Ab7 alternatives? Technique?

ceobob

Reaction score
Been playing now for about a year. I know to master new chords it is all about repetition. This Ab7 is killing me though. I am currently learning it with the 1323 position. Similar to what they are showing here:
https://ukulele-chords.com/Ab7

I am doing a progression from a Dm to the Ab7 to a Bb. No problems with the Dm or Bb though. I checked out the alternatives. Barring looks great, but I really don't want to go down all the way to the 9th fret. The 5th fret way looks just as much a hassle than the 1323 way. I guess I am just impatient :) Any tricks or techniques anybody can share will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I play it just as is pictured on that site you linked to.

I think maybe a good way to learn it is to start by learning to play a G7 chord using just middle, ring and pinky fingers, leaving the index finger free. It's then just a case of moving that shape up one fret and putting the index finger down on the G string at fret 1. Splitting a chord in to two like that can make it a lot easier to form than trying to lunge for the whole chord with all four fingers in one go.

Having said all that, I notice the ukulele helper suggests you could use 1023. http://ukulelehelper.com

p.s. Welcome to UU Forums!

Last edited:
I started practicing it by first only using middle/ring/pinky finger, and when I got that down, I added the index finger.

Ab7 at 1323 is easier than you think. This is how I got it.

First, you already know G7 (0323). So take a song you know which has plenty of G7s in, but finger them with fingers 2, 3, and 4 (i.e. don't use your index finger).

Once you can play G7 comfortably like this, slide the shape up one fret and then simply place your index finger on the G string 1st fret. Result, a perfect Ab7!

Alternatively, do you already have Cdim down pat (2323)? In which case, take that chord and slide your index finger down one fret. I find I need to move my wrist forward slightly. Practice for a bit, and there you have it.

Last edited:
perhaps this is taking things a bit far... however, try playing songs in the key of C#,
meaning barring the first fret and playing the C, Am, F, and G7 shapes with your
remaining fingers.

that way you'll also be 'practicing' C#, Bbm, F#, as well as Ab7... just saying.

also, you'll then be able to play in just about every key using the same shapes, just
starting at different frets.

I used to do this when I only knew the key of C, but wanted to play songs from the
radio as I was hearing them. Once I found the key, by sliding the barred C shape
up the neck, I simply played along and sang in whatever key it happened to be in.

a great finger exercise, and helps one NOT be afraid of barre chords or other keys :)

after all, Necessity is... :)

keep uke'in',

First, you already know G7 (0323). So take a song you know which has plenty of G7s in, but finger them with fingers 2, 3, and 4 (i.e. don't use your index finger).

Once you can play G7 comfortably like this, slide the shape up one fret and then simply place your index finger on the G string 1st fret. Result, a perfect Ab7!

Alternatively, do you already have Cdim down pat (2323)? In which case, take that chord and slide your index finger down one fret. I find I need to move my wrist forward slightly. Practice for a bit, and there you have it.

All excellent replies. Thanks so much. I think I am going to go with this method. I have tried it a few times already and it is already feeling more natural.

This is the only chord which I use my thumb on. I suppose the purists will say I am wrong, but it works for me with my thumb on fret 1 on the g string and the rest as a g7 chord as normal.

This is the only chord which I use my thumb on. I suppose the purists will say I am wrong, but it works for me with my thumb on fret 1 on the g string and the rest as a g7 chord as normal.

Yep. Me too.

I can't use my thumb on any chords - it doesn't reach.

I usually either play 6-4-6-5 for the Ab7 (since I play 5-3-5-4 for a G7), or 3-2-3-x, and just ignore the G string.

It all depends on if you are doing a strum, plucking out a melody, lingering on the chord, or a fast change... and how it sounds to you.

Or, you could just try playing the G#7.....

I know, I've already been called that.....

That's exactly how I learned it couple of months ago. The key is to train your pinky!

One little exercise I try to do every day is to play the easy C-F-G7-C-G7-C progression with your middle,ring and pinky. Do not use your index finger.

The more you work out your pinky, the more advanced stuff your fingers will be able to play!

It doesn't sound like you're having trouble playing the chord, but fitting it in with the progression. The solution to your frustration is in your question. You must practice.
Practicing is not the same as playing. Put in the time playing the passage very slowly, and never speed up. After some weeks or months, you will wonder what the problem was.
It all falls apart when our patience fails us. We get close and decide we can go at performance tempo after a few minutes. Doesn't work that way.

or 3-2-3-x, and just ignore the G string.

This is my approach. Science and astrology tell us that Ab7 is just a passing chord and you will not hang out there long... ever. Three fingers are plenty.

Top Bottom