Is there a luthier willing to private message me?

weeshan

Reaction score
I picked up an old Rolando banjo uke from the 20's for $35. There are splits in the pot (alternating bands of different colored wood glued together)....looking at other pics online, this seems common with this one. Its been looked at by a guitar shop (the sellers took it in) and the luthiers said it could be repaired but it would cost more than the instrument is worth. I just literally want to throw on some new vellum, strings and tuners and get it to make some noise again...which is also what one of the luthiers said he would do too, if it were his. Im not looking to professionally refurbish it and I tend to be a DIY'er so Im hoping for a few options on what I can do with the cracks. I figured for $35, it was worth taking a chance on. The original owners name is scratched into the wood "GRACE NEELY '20". Pretty cool I thought.

banjo.jpgbanjo2.jpgbanjo3.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Shannon

I picked up an old Rolando banjo uke from the 20's for $35. There are splits in the pot (alternating bands of different colored wood glued together)....looking at other pics online, this seems common with this one. Its been looked at by a guitar shop (the sellers took it in) and the luthiers said it could be repaired but it would cost more than the instrument is worth. I just literally want to throw on some new vellum, strings and tuners and get it to make some noise again...which is also what one of the luthiers said he would do too, if it were his. Im not looking to professionally refurbish it and I tend to be a DIY'er so Im hoping for a few options on what I can do with the cracks. I figured for $35, it was worth taking a chance on. The original owners name is scratched into the wood "GRACE NEELY '20". Pretty cool I thought.

View attachment 99130View attachment 99131View attachment 99132

Thanks in advance,

Shannon

Hi,
I repaired one of these a while ago. I glued pieces of wood in the larger cracks and veneer in the thinner ones. You then need a way to clamp the rim tight while the glue dries, not easy on a round body. The easiest way is with a hose clamp, with some protective padding so as not to damage the rim. Hope this helps.

I'm thinking that a ratchet band clamp will allow you to glues those segments together. This is about as cheap as you will get one. The plastic corner adapters are for use to use it on a drawer, but of course wouldn't be used for a round object. If tightening the band clamp does not close the spaces, you can then use DIP's idea. At any rate, cleaning the spaces very well is advised. I have several dental picks and scrapers that would work well and are available cheaply at most Flea Markets. Velums designed for Middle Eastern instruments are available cheaply on ebay as are bridges and tailpieces.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-inch-x-15-ft-ratcheting-band-clamp-66220.html

Top Bottom