Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ab7 alternatives? Technique?

Default Ab7 alternatives? Technique?

Been playing now for about a year. I know to master new chords it is all about repetition. This Ab7 is killing me though. I am currently learning it with the 1323 position. Similar to what they are showing here:
    https://ukulele-chords.com/Ab7

I am doing a progression from a Dm to the Ab7 to a Bb. No problems with the Dm or Bb though. I checked out the alternatives. Barring looks great, but I really don't want to go down all the way to the 9th fret. The 5th fret way looks just as much a hassle than the 1323 way. I guess I am just impatient Any tricks or techniques anybody can share will be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by ceobob; 03-31-2017 at 01:00 AM.

I play it just as is pictured on that site you linked to.

I think maybe a good way to learn it is to start by learning to play a G7 chord using just middle, ring and pinky fingers, leaving the index finger free. It's then just a case of moving that shape up one fret and putting the index finger down on the G string at fret 1. Splitting a chord in to two like that can make it a lot easier to form than trying to lunge for the whole chord with all four fingers in one go.

Having said all that, I notice the ukulele helper suggests you could use 1023. http://ukulelehelper.com

p.s. Welcome to UU Forums!
    Last edited by jimavery; 03-31-2017 at 01:49 AM. Reason: p.s.

I started practicing it by first only using middle/ring/pinky finger, and when I got that down, I added the index finger.
    Current main players: Moon Bird concert and Barron River tenor. My other ukes are listed on my profile page.

Ab7 at 1323 is easier than you think. This is how I got it.

First, you already know G7 (0323). So take a song you know which has plenty of G7s in, but finger them with fingers 2, 3, and 4 (i.e. don't use your index finger).

Once you can play G7 comfortably like this, slide the shape up one fret and then simply place your index finger on the G string 1st fret. Result, a perfect Ab7!

Alternatively, do you already have Cdim down pat (2323)? In which case, take that chord and slide your index finger down one fret. I find I need to move my wrist forward slightly. Practice for a bit, and there you have it.
    Last edited by ProfChris; 03-31-2017 at 03:37 AM.

Barre the first fret, and keep it there for the Bb chord.

perhaps this is taking things a bit far... however, try playing songs in the key of C#,
    meaning barring the first fret and playing the C, Am, F, and G7 shapes with your
    remaining fingers.

that way you'll also be 'practicing' C#, Bbm, F#, as well as Ab7... just saying.

also, you'll then be able to play in just about every key using the same shapes, just
    starting at different frets.

I used to do this when I only knew the key of C, but wanted to play songs from the
    radio as I was hearing them. Once I found the key, by sliding the barred C shape
    up the neck, I simply played along and sang in whatever key it happened to be in.

a great finger exercise, and helps one NOT be afraid of barre chords or other keys

after all, Necessity is...

keep uke'in',
    Uncle Rod Higuchi
    ( rohiguchi@gmail.com )

MP3s: http://www.mediafire.com/?50db7nls4o6m6
    Ukulele Boot Camp, FREE Songbook, Holiday Songbook & More: http://ukulelebootcamp.weebly.com

Quote Originally Posted by ProfChris View Post
    Ab7 at 1323 is easier than you think. This is how I got it.

First, you already know G7 (0323). So take a song you know which has plenty of G7s in, but finger them with fingers 2, 3, and 4 (i.e. don't use your index finger).

Once you can play G7 comfortably like this, slide the shape up one fret and then simply place your index finger on the G string 1st fret. Result, a perfect Ab7!

Alternatively, do you already have Cdim down pat (2323)? In which case, take that chord and slide your index finger down one fret. I find I need to move my wrist forward slightly. Practice for a bit, and there you have it.
    All excellent replies. Thanks so much. I think I am going to go with this method. I have tried it a few times already and it is already feeling more natural.

This is the only chord which I use my thumb on. I suppose the purists will say I am wrong, but it works for me with my thumb on fret 1 on the g string and the rest as a g7 chord as normal.

Quote Originally Posted by phil hague View Post
    This is the only chord which I use my thumb on. I suppose the purists will say I am wrong, but it works for me with my thumb on fret 1 on the g string and the rest as a g7 chord as normal.
    Yep. Me too.
    KoAlana KCA- 0010 mahogany concert <VBG> Ohana PCK-25G pineapple mahogany concert Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top, willow back/sides KoAloha soprano (2001 vintage) Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany gloss finish soprano Fluke natural concert <BG> Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> Islander MAT-4 spalted maple tenor Makala MK-CE concert

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

I can't use my thumb on any chords - it doesn't reach.

I usually either play 6-4-6-5 for the Ab7 (since I play 5-3-5-4 for a G7), or 3-2-3-x, and just ignore the G string.

It all depends on if you are doing a strum, plucking out a melody, lingering on the chord, or a fast change... and how it sounds to you.
    Ken Timms Soprano
    Moku MS-90S * Waterman G-I-T-D * National Triolian Reso * Bugsgear Aqualele * Donaldson Concert *
    Rosewood Vita Uke * Waverly Street #38 * Ko'Aloha Sceptre Tenor * Ohana Vita Uke * FireFly banjo uke
    Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele * Republic Concert * Fluke Tenor M22 * Kala KA-KTG-CT Cedar Top
    Cordoba 20TM * 1950's Harmony soprano *1920's era Stella banjo uke
    guitars and a 5-string banjo

Am I done?

...naw...

My YouTube Channel

Thread Information