Anybody using pre-cat lacquer?

Ukemakinmecrazy

Reaction score
I found some in a rattle can and I am tempted t try it. This three week plus drying time for regular lacquer is a beat down. Any potential issues using it for stringed instruments?

The lacquer I use is a pre-catalyzed one. Australian made product and I spray out of a gun.

You still have the drying time assosiated with any finish that primarily dries by solvent evaporation. Perhaps not 3 weeks, but certainly for mine at a bare minimum it's one week but better if it's two.

What is the benefit of a catalyzed product then? I am not very educated on finishes and how they work.

The lacquer I use is a pre-catalyzed one. Australian made product and I spray out of a gun.

You still have the drying time assosiated with any finish that primarily dries by solvent evaporation. Perhaps not 3 weeks, but certainly for mine at a bare minimum it's one week but better if it's two.

What is the benefit of a catalyzed product then? I am not very educated on finishes and how they work.
A catalyzed lacquer makes for a more durable finish than a standard lacquer. The chemical reaction from the catalyst creates a crosslinking of the material. Think woven. In my humble opinion it is more resistant to scuffs and stains. Working time between coats is somewhere around 30 minutes. Yes full cure is 10 to 15 days.
I use it in my cabinets and can stack doors within an hour of being finished with no tack. I spray my ukes and it gives a quick finish.

Thanks for the info.
A catalyzed lacquer makes for a more durable finish than a standard lacquer. The chemical reaction from the catalyst creates a crosslinking of the material. Think woven. In my humble opinion it is more resistant to scuffs and stains. Working time between coats is somewhere around 30 minutes. Yes full cure is 10 to 15 days.
I use it in my cabinets and can stack doors within an hour of being finished with no tack. I spray my ukes and it gives a quick finish.

Top Bottom