Review- Caramel CC102A Concert Ukulele

Vic,

Great review...I think that E string is just settling. What I would love is to see Living Waters on that Caramel. We are using the Aquila KIDS strings on our 50 Caramels (40 Concerts and 10 Tenors), which sound just like the Nylgut...although we have had 4 G and A strings break (8 total) this year because of misuse...and none of the white Aquilas broke last year. Anyway...I can't put fluorocarbons on the school ukuleles and would love to hear a Caramel with them (I have M600s on my personal Sopranino, but I think of the Sopranino as more of a novelty item).

The fastest I ever received a Caramel was 15 days, the longest about 40. With the longest, Caramel actually sent out a replacement order and I simply sent payment for 6 more ukuleles when the original set arrived the next day.

Most of the time, instruments arrive in 20-24 days.

The bridge is new...and I am wondering how you replace a string without a ball end (like guitar). I do love the look.

I would caution those in drier climates to not adjust saddle height on their Caramels until the instruments have seasoned to your environment. I adjusted ours upon arrival to 2.65mm at the 12th fret, and a few have started buzzing as the neck and fingerboard dried out and the strings are now below desired height. I will say that Caramel has been wonderful in helping me get some replacement saddles for those instruments (about 6 of them). Also...after drying out, there will be exposed fret ends...I no longer worry about it and just attack the fret ends with a sanding block with 220 grain sand paper. The worst area after drying is always where the neck hits the body and higher to the end of the fingerboard.

These are laminate instruments, but the neck and fretboard are like any other ukulele, and if you have them in an unhumidified environment, they will dry out.

But for a first instrument or for a school, it is hard to recommend anything else than a $37 Caramel, particularly if the beginner is uncertain about continuing on. You can also buy an inexpensive gig bag, and they did have some soft cases as well.

I'm looking forward to your next video!

One of my students bought a Caramel soprano for about that price, may have been the same one. Sounded amazing for a $37 uke. Didn't really need any setup work.....a nice balance between volume, brightness, and mellowness. I am buying some Caramels for the new uke jam group I stated to loan to newly interested people who show up without a uke. I don't want them to have to try out a piece if crap. May buy a few of the ever-so-slightly pricier models just for the looks.

I was getting excited about this. Zebra wood is, IMO, so attractive, although with a laminate you never know what's underneath, but for $37 .....

then I watched the comparison you did with the Koaloha .... I'll just keep saving.

I was getting excited about this. Zebra wood is, IMO, so attractive, although with a laminate you never know what's underneath, but for $37 .....

then I watched the comparison you did with the Koaloha .... I'll just keep saving.

Two thoughts...

1) I would like to hear a Caramel concert with Martin 600s. I think the sound would be different.
2) It is a $37 ukulele, shipped. Shipping for some ukuleles costs that much. Here's the point...you can buy that Caramel and play it until you can afford the KoAloha. And then you can take that Caramel into every harsh environment that you won't bring the KoAloha into.

A more fair comparison would be the Caramel versus the $100-$250 laminates. Perhaps even the KoAlana laminate Concert Ukulele (made by/for KoAloha).

But what I love about this comparison is that it becomes clear why people spend $1000 or more on a ukulele.

Apparently you heard what I did when doing the video. When I reviewed the video it was very apparent that my ears were not deceiving me.

Someone on YouTube described the Caramel as "not bad." I agree, it isn't bad. It would be a good starter uke.

The point of the video is to show there is a noticeable difference between the two Ukes. I find most times in life I get what I pay for. This video is a good example, IMHO.

Top Bottom