Talsma Baritone with K&K Pickup

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosepose

Reaction score
FS: Stunning one-of-a-kind Talsma baritone ukulele. 21” scale; figured mahogany top, sides and back; maple rosette and top and bottom bindings, uniquely placed Gotoh Planetary tuners, ebony fretboard. I purchased this through the UU Marketplace in December 2015. It was a custom order in 2014 (called “Bob’s Baritone”) that you can check out on Dave Talsma’s website. My pictures do not do this justice, especially since the beautiful glossy finish is so reflective, but it is striking.

And then the sound--the sound is outstanding. The previous owner aptly described the sound as “sweet and mellow with good intonation and great sustain.” I have Worth Browns on it (DGBE), by the way.

I had a K&K Aloha Twinspot pickup installed by a professional luthier, and the pickup works great while still being unobstrusive. (I had intended to use it when my husband and I play out, but never actually needed it.)

It has been very lightly played and is in excellent condition. There is a very tiny “chip” in the top side of the ebony fretboard. Because it’s so small, it’s not noticeable unless you look for it and of course does not affect the playing area. (See photo.) I don’t even know when it happened—I must have bumped it into something. Other than that, it is in immaculate condition—kept in its hard case (included) in a smoke-free, temperature-controlled house all its life. (I live in Florida and the prior owner did also, so there is no problem with lack of humidity.)

Although I’m not a frequent “poster” on the UU, I have sold and purchased a number of instruments on the UU Marketplace in the past and I’m sure anyone who bought an instrument from me would vouch for the condition of the ukes. Most recently, I sold a Martin tenor guitar; also in the past I sold some other great baritones—a Loprinzi, a Boat Paddle, and a Kanile’a.

I will probably suffer seller’s remorse over this (won't be the first time), but I’ve decided to sell this wonderful instrument. My husband and I are planning to spend more time on the road visiting the kids and grandkids, and it doesn’t make sense to keep this beauty in a closet six months of the year. I am willing to let it go for $1,000 (PayPal please) and will kick in $50 toward shipping.

Attachments

• DSC03917.jpg
    DSC03917.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 182
  • DSC03942.jpg
    DSC03942.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC03921.jpg
    DSC03921.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 153
  • DSC03927.JPG
    DSC03927.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 142
  • DSC03937.JPG
    DSC03937.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 134
Your Talsma baritone looks great. Would you happen have a sound sample?

More pictures

Here are a few more photos of my Talsma baritone.

Attachments

• DSC03931.jpg
    DSC03931.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC03922.jpg
    DSC03922.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC03923.jpg
    DSC03923.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC03929.jpg
    DSC03929.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 55
This thread hasn't seen much action, so I thought I'd give it a boost.

A couple of months ago, I visited Rose to demo a Martin tenor guitar she had for sale. While I was there, I also had the opportunity to play this Talsma bari for a few minutes. It's a wonderful instrument--visually arresting, and as Rosepose says, mellow and sweet with good intonation and sustain to spare. I had to force myself to stop playing it to focus more on the Martin tenor guitar.

Had it been for sale when I bought her tenor guitar (a fantastic instrument in its own right), I might very well have ended up going home with the Talsma instead!

Thanks David. I appreciate the nice comments about the Talsma.

It was a pleasure to meet you and to hear the Martin and the Talsma played by someone with your talent. Hope you're enjoying that beautiful tenor guitar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom