Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ukes after you are gone?

Geez, all these decisions! Now I gotta decide which one goes in the box with me!
    Ask NOT what your country can do for Uke...ask what Uke can do for your country.

I would suggest that if one is turning around their ukuleles on a regular basis they might keep that in mind before they start getting specific in their will. It seems that oft times one's most treasured ukulele falls from from hallowed favor as soon as the next prized purchase comes along. Wouldn't want to leave your beloved custom ukulele to the grand kids in an emotional moment, just for it to be long gone to someone else when it comes time for the executor to execute the will.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.
    Check out the G&B Detective Series by yours truly.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/1978485476...ords=r.l.+link

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyHoudini View Post
    I want to be obsessed by UDS! Ukulele Declutter Syndrome. hehe
    Petey
    A lot of interesting thoughts in the thread. Petey has inspired me to get back to decluttering in general, (not just uke decluttering). Maybe my wife and I will get to our will this year...
    I am the best ukulele player on my block!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug W View Post
    A lot of interesting thoughts in the thread. Petey has inspired me to get back to decluttering in general, (not just uke decluttering). Maybe my wife and I will get to our will this year...
    If there is a will there is a way. Groan or giggle.

One of my local non-profit folk music organizations, Old Songs, Inc., puts on a wonderful 3-day festival every year, and they have an "Instrument Exchange" where people put instruments on consignment, with the festival getting 10% of the sale price. There are a lot of knowledgeable people who perform at this festival, on all instruments, and many local musicians attend as well, as performers, workshop participants, and sometimes just attendees.

If we are still in this area when I kick the bucket (Bite the big one? Take a dirt nap? Insert euphemism for dying _here_...), and the festival is till going on, I'd like my executor to donate any instruments my wife doesn't want to the festival, and they can get whatever they want out of them. I'd love to see someone in the family keep the Donaldson, but we have no kids, and don't think anyone else is playing any musical instruments.

-Kurt
    Ken Timms Soprano
    Moku MS-90S * Waterman G-I-T-D * National Triolian Reso * Bugsgear Aqualele * Donaldson Concert *
    Rosewood Vita Uke * Waverly Street #38 * Ko'Aloha Sceptre Tenor * Ohana Vita Uke * FireFly banjo uke
    Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele * Republic Concert * Fluke Tenor M22 * Kala KA-KTG-CT Cedar Top
    Cordoba 20TM * 1950's Harmony soprano *1920's era Stella banjo uke
    guitars and a 5-string banjo

Am I done?

...naw...

My YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by photoshooter View Post
    If I go first I hope my wife sells my ukes for what they're worth and not what I told her I paid for them
    If nothing else, this thread has inspired a quote fit for a T-shirt.
    photoshooter, you should come to Ukulele World Congress this year with a box of T-shirts for sale to pay for your trip.
    Last edited by Doug W; 04-11-2017 at 05:49 PM.
    I am the best ukulele player on my block!

[QUOTE=jollyboy;1957162]Cheerful stuff

I want to say "From my cold dead hands!" but then I guess that's kind of the point

Maybe I could get a casket made out of my ukes

That'd be me. LOL Not really. I have one uke, one acoustic guitar, several pennywhistles, one recorder, and a banjo that happens to be in 3 pieces at the moment. There's one person in my life who would happily receive the whistles. No one else is musical or wants to be. So when I go (not any time soon I hope), they will probably languish with the violin my mother doesn't want me parting with, even though no one plays it. Sorry, that violin is a sore subject, as are all instruments that don't get the playtime they're made for! So... Maybe what I will do, is instruct people to sell the instruments, with prices, and donate the money to my favorite uke group! Yes, that'll do nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug W View Post
    If nothing else, this thread has inspired a quote fit for a T-shirt.
    photoshooter, you should come to Ukulele World Congress this year with a box of T-shirts for sale to pay for your trip.

Oh man, a trip to UWC would be fantastic!
    For the record, it's not my quote but I've seen it on every conceivable hobby forum. I think it's funny because there's some (a lot) of truth in it!

This thread has me thinking though...
    If I intend to leave my ukes behind to specific people I love I'm going to need a lot more ukes!

"Why are you buying more ukes?"
    "Because honey, one day I'm going to die and I don't want to leave anyone with hurt feelings"

That should work...

"Why are you buying more ukes?"
    "Because honey, one day I'm going to die and I don't want to leave anyone with hurt feelings"

That should work..

Ha ha that's funny!
    My ukes, like all my junk, are Willed to my wife when I kick the bucket. Only one, my Cocobolo goes to a close friend who plays, because she loves it, and my wife has one. I don't care what she does with the others, one is unplayable, and though I treasure the other one, she couldn't care less about it, so I hope she sells it for a decent price, or gives it to a deserving kid. I'm learning a Taoist/Buddhist attitude of not being attached to stuff. Pets and people are gonna be a little harder. I want nothing holding me back when I wanna leave!
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Thread Information