11 Obscenely Optimistic Songs for Ukulele

3j0hn

Reaction score
Midwestern indie singer-songwriter Jeremy Messersmith recently "released" a new album of original happy folk songs as a ukulele songbook. He'll give you a download link if you sign up for his mailing list at his website https://www.jeremymessersmith.com/

It's a fun idea. He's having fans send in their renditions and collecting them on YouTube. His "official" recording of the album will be released later this month.

Here's the first fan video of the first song in the songbook:

Last edited:
I normally don't like cute-for-the-sake-of-cute but...that is a cute song. Now I have a new song to learn.

Thanks

Excellent Choirguy! The screen name, Choirguy, has been well-affirmed.

Wow that was definitely obscene.

He released the album today...$6.99. I'm not going to say that it is the greatest album ever...but instantly bought it for two reasons. First, I have recorded 5 of the songs so far (was on vacation in Florida, so I didn't record any of the songs while on the road) and I wanted to hear them all. Second, he made the music available as a free download--and I had to support that effort.

Here is his link to the album's availability on a number of services:

http://smarturl.it/obscenelyoptimistic

Wish this site had a "like" and "love" buttons like FB...
Nice job, fellas!
I esp like the lullabye sound of "We Can Make Our Dreams Come True". It would be purty in four part harmony.

Last edited:
Hi, I saw his videos and can't wait to learn them. Even though I signed up for his mailing list I couldn't find the link to his songbook. Can you help me with that?

Send me a direct message with your e-mail address, and I’ll send it to you. I’m not sure if he is still distributing the songs via the list—but they were distributed for free. It’s still probably my favorite project I have ever seen, even though I didn’t get to attend one of the micro concerts. He even led one of the local ukulele group jams with the song list this summer.

Has anyone noticed that there are only 10 songs on the list?

The missing song was intentional. He was being optimistic in calling it 11 songs. But he did perform a 11th song on tour, “I’d like to punch a Nazi in the face.” This was before the Nazi situation in Virginia this summer, making the song slightly prophetic.

The missing song was intentional. He was being optimistic in calling it 11 songs. But he did perform a 11th song on tour, “I’d like to punch a Nazi in the face.” This was before the Nazi situation in Virginia this summer, making the song slightly prophetic.

Well, thank you! That answered the question we all had at the Tech Valley Ukulele Meet-Up on Sunday, when we did the songbook.

-Kurt​

Top Bottom