Long neck soprano

Number of frets to the body mostly indicates where the bridge is at. My tenor has 12 frets to the body, so the saddle is in a more ideal position (better sound, I feel), but the scale length and fret spacing are the same as with other tenor scale 14 fretters. It's the same for sopranos with 14 frets to the body that don't have a concert scale.

I've got a Kala SLNG and totally love it. I still marvel that such a good instrument (it projects, has great tone) could cost $92. Can't go wrong there

I have one Kala SLNG and it's the one I use when I leave my house. My only complain is the intonation, it's not great in higher frets. I've tried it with the original Aquila strings and not with Martins, and still has the same intonation problem.

I am leaning towards the Kala SLNG or the SSLNG right now. Emarcano, did you get the uke professionally set up?

I am leaning towards the Kala SLNG or the SSLNG right now. Emarcano, did you get the uke professionally set up?

Nope, bought it at a local store. Didn't know about setup back then. I changed the saddle it had for a copy made of bone. Action is OK but all strings are somewhat sharp at the 12th fret. Nevertheless, I still enjoy it very much. Love the soprano body with concert scale. My UAS tells me to get the spruce and the koa version to get the whole family :)

Eugenio

Last edited:
Thanks Eugenio. I am still thinking about the spruce top one (SSLNG) but the Koa is a little steep priced for me right now. Maybe when you get the whole family, you could do a review...I'd love to see it. Thanks again.

Jim

I have a Kala SLNG and have been happily playing it for the last year. The intonation on mine is fine all the way up the neck and on every string, the nut hasn't been touched but I plan to a some point - would help with barring the first fret.
At 35mm the nut is standard width and my fingers are happier with something wider, but it works for now. The SNLG sounds fine to me, only the driver holds it back.

I have been playing a Leolani Zebra wood LNS. It has a better sound tone and projection than a concert from another manufacturer and is prettier as an added bonus. It is new for $115.00 or for 125.00 add a strap and two buttons, or 135.00 get a strap and a tuner, or 145.00 strap-tuner-softside gigbag.Shipping is what it actually costs with no handling charge.

An excellent basic LNS is the Famous FLS-60. If you can find one, it should be no more than about $250 shipped from Asia. Famous is Kiwaya's domestic Japanese label. It is an all mahogany laminate. I have one as my office uke; nice sound and fine play-ability.

I suggest the Ohana that's all solid mahogany, matte finish. The model number/name slips me but other people have probably mentioned it, and Mim sells it. At least I got it from her, not 100% positive she has one for sale now.

I have been playing a Leolani Zebra wood LNS. It has a better sound tone and projection than a concert from another manufacturer and is prettier as an added bonus. It is new for $115.00 or for 125.00 add a strap and two buttons, or 135.00 get a strap and a tuner, or 145.00 strap-tuner-softside gigbag.Shipping is what it actually costs with no handling charge.

Where did you find this one?

I suggest the Ohana that's all solid mahogany, matte finish. The model number/name slips me but other people have probably mentioned it, and Mim sells it. At least I got it from her, not 100% positive she has one for sale now.

The Ohana SK30L is a tenor scale soprano bodied solid mahogany uke, (but they do have a more expensive concert scaled one).

Top Bottom