Yamaha THR5A amplifier

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
If you are looking for a "small" amp that can run on batteries or plug in and has GREAT sound this it. I have a Fishman Loudbox mini that I love and is considered one of the very best of the smaller traditional type amps. So why another amp if the Fishman is so good........why more than one uke.

There are a number of features that make this a worthy addition. It sounds great, most important feature. It is small enough to throw in a day pack or just carry it, weighs just a couple pounds. It runs off of batteries (or plug in), you can play a mp3 player or your computer through it.

The "A" in THRA stands for acoustic and it has some very cool features. It is designed to model different microphones, as if you were standing in front of a studio mic and playing unplugged. It has 5 different types of mic models to choose from and also a blend knob that lets you go from your pick up sound "direct" to blending in the mic modeling sound you have chosen. There is 6 effects you can add like, chours, reverb, compression, delay etc. All of the features have a very distinct and worth while effect on the tone, as do the mic models. You can get lost for hours and hours just experimenting with different sounds.

Brenda needed an amp and this came highly recommended to her from Campbell. I went along with her and I ended up buying one as well. The store has a 30 day money back guarantee so I figured I would test it out and return it if not happy or if it seemed redundant. I am keeping this!!!! Picture of the Yamaha sitting on top of the Loudbox mini which is not a big amp to begin with

1490102574383705879150.jpg

Last edited:
Nice... I love little Amps and that thing is on my short list.

Congratulations Dave. Thanks for your review. I also thought about buying one too but what's holding me back is the low output, only 10 watts. Is it loud enough in a group or coffee shop environment? Or did you plan on using it for in-home use only? When you get a chance, let us know how it performs outside the home.

"Nice... I love little Amps and that thing is on my short list.
•Framus 6197 Tenor
•Gretsch G9470 Clarophone Banjo Ukulele
•Hadean UKB22 UBass Zebrawood
•Ibanez Uew10qm Ew Concert
•Kala KA-S Soprano
•Kala KA-SSTU-T Travel Tenor
•Kay Soprano (Plastic Fretboard 1950s)
•Koalana Soprano (first gen.)
•Lanakai LB6-S Soprano Banjolele
•Lanakai LQA-C Concert
•Lanakai LU21T Tenor
•Luna Tattoo Electric Concert
•Outdoor Ukulele Black #35
•Outdoor Ukulele Transparent
•Werco Metal Necked Soprano
•Zeynel Abidin Cumbus Ukulele
•Zither Heaven Cherry Banjo Ukulele Tenor"

You really have a "short" list somewhere? ��

I have always been against using electronic enhancement unless you are performing on stage. My LFdM sounds perfectly fine as it is if any of you have watched my video. I did not want to see any ugly wire inside my sound hole.

When Dave plugged in my newly acquired Kinnard Kiku to his Fishman Amp. WOW and WOW I was immediately blow away. It brought out the richness of the bass, the clean notes, the hummer on, the slide.....everything I couldn't hear before suddenly came out like a pro . It not only improved the sound quality , it made me question myself - is it really me playing because it sounds too good to be me.

I was immediately SOLD on the idea so we ran out and bought the Yamaha . I don't like big heavy thing , this is just perfect for my need. It sits on my table. It has a vintage look so it matches well to any room decor.. The result is surprisingly well even comparing to a bigger size AMP. It is very light weight. I just can't say enough how this little thing proved me wrong of not liking electronic enhancement .

Campbell (Camsuke) being my biggest enabler has just sent me a K & K pre-amp . It suppose to further enhance this little unit. I am looking forward to receiving it. Now I am having all my ukes installed with a pick-up. I can no longer play without one. ha ha

I am a very soft fingers picker, my audio recording are usually too quiet. This AMP enhanced my handicap perfectly.

SOUND SAMPLE:
I placed my I-phone 7 Plus ( it has better mic than other I-phone models) directly in front of the AMP . Have a listen . This is raw recording. No editing added. No external mic.

https://soundcloud.com/brenda-lee-wong/kiku-test

Last edited:
Great to hear- was thinking about this- thanks for the review!

Dang it, Dave! First, you encouraged me to satisfy my desire for a Baritone, now I want to put a pick up in it and buy a Yamaha THR5A amp. Really loving my Baritone BTW.

Dang it, Dave! First, you encouraged me to satisfy my desire for a Baritone, now I want to put a pick up in it and buy a Yamaha THR5A amp. Really loving my Baritone BTW.

Haha, very cool Cliff. Brenda (solorule) has the very same model of baritone that you have. I was playing it on Saturday at her house before we went out to buy the amps. I have always liked the sound of it and now she has it strung with Aquila Reds and it is very impressive.

I am a proud enabler of all things ukulele Cliff. Glad to help :smileybounce:

I can vouch for that! I play at informal pub sessions snd my fingerstyle uke just gets lost unamplified but the THR5A gives it just the boost it needs so people can hear. A touch of chorus and some reverb really enhances atmospheric slow aires as well. Highly recommended!

x28ec5.jpg

Haha, very cool Cliff. Brenda (solorule) has the very same model of baritone that you have. I was playing it on Saturday at her house before we went out to buy the amps. I have always liked the sound of it and now she has it strung with Aquila Reds and it is very impressive.

Dave Did I hear you say RED??? Now I am a believer of of using AMP. May be I will soon be seeing some RED on Dave's children?? Sorry I can't help myself when I saw the word RED. I know it is unrelated to this thread.

Well here I go again thanks to Dave. I have the Phil Jones bass double 4 small amp that gives a clean sound but this Yamaha sounds like it may be the ticket for a bit of sound effects. By the way Dave, The string reccomendation you gave for the UL-4 made a big difference on it. May try them on my Chennell arch top before deciding to change it back to nylon.

Is there a big difference between the THRA $199.99 and the THRA10 going for $299.99?

As far as I know, the THR5A is a dedicated acoustic amp whereas the THR10 models are electric modelling amps with a single acoustic setting. I've got the THR10C 'Blues' model which models vintage tube amps. The controls are a bit fiddly but it's possible to get some amazingly accurate tube tones from it.

Last edited:
Well here I go again thanks to Dave. I have the Phil Jones bass double 4 small amp that gives a clean sound but this Yamaha sounds like it may be the ticket for a bit of sound effects. By the way Dave, The string reccomendation you gave for the UL-4 made a big difference on it. May try them on my Chennell arch top before deciding to change it back to nylon.

Is there a big difference between the THRA $199.99 and the THRA10 going for $299.99?

I am so glad you like the Thomastik wounds on your UL4. As Picker Jon said the THR5A is the only amp Yamaha makes specifically dedicated to acoustic sound. I have heard the THR10C that he has is suppose be ok with acoustics.There are a pile of great youtube videos doing comparisons and explaining all the features.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting Dave. I've tried a lot of amplifiers and, hands down, the THR5A has been the best.
Nice playing SoloRule;);)

Hey.......I didn't know you were into amps. You an old rock and roller from way back no doubt. Am I right in assuming you own a THR5A

Gerald Ross uses this amp (or maybe the 10) when performing. That says something.

I kind of wish I'd bought one of these instead of the Roland AC-33, which is more amp than I need.

I have the THR10 that I use with my Gibson CS-356 electric guitar, and I can attest that it is quite the amp, and plenty loud for a typical room. None of my ukes have pickups, so I haven't tried the 10 yet with a uke. The model 10 has some preset and additional modelling features that are great for electric guitar, but wouldn't help much with a uke.

Top Bottom