Season 268 - Won't You Ask a Question?

Greetings,

Well I have gone nuts to even attempt this, but I had to try. "What's Love Got to Do With It"?

Here you go!

Ciao

I've been wanting to try this song for a long time now because of that duet part in it. This is about the 3rd or 4th time I've worked on it for a season.

Right then-today we have what I believe is the second Mento song to be played on the Seasons. Mento is a music of Jamaica that started being a recognized style in the 20's, thus predating Ska and Reggae by some 40 years. It is a unique fusion of European, Caribbean, and African styles traditionally played on a banjo, acoustic guitar, rhumba box and home made bamboo woodwind instruments. To me it sounds a lot like a "country" Calypso, and to many is remotely familiar as the great- grandfather of Reggae.
This tune is called What is Catty? (Big Boy and Teacher) and was recorded by Ivan Chin in the fifties, which is the beginning of the styles recorded history...likely the tune is older. If not, our lyricist here, Alerth Bedasse, is as terrible at subtle double entendre as every Jamaican after him...this song is quite crass while still being charming.
I have it in mind-blowing mono spinning at 78 RPM...a treasure in my collection. The tune later became a popular "toasting" recording by U-Roy (a precursor to Hip Hop...for another day)- anyway...the song.

268-Tuesday

Found this today. Liked it. My son watches these guys on YouTube. I didn't know they had a music channel.

Here's yet another Monkees cover from me (I think that makes 14 or something). This is "What Am I Doin' Hangin' Round?" with some awesome Super8 footage from what I think is the late 60's or early 70's.

Last edited:
Not just one question from The Waterboys, but a whole heap of them.

Wha' is ma shepherd (23rd Psalm in broad Scots)

The Lord's my shepherd in Scottish to the tune Crimond.

Wha' is my shepherd weel I ken
The Lord himsel' is he:
He leads me whaur the girse is green
An' burnies quiet that be.
Aft times I fain astray wad gang
An wann'r far awa':
He fin's me oot, he pits me richt
An' brings me hame an' a'.
Tho I pass through the gruesome cleuch
Fin' I ken He is near:
His muckle crook will me defen'
Sae I ha'e nocht to fear.
His guidness an' his mercy baith
Nae doot will bide wi' He -
While fallded on the fields o' time
Or o' eternity.

Sorry about this one, I had time & quiet to do a recording today, but seemed to have a frog in my throat.......:biglaugh:

Edit: I don't know why I sang Spain instead of pain.......... :confused:

Last edited:
I wrote a new on especially for this week and I plan to get an old one up sometime later, if I get the chance.

Meanwhile here is:

This is a little ditty for the kids in the audience.

This is my second entry ....Will you miss me when I'm gone ( The Carter Family) ...played in Open D on my Lucille

We had a surprise off day from school today, because of potential tornado weather. 😱 My daughter agreed to record a song with me, but only audio. She didn't want to do a video, today. This song was the jam in our house a few years ago. These days, it's all about Muana and Sing.

A fine trio of miscreants Randy x3.

On our trip around Australia (me, brother Ivan and a good friend of mine) we met some British tourists in a hired 4x4 in WA. The matriarch called us a trio of miscreants (in good humour).
Now WA is a huge state with some wonderful things to see - but those wonderful things are many hundreds of kms apart so you often see the same people despite the distance.
We bumped into them about 500km and a few days later - I said to the lady - "Hey! Miscreants is not a very nice word!" - we laughed.

Top Bottom