FS: Vintage Martin Tenor 12-fret - great player's uke! $525

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearbike137

Reaction score
FS: Vintage Martin Tenor 12-fret - great player's uke!

SOLD!

Hi all. Well, I love vintage Martin tenors so much that I bought another! My "new" vintage uke has a pickup in it, so I am selling this one. This is the one I nearly sold last summer, but had seller's remorse and pulled it back. Both ukes sound equally good - if anything, this one sounds a bit fuller.

As you can see, it is not a collector’s uke – this one is for the players. That said, it is a phenomenal sounding vintage uke. It sets up well and it is loud. Moreover, it plays up the neck better than any uke I have owned.

Photos: View attachment 93069View attachment 93059View attachment 93060View attachment 93065View attachment 93062

When I first bought the uke, I had one brace re-glued by by Third Coast Repair in Chicago (an authorized Martin repair shop) and they gave the uke a clean bill of health – no cracks and structurally sound (just plenty of play wear). The frets still look great. Lots of finish checking and crazing.

There is no “Made in USA” stamp on inside brace, so that means it was made somewhere between 1934 and 1961. Your guess is as good as mine! Comes with a chipboard case. I will pack it well!

Let’s talk about the wear on the top of this uke. I bought this uke the minute I saw it on eBay BECAUSE OF the wear. I figured it was played so much because it sounded great; or it sounded great because it was played so much – either way, I was right - it sounds great. I have attached a video clip. Now, bear in mind this was though my iPad mic, but at least you get an idea of the tone.

If you are looking for a great sounding vintage Martin Tenor for a reasonable price – this is it. Please contact me with any questions. Thank you!

Last edited:
Great playing mate! I need to practice...

Hey thanks (although you are way too kind!). It is a mix of strings.

If I recall: G - Worth Clear, C - Southcoast Medium, E - Martin 620, A - Martin 620. (I keep a note in the case - I will double-check when I get home tonight).

I usually try a lot of strings until I find the combination that is the best mix of tone, intonation, and feel. I think the Martin Flourocarbon strings are way underrated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom