Lazy string changer

Many string sets cost $15 - $20 by the time they are delivered to Australia or bought in a shop. 50 x $15 = $750. If you change strings every week when you really don't need to it will cost you $750 a year, getting close to the price of a nicer uke. If you have a lazy $750 lying around or if you are a professional musician, this is not really a problem. But if you are a person who is working to a tight budget, it pays to get maximum value out of your strings. Plastic strings can last for several years on some ukes, and they hold their tune and sound ok. Wound strings wont last several years, more like a month maximum if you play them a lot.
In many cases you can get the sound of the uke to change just by varying your playing technique. If you have an action that is 2mm high, you will be surprised when you do some work and realise that you can get three or four fretting heights, each with a different sound, just by controlling your fretting fingers. There are a few cm from the join to the bridge where you can hit the strings, you can learn several picking or fretting positions, each of which will have a different sound. And you can learn how to use them all in a single three minute tune if you feel like it, you do not have to stick with the same technique all the time. Add in a pick, and you get more possibilities. Fretting and picking technique does not cost any money, picks cost less than $1, you can get a lot of mileage out of your strings without spending more money.
I like to spend money on things that last like ukes and music books, strings are consumables, they can be expensive consumables if you are not careful in how often you change them and how you use them.
Realistically if you change strings every week and you know what you like, you would be better off finding a way to bulk buy strings. You either get the fishing line in the right sizes or just find the discount thresholds from your string seller, often a box of ten costs less per unit than a single packet. However, if you do want to buy in bulk you need to be using the strings.

I usually read your posts and just shake my head, cause you are really out there. But I feel you are taking a shot at me, I saw your comment in the Moore Bettah post about "people who like to spend $750.00 a week changing the strings on their $200.00 uke". This doesn't suprise me as you always come off as very opinionated.

You don't seem to get the point of my thread. That was.........after changing strings on three of my ukes the sound was noticably better because the old strings were on there for over one year and I play those ukes a lot.

Last edited:
Sorry DownUpDave I would be surprised if you actually owned a $200 uke, you seem to talk about more expensive ukes in your posts. My comment on the other thread was a deliberate exaggeration to illustrate a point, it was not intended to be a personal attack on anyone, sorry if you felt it was directed to your personally.
Thanks for the compliments, being opinionated is what recreational music is all about and everyone who likes to be creative really does want to be out there. Anyone who is not opinionated or out there is generally very boring musically and creatively.

Fair enough Bill, sorry if I took it the wrong way. I agree about opinionated people "not" being boring and I have certainly learned some valuable things reading your posts

Cheers

I was one to always change strings frequently (about 3 months). I tried an experiment and went a full year on one of my instruments. When I did change I could hear a HUGE difference. I am now back to 3 to 6 months for a change. My theory is if you hear the difference in the new set you waited to long. I am using flouro carbons that I pay $5 for high G and $7.50 for low G.

Fair enough Bill, sorry if I took it the wrong way. I agree about opinionated people "not" being boring and I have certainly learned some valuable things reading your posts

Cheers

My understanding of an 'opinionated' person is someone who has an opinion on everything but doesn't actually know very much. They're often a rag bag of prejudices and very irritating.

I don't think that fits Bill1 at all. He may have opinions on many aspects of music but these are always backed up with the knowledge he clearly has. I may not always agree with him but I respect his knowledge of music. It's someone like that who's interesting. They have opinions, yes but they also have knowledge to back the knowledge up but what really makes them interesting is a willingness to go out on a limb and go against the accepted view if they believe it to be wrong even if they are in a minority.

I usually write the string change date on the empty string packaging and keep that in the case...........because I not only forget to change the strings, but I forget what brand of strings are on a particular uke!

I like to do that too.

Finally got around to changing the wounds on my baritone - what a difference!

Now I've just got to wait for them to settle in :rolleyes:

What? Beer isn't all the same?

Actually they do taste the same if you drink enough of them. Ever hear of "three beer bands"? This concept (to many beers) could solve the whole string question too. Strings sounding bad, have another beer. ;)

I haven't been noting down the date but am inspired to start next string change. Thanks

Top Bottom