Season 268 - Won't You Ask a Question?

You Tube said that since it found copyrighted content there may be ads on my video. Apologizing for that in advance.......

Season 268. Submission 3. "How Can A Word" (An Original - Music by Pabrizzer (Song Called "MelanCollie"), Lyrics by

Turtledrum) (Copyright Linda Opyr and Brian Pabrizzer, 2017)

Ukulele, video production - pabrizzer

Vocal, audio mixing - turtledrum

Special thanks to Brian for allowing me to work with his magnificent music.

Last edited:
Burn Rubber (Why You Wanna Hurt Me?), 'cause playing The Gap Band on ukulele is fun.

Where did you sleep last night?

Here is my contribution:

It is also known as "In the Pines", but hey, one of the titles it goes by as a question...
I tried to use the chords that Huddie Ledbetter and Nirvana used in their versions, but it doesn't sound quite the same...

Had a little free time at the soccer fields so I thought I'd get another entry in. Van Halen on a uke in a car is tough��

This traditional song is in question and answer format. I think it may be a parody of The Keys of Canterbury where a man offers a woman successively more valuable gifts if she'll accept him but she only accepts when he offers the key to his heart. This song takes a different view.

And Here's some Lennon and McCartney. Rough and very much under rehearsed but time is running short. I've had a busy week and I was grabbing a little time to get some recording done as I'm out tomorrow and Sunday.

I have tried many many times to learn this song. Finally stumbled across an arrangement that looked doable, then found a key that would make it slightly easier. Still a struggle but I'm pleased with how it's coming along.

Anymore playthroughs and my wife might have made this a short-lived return to the seasons though :rofl:

Are you on Oahu? Care to do a collab?

Pueo! I wish I would have seen this earlier. Brian pointed it out to me. Rats! I would have loved to a collab, though we were not on Oahu. We were visiting my mom in Kona. Next time!

Grover is my best non-human pal. He also required several additional takes, and by then, my voice was pretty much shot. But he's a good boy!

SOTU 268: Won't You Ask a Question; How Can We Help? - an Original Song by ddanner

I love it when a Season's theme generates the seed of an idea for composing a new original song. - Thanks Brian. It's a great theme!

All too often this year we have found ourselves asking close friends and relatives the question: "How Can We Help?" We know that more often than not, all we can do is be there to listen; or grieve together, or just take their hand or offer a hug. I hope this song expresses these sentiments in the proper musical mood and tone.

Lyrics and Chords in Chordpro Format:
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
{title: HOW CAN WE HELP?}
{st: Written 04.02.2017, (c) Dennis Danner}
{subtitle:Last Edited: 04.04.2017, dad}
{time:3:08}

Intro:
| [D] //// | [Bm] //// | [Em] //// | [A] //// |

[D]Oh; . . dear [Bm]friend, we see the [Em]pain in your [A]eyes . .
We [D]cannot i[Bm]magine the [G]hurt you feel in - [A]side . .
We [D]want you to [Bm]know, that we'll [G]always be [A]here, and
We [D]want you to [Bm]know, . . just how [G] much . . we [D] care . .

Break:
| [D] //// | [Bm] //// | [G] //// | [A] //// |
| [D] //// | [Bm] //// | [G] //// | [D] //// |

Chorus :
{soc}
So, [D]how can we [Bm]help, and [G]what can we [A] do . .
to [D]ease your [Bm]pain, and [A]help you get [D]through?
We are [D]here . . to [Bm]listen, to [G]hold, or just [A]be . .
And, [D]try to give you [Bm]comfort, . . and [A]try to help you [D] see . .
{eoc}

[D]Sadness and [Bm]grief can come in [Em] so many [A] forms, where there's
[D]no one to [Bm] blame, . . to [G] hate, or to [A] scorn . .
Some[D]times . . we [Bm] never . . [G] fully under[A]stand . .
We just [D] learn . . to [Bm] cope, and [G] take each other's [D] hand . .

Instrumental Solo:
| [D] //// | [Bm] //// | [Em] //// | [A] //// |

Chorus :
{soc}
So, [D]how can we [Bm]help, and [G]what can we [A] do . .
to [D]ease your [Bm]pain, and to [A]help you get [D]through?
We are [D]here . . to [Bm]listen, to [G]hold, or just [A]be . .
And, [D]try to give you [Bm]comfort, . . and [A]try to help you [D] see . .
{eoc}

Outro :
So, [D]how can we [Bm] help, and [G]what can we [A] do . .
to [D]ease your [Bm]pain, and to [A] help you get [D]through? . .
| [D] / / / / | [Bm] / / / / | [G] / / / / | [A] / / / / |
(Slow) to [D]ease your [Bm]pain, and to [A]help you get [D]through? . . . [D] ~

+end+

Pueo! I wish I would have seen this earlier. Brian pointed it out to me. Rats! I would have loved to a collab, though we were not on Oahu. We were visiting my mom in Kona. Next time!

Ok! Even funnier, I was in Hilo on Tuesday...

Took my ukulele and my camera to work today, as I knew I would have some time this afternoon.
Wrong!
I still have two days though!
Really been enjoying this season.
Amazing how diverse the songs are.

Terrific theme, pa! So many great questions to ask and sing!! Here's a Pixies song whose title is a question I ask myself daily. (And that wild background sound is wind.)

Top Bottom