D'Addario tuner

I've had a clip-on tuner that also buzzed when the instrument played certain notes (frequencies), though it was a different brand. The buzz came from inside the casing and really only happened with some notes -- when shaken, it didn't rattle.

After seeing your post, I tried shaking my tuner. It is the buttons that vibrate.

It sounds like you are questioning my honesty.
Believe me, I am not. Not at all. Nor am I in any way affiliated with D'Addario or any reseller of that tuner. I am just in the lucky position of never having had the slightest problem with this tuner - which is why every new uke of mine still gets her own micro headstock tuner.

After seeing your post, I tried shaking my tuner. It is the buttons that vibrate.
Glad you found the root cause.

A few months ago, Musicians Friend had them on sale for under $10, I bought three. I was never a fan of keeping a tuner clipped on while playing, but I just leave these on, easier to use than a bulky Snark. Leave it firmly clipped on and you won't lose it.

Believe me, I am not. Not at all. Nor am I in any way affiliated with D'Addario or any reseller of that tuner. I am just in the lucky position of never having had the slightest problem with this tuner - which is why every new uke of mine still gets her own micro headstock tuner.

Glad you found the root cause.

Understood. I wasn't really claiming that you were affiliated with D'Addario, I was just trying to make a point. It's all good though.

I could probably return the tuner to D'Addario or write them an e-mail but it's really not that important to me since it was inexpensive and I have another tuner.

I would not get used to the buzzing vibrations that come from the tuner if left on a uke while you play. I have tried tightening the tuner to the headstock to no vail. It still buzzes. And due to the nature of the ratcheting attachment system its a bit of a pain to install and uninstall everytime I tune.

I have several of these tuners, and they all have the same problem, at least on ukes with normal headstocks. On the one slotted headstock I have, though, there's no buzzing. I still like them quite a bit, precisely because they're so small.

And I agree with bratsche that fifths-tuned instruments, especially bowed ones, are quite a bit easier to tune by ear than a ukulele, especially one where the intonation is suspect at various frets.

David

Bought a couple 2packs when they came out a few years back (I think MF had 2packs on sale for $10). I liked their size. They were very unobtrusive and I too usually placed them under the headstock. I hate the look of big tuners left clipped on. My Snark looks like an alien landed on my soprano. I did find them a bit hard for my not so great eyes to see the micro tuners. The Snark is certainly clear for me, not just the larger size letter, but also with the bars leading up to in key or past in key and the color change. I had no problem with them rattling and I believe they are accurate enough. I was surprised though when I just realized recently that all four of my micro tuners were gone. I can only guess that if you use them long enough, in the process of putting your uke in and out of the case, they can loosen up just enough to fall off. Perhaps they were just "borrowed" by someone. Don't know, but one by one, they have all disappeared. If I see a good buy on them again, I would repurchase despite some issues.

Buzz city! These work great as tuners but buzz like crazy on all of my ukuleles.

I had 2 of these, both had loose parts that caused LOUD sympathetic buzzing on certain notes. A shame really, other than that the design is neat but I'll stick with my Snarks.

I could probably return the tuner to D'Addario or write them an e-mail
Please do it for the sake of feedback to manufacturer. If they never get (enough) complaints about buzzing buttons they will for sure never ever start thinking about a solution.
And maybe they'll even exchange your tuner for a silent one to make you a happy customer again.

I like em alot, but the Snark spring load mechanism stays on better. My D'Addario flew off my uke today, still looking for it in my office :mad: Oh, just found it, it had flipped into the trash can next to my desk.

Last edited:
As I posted earlier, I have about 12 on my various ukes and basses and none buzz. They clamp nice and tight on my headstocks. Lately I've actually started using a bit of foam double face tape to attach them to the body, been working well that way too.

Last edited:
Please do it for the sake of feedback to manufacturer. If they never get (enough) complaints about buzzing buttons they will for sure never ever start thinking about a solution.
And maybe they'll even exchange your tuner for a silent one to make you a happy customer again.

You have convinced me to contact D'Addario. I e-mailed them today.

I ordered a two pack that arrived today, about $20 for the pair off eBay...one buzzes, the other doesn't. Looks like an e-mail to D'Addario.

George at D'Addario was nice enough to send me a replacement for the buzzing NS tuner I mentioned earlier in this thread. Unfortunately, the new tuner buzzes as well. I'm glad the rest of you are having good luck with these but I'm done with them.

George at D'Addario was nice enough to send me a replacement for the buzzing NS tuner I mentioned earlier in this thread. Unfortunately, the new tuner buzzes as well. I'm glad the rest of you are having good luck with these but I'm done with them.

After ignoring it for a year or so, I started using my Polytune. My view on it shifted from feeling it's overpriced (for use with a uke) to thinking it's actually pretty neat. At least once I got used to the display. It is built really well.

The fellow from D'Addario replied and said, "Apart from putting tape on the buttons, nothing will stop that buzz." But he did invite me to send in the tuner for replacement.

I decided to try his suggestion...first with a piece of Scotch Tape. When the Scotch tape wears out, I'll try clear packing tape. I cut the tape into a diamond pattern that covers all 4 buttons.

IMG_4290.jpg

Ultimately, a leading company in string accessories (and Woodwind accessories) should not be selling a tuner that buzzes, but since I bought a two pack, I decided I might as well try this for a while. I don't think I would buy more at the moment.

I've 9 of them and I've not had any problems with buzzing. I mostly have mine clipped to the top of the headstock as most of my ukes have friction tuners and I find they get in the way of the tuner buttons if they're fitted underneath. I fit them underneath where I can.

Top Bottom