Radio Shacks disappearing

Doug W

Reaction score
Just needed a couple of toggle switches from RadioShack but both stores in my part of town have closed. I used to depend on RadioShack when we needed an XLR cord or a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter of any sort but I guess no more. I know they have been going downhill for a long time and the chain never really adapted to the brave new world but specialty shops that carry odd little electronic things are getting harder to find.

I worked at RadioShack for 7 years and loved my job - I am a gadget geek. The chain promoted from within, so many that started on the sales floor ended up in management. RadioShack offered health care for part-time employees back when that was a rarity. It was in large part through RadioShack's tuition reimbursement program that I was able to attain a graduate degree and go on to teach full time. The company has an interesting history that parallels much of the 20th century.

The Amazon cannibalization continues... :(

The Amazon cannibalization continues... :(

One of the reasons why I have not bought anything from Amazon since 2001. I get my eBooks from Kobo or an independent outlet, paper books from independent bookstores (takes longer and costs more, but not to an unacceptable degree), other things from specialized or at least non-Amazon stores.

One of the reasons why I have not bought anything from Amazon since 2001. I get my eBooks from Kobo or an independent outlet, paper books from independent bookstores (takes longer and costs more, but not to an unacceptable degree), other things from specialized or at least non-Amazon stores.

Why don't you like Amazon? I use them all the time. Everything has come to me in tip top shape. Big stuff too. :eek:ld:

At first it was a negative experience with a payment issue, and then it was because I began to realize how instrumental Amazon has been in killing off independent bookstores with their relentless price undercutting that no small store can compete with. It kills a lot of jobs.

At first it was a negative experience with a payment issue, and then it was because I began to realize how instrumental Amazon has been in killing off independent bookstores with their relentless price undercutting that no small store can compete with. It kills a lot of jobs.

Yeah, i guess your post is pretty correct, but "the times they are a changin'". I'd rather shop at stores too, but nowadays they don't have much to choose from. There aren't very many good ones around here either.

I use Amazon and Elderly for most music stuff. For other things i shop shopping centers. That's just what I do . . . :eek:ld:

I haven't been into a RadioShack in ages, since the store here basically refused to sell me anything unless I gave them my name, phone number, address, etc.

Uh, a brick-and-mortar store does not need that information.

When was the last time you saw an actual resistor and who remembers how to read the color bands? All chips.

TV antenna with rotor and booster? Dish, cable or stream.

Big ass speakers and component stereo? Got your phone and ear buds

A lot of their bread and butter market is gone

and I'm just a Buffalo singing the Dinosaur Blues!

I haven't been into a RadioShack in ages, since the store here basically refused to sell me anything unless I gave them my name, phone number, address, etc.

Uh, a brick-and-mortar store does not need that information.

That is an irritating trend at a number of places.

Top Bottom