Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ukuleles are our musical instruments.

Default Ukuleles are our musical instruments.

I didn't want to rain on Cassie's thread, and I realize that some people really become emotionally attached to their ukuleles. And like life, for some that turns out to be a long term commitment, for most it appears, it lasts until the next one comes walking by. For me, after three years of playing the ukulele, I have not bonded emotionally with either or any of my ukuleles. I like my ukuleles, don't think that I don't, but they are just ukuleles to me. I'll go ahead and admit that I have an emotional attachment to making music, but not to my uke. So let's take it from there.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.
    There's more than one road into Richmond. Lil' Rev
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LEY9E_W5sw

I'm somewhere between those views. I loosely bond with the ukuleles that I had for some time in a way that is much less than how I'd feel about a living thing, say a pet or to a lesser degree a potted plant, but there is a deeper connection than with a device like a computer or a desk lamp. They are tools to me, but with an added sentimental value, with more attachment than I generally feel about stuff. I don't name them, don't talk to them, and if I lost them, I'd miss them as something that I'm used to and familiar with, but there'd be other ukuleles to play, enjoy, express myself through, and that I'd eventually like just the same way.
    Current main players: Moon Bird concert and Barron River tenor. My other ukes are listed on my profile page.

It probably depends upon the person, as anyone can get attached to anything. I think that anyone with musical capabilities expresses their emotions through their music. It is their feelings that are shared through sound, via musical instrument of their choice. Because of the nature of the emotions being shared, I can see how one may become attached with their instruments. I know what you mean Rllink, as I myself have been playing since I was eight years old and did not bond much with the instruments through the years. For some reason, though, the uke though is such a cute little thing! Plus they are pricey, so if you have a good one, you oughta pay attention at least to the maintenance of it. Same goes with bonsai, lol (at least the uke does not drop leaves and die on you though).
    It's not what you've got. It's how you play it

Just in case you didn't realise - Cassie has sight impairement, which is why I think she feels more attached to her little Kalea, it has opened up her life to music.

OK, now on to the subject of this thread - I don't know that I have 'bonded' with any of my ukes, but I do like them all, to a greater or lesser degree.
    I would miss them, if anything happened to them, but they are all replaceable - I haven't gone in for custom ukes.

My 'collection', which is probably what some of you would call them, have slightly differing tones, & are of different shapes & styles, & this is likely why I do have so many - I like the less than usual looks of them as much as I appreciate their differences in tone.
    Keith M --> likes a long neck - & baritone.

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    I didn't want to rain on Cassie's thread, and I realize that some people really become emotionally attached to their ukuleles. And like life, for some that turns out to be a long term commitment, for most it appears, it lasts until the next one comes walking by. For me, after three years of playing the ukulele, I have not bonded emotionally with either or any of my ukuleles. I like my ukuleles, don't think that I don't, but they are just ukuleles to me. I'll go ahead and admit that I have an emotional attachment to making music, but not to my uke. So let's take it from there.
    I agree with you on this and wanted to comment on this phenomenon here on this forum which I found personally peculiar (nothing wrong about it, just found it peculiar) but wanted someone with more venerability to address this.

I feel the same. I have emotional and soul move towards music. And my pursuit of it I use these instruments as tools. I am passionate about the learning and practice of music though. Technique and musicality. Sometimes, in a way, bonding to the instrument is key though.
    All for sale; pm me:

Esteve 8 classical cedar rosewood all solid guitar (mint condition in HSC, $950)

This is an awesome thread.
    As a person who still owns my first guitar and has an unnatural love of vintage instruments, you'd think I would fall on the emotional attachment side of the fence.
    But at the end of the day they're just tools and it's probably better to reserve my emotional attachments for humans and not objects.
    But instruments are beautiful in the same way art is and there's nothing wrong with being moved by a piece of art.
    I love hand crafted items because as a builder I know that I've put my imagination and have spent hours thinking and day dreaming about my projects. Each to me is a one of a kind piece of art. I don't know if the same is true of a mass produced ukulele but you can still admire there beauty.
    Last edited by Rob Uker; 03-28-2017 at 08:26 AM.
    Rob Uker
    RIGuitars & Ukuleles
    One of a kind handmade instruments
    https://m.facebook.com/RIGuitars/

Quote Originally Posted by uke1950 View Post
    Just in case you didn't realise - Cassie has sight impairement, which is why I think she feels more attached to her little Kalea, it has opened up her life to music.

I realize that, and I appreciate it. That is why I didn't go off in this direction on her thread. I also appreciate all of the like minded people who do feel the same attachment to their ukes. I also appreciate those who can not function without a ukulele withing arms reach. I just don't. That's why I started a different thread. I didn't feel that commenting to her thread would be appropriate in my case.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.
    There's more than one road into Richmond. Lil' Rev
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LEY9E_W5sw

To some it's an instrument and a hobby.
    To some it's a voice, and they have something they need to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    I realize that, and I appreciate it. That is why I didn't go off in this direction on her thread. I also appreciate all of the like minded people who do feel the same attachment to their ukes. I also appreciate those who can not function without a ukulele withing arms reach. I just don't. That's why I started a different thread. I didn't feel that commenting to her thread would be appropriate in my case.
    Well said Rolli, I get the drift of your thread.

At the start of this ukulele endeavor I got kinda attached to my first really good uke. The sound.....oh the sound and the feel and the finish. I still do admire and appreciate a well made, beautiful looking instrument. But as my playing proficiency increased ( some would question that) I fell more in love with being able to make music, just like you Rolli.

Ukes have become the instrument I make music with. Some have a few scratches and dings and dents. In the beginning this would have mortified me, now it shows I love them enough to play them into sawdust
    Last edited by DownUpDave; 03-28-2017 at 09:31 AM.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

I'm glad you started this thread, I too didn't want to push Cassie's thread in this direction, so I didn't post my feelings. I'm a gadget freak, which for me also includes musical instruments. I have an attachment to my ukes and basses because in most cases I've designed or modified them, but at all times they're inanimate objects. I don't name them, other than the manufacturer or style name. I enjoy using them for their intended purpose, to make music, and that they are also aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

UU Group Affiliations: Los Angelukes, Custom Uke Owners
    Member of The CC Strummers, see us in action: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos
    Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, an organization that provides ukuleles to kids in hospital music therapy programs
    and please make sure to like them on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/UkuleleKidsClubInc

Thread Information