Bearclaw Engelmann/Unique birdseye Tenor in Progress

Jason Wolverton

Reaction score
I have a really interesting set of Bosnian maple that I can't stop looking at. The pictures really don't do it justice. I've never seen figure quite like this; a beautiful combination of birdseye and curl. I'm pairing it with Engelmann spruce that has some nice bearclaw. It's an excellent stiff and light soundboard that should sound great. I'm excited to see what happens!

smallIMG_8115.jpg
IMG_8117.jpg
smallIMG_8118.jpg

Not sure I've ever heard of Bosnian maple but I'll bet that figure is gonna pop when you finish it out. Gonna look great. Keep us posted.

Maple lover here, can't wait to see it. I started my love affair with fancy maple when I was younger and interested in guns and custom gunstocks.

I'm a huge maple fan too. I love spruce/maple guitars, so I'm anxious to do several ukes with this combo.

I ended up using a Swiss spruce top instead of the Engelmann top in the original photos. I found some really nice bearclaw tops, so I couldn't wait to try one out.
smallSwanHead.jpg
smallSwanAngleTop.jpg
smallSwanFullTop.jpg
smallSwanAngleBack.jpg
SwanRose.jpg

Stunning instrument and great arrangement and playing! Bravo!

Great looking instrument and of course it sounds good too.......but then there are lots of other great instruments on your site.

Can you say why you have adopted the soundboard bracing pattern used on this instrument rather than simply using 3 fans?

Thanks, all for the compliments!
Greenscoe, I wanted to make a modified lattice of sorts to add some stiffness across the grain. I know the 3 fan bracing is tried and true, but I like trying new things just to satisfy my own curiosity. I also like lattice style bracing because it seems to resist soundboard distortion for a much longer period than fan bracing. At least this is what I've noticed in my guitars.

Top Bottom