Uke upgrade help please.

I put low G on all my ukes so I will be replacing them anyways. If the Cordoba 35TS lives up to the hype I think it deserves the best strings I can find.

I like the sound of low G and the fact that I can hit the G below middle C when playing melodies. Got the 3, 4 and 5 chord song books by Hal Leonard, they are supposed to be ukulele song books but half the songs go below middle C which means a standard tuned uke could not play the melodys.

For low-g, I like a Fremont Soloist low-g string combined with Worth Clears. I think I might like it even better with the new aNueNue Clear Water strings as they have lower tension, but I haven't tested it yet. Sound-wise, the Soloist fits really well with the Worth CT set. (I dislike the thuddiness of plain low-g strings, but some folks do like them.)

Okay, I have Aquila nyglut, Aquila reds, Worth clears, and Fremont strings on order, all low G tuning for the Cordoba 35ts. Will see which sounds best. If I can find someone with decent recording equipment and I can figure out how to do it I will try to post sound bites if anyone is interested.

A huge thank you to everyone that responded, you made me aware of options that I would not have even thought of.

I like the wound low-G string that comes with the Red Series (if you did get the set with the wound string). I would use that one with the other reds, it fits very well. It's a red string inside too, which is probably why it goes so well with the reds. For other strings, I prefer the Fremont Soloist.

I like the wound low-G string that comes with the Red Series (if you did get the set with the wound string). I would use that one with the other reds, it fits very well. It's a red string inside too, which is probably why it goes so well with the reds. For other strings, I prefer the Fremont Soloist.

Drats, I got the blacks! Looked at fremonts because you mentioned them but didn't pay attention to the type. Breaking in 4 sets will keep me busy enough for the next month I think. Is there a string testing thread I should move to?

Both Outdoor and Córdoba ukuleles will do just fine. An Outdoor ukulele is slated for my fleet someday. My main uke is a concert flea, and I also enjoy my Tenor Cedar Mainland too. I live in the next town over from Mike, and have visited his shop several times; playing every ukulele hanging on the wall. I purchased the Tenor as a second for a really good deal, and couldn't even see the blem until it was pointed to. It plays better than my plastic fretted Flea, but they each sound unique, and do not disappoint. Surprisingly, my Flea has more low-end sound, and is fairly loud too, but has higher action >0.125". My ML tenor has more treble, and speaks a little softer; but plays easier, with lower action.

I'm having the Flea checked, because I think the action may be out of specs. (They are reputed to have good actions).

Last edited:
Okay, I have Aquila nyglut, Aquila reds, Worth clears, and Fremont strings on order, all low G tuning for the Cordoba 35ts. Will see which sounds best. If I can find someone with decent recording equipment and I can figure out how to do it I will try to post sound bites if anyone is interested.

A huge thank you to everyone that responded, you made me aware of options that I would not have even thought of.

when you get through all of that - I'm a big fan of the Oasis strings - in particular the Oasis Warms.

I found an amazing deal on a Cordoba 35TS tenor ($215). My big question is what strings should I put on the Cordoba? I usually go with Aquila said:
I think you you found a smoking deal on the Cordoba, provided it is in good shape! I have the 32T (Spruce/Rosewood) and suspect that the tone may be similar to the 35TS. I liked the sound but not the feel of the original Aquilla Nylgut strings and switched out to Reds. The Reds were clear and bright with a nice finger feel for picking. But alas, the A string snapped while the uke was in the storage cabinet. I switched out the set with Worth Brown. I thing they sound a bit more "Reedy" but are still clear and bright. The Cordoba remains loud regardless of the strings I've tried. Unfortunately, my Cordoba just doesn't get much play time. I prefer the thicker neck and fuller sound of my other tenor, a Pono Mango. When I return home, the Cordoba is going to be fitted with a low G. Good luck, I hope you enjoy your new Ukulele(s). Don

Top Bottom