G String (Wound) is digging into the saddle

cletus

Reaction score
I changed strings on my Kala arch top tenor a couple of days ago. The original Worth browns were replaced by Aquilas with a wound low G string. I have been strumming it hard using a pick. Last night I noticed that the G string is digging into the saddle badly.

Anybody have any experience with this situation?

Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

How badly is badly? Is it photographable?

Vintage ukes with ebony saddles often have grooves in the saddle, and it seems fine there as long as it doesn't slaughter intonation. A bone saddle is a good idea.

An unwound string would be another idea ;)

. strum softer, OR, don't worry about it. saddles are easily replaced if it gets too bad.

Had the same issue with my Asturias and Larrivee. Take a look at "String Tie Bridge Beads" for ukulele......expensive, but they work. I might have misunderstood your problem, but these are for strings that are cutting into the bridge and not the saddle.

Last edited:
It seems to me that the saddle might be made of a too soft material. I like the idea of switching to a bone saddle. It can't hurt. That failing, I'd try an unwound string, too.

My wife has much better eyesight than mine. It is not nearly as bad as I thought, the saddle just gets discolored from the wound G string and makes it look weird. Wipes off easily!

Thanks for the suggestions folks!

Top Bottom