Quilted Dreams

saltytri

Reaction score
One of the things about building instruments that I enjoy is prowling around looking for really good wood. Some days you get lucky, most days you don't. On the rarest of days you get lucky twice. Today was one of those. These large boards of beautifully quilted maple and makore came home with me today:

32765998963_f5ff6761e4_c.jpg

32737296604_86e4966846_c.jpg

Last edited:
that's gonna make some special ukes! :drool:

Wow! That is spectacular! I bet you can't wait to get to building :)

How would you describe makore as a tonewood?

What wonderful scores, David!

You are making this bonafide quilt-addict sweat profusely at this moment! ;-)

Stunning! How thick are those boards? Do you use them as is, or need to slice them thinner for building ukes?

The boards are about an inch thick. They are sliced on a bandsaw to about .1" and then sanded to the correct thickness.

What wonderful scores, David!

You are making this bonafide quilt-addict sweat profusely at this moment! ;-)

The twelve-step program for that condition is to buy twelve quilted instruments. You're not there quite yet, are you? ;)

The twelve-step program for that condition is to buy twelve quilted instruments. You're not there quite yet, are you? ;)

That is kinda like the 12 Days of Christmas.......12 quilted maples and sound poooort on the side. :music:

Dave you are such an enabler......I love it and those pictures

Eddie might be writhing on the floor if it weren't for his beautiful new sapele by Josh. :rolleyes:

Wow, nice. I've never heard of thatwood, it sure is unusual, and beautiful. If it sounds as good as it looks.....

Nickie, It will probably be paired with a softwood top so the tonal properties of the makore will be of little importance. It certainly is decorative, though!

Wow, both are beautiful, but the Makore has the most multi-dimensional quilting I have ever seen. Nice score!

I am blessed with a spalted quilted maple ukulele that is so stunning in its looks and sound that a fellow with the initials JS asked if I would like him to autograph it, and another fellow with the initials AJ said he did not mind signing behind JS's initials. Another fellow on the list said it reminds him of the sand of the bottom of the ocean and he calls it "Bahama Blue" It was stained dark walnut so the grain variations are really noticeable. In 1982 I was given an Oregon Myrtle gun stalk blank that is all 4 sides full length quilted. I never could bring myself to waste so much beautiful wood for just a gun stalk. In 2013 it told me it wanted to be thin sliced and be made into ukuleles. Brad Donaldson made a concert pineapple that has the neck and peghead as solid myrtle, and the body a concert pineapple with the sound hole as a ( shape at the A string lower bout, and a small side port at the front of the G side. It is trimmed in quilted maple that he chose. The Myrle and maple areboth natural colours for contrast. The myrtleis naturally a light walnut colour. Naturally, both are quipped with the short stem PEGHEDS, and Aquila white strings.

Top Bottom