Season 269 - Cowboy Songs

I'm not going to make it this week.
I was looking into some Ennio Morricone, but didn't manage to learn it in time. I go on a trip in the morning, so recording in the crossover day is not a possibility.

I have enjoyed listening to a lot of cowboy songs this week though :)

SOTU 269 - Cowboy Songs - "OH, BURY ME NOT" by d and e danner

Can't believe this one does not yet appear to be on the playlist! Of course, it has been covered so many times by so many artists that maybe we should have stayed away from it, too! :eek::eek:

Lots of different verses to choose from, and certainly different melodies, and styles as well. Putting all these different pieces together was very similar to writing an original, and as always, I learned a lot once again thanks to a Season's theme.

Evelyn and I hope you enjoy our take on, "Oh, Bury Me Not."

Tail Piece

Last one from me - which, appropriately enough, is also the last entry in John Lomax's 1911 collection of Cowboy Songs And Other Frontier Ballads. I couldn't find any tune or chords to go with it, so I made some up - but I do debut my Stetson!

Hopefully, at just 80 seconds, it'll redress the balance left from the 7-minute saga of Outlaw Pete!

Thanks for a great Season, RM. There's been some brilliant tunes brought to the trail this week. Don't envy you your judging duties!!

"Micha" by Die Ärzte

English subtitles can be toggled in the lower right corner of the video.

I have been doing this one for a while, and I think I did it a while back for another Season. But, given the offer of collaboration by the fantastic Hannah Smalltree, I couldn't resist. And it's a cowboy song.

"So I drank a little whiskey
And I dreamed that I was a cowboy"

Lyle Lovett wrote this wonderful song. I think this version turned out pretty dang well.

Season 269. Submission 2. "Talkin' Cowboy" (An Original) (Words and music Copyright Linda Opyr, 2017)

Randy, I wish I could have submitted more for your fantastic Season. (But then again, the bathroom didn't get painted either. ;) )

I did write this one for this special Season, Randy. i hope you like it.

Once again I had good intentions to record a song for Cowboy Week. But there's been no time to record and now time has run out. So no entry from me. But I listened to some great cowboy songs this week. Thanks for the great theme Randy (even though I couldn't get an entry together).

Time wasn't on my side this week and I'm off to London in a few hours so gutted I couldn't finish this one grrrrrrrrrr ..............

Well, we've reached the end of the trail, and we're heading for the saloon for some well-deserved whooping and hollering. I am deeply thankful to all who participated in this week, this was a lot of fun for me. I'll have a Season Wrap-Up soon!

LucilleJustRocks • Rocky Raccoon • I actually like it when there are multiple versions of the same song in a Season. Especially a great song like this! Well don, I enjoyed this!

redpaul1 • Knocking On Heaven's Door • Nope, not like Dylan one bit! :) Good song, well done!

ddanner • Oh, Bury Me Not • Oh, I love it when you folks do a duet! So good! Great song choice, and it sounds terrific!

alanDP • Old Cowboy's Lament • This is just fine! Good lyrics, very well-constructed.

decaturcomp • Poncho & Lefty • Although Townes Van Zandt wrote this, I always think of Willie & Merle when I hear this. You know what? I might just start thinking of you when I hear this song, this is so good!

bonesigh • Cowboy Take Me Away • Oh I think it turned out fine, Good song, thanks for bringing it to the Season!

robinboyd • Kate Kelly • Good song. I'd glad that you included the wiki article - very interesting! Great addition to the Season!

redpaul1 • Tail Piece • That a very authentic-sounding tune you've come up with. Well done!

Demimondaine • Streets of Laredo • Thanks for doing this. An essential addition to the Cowboy song library!

PlastikUke • Micha • Well that was fun! I like this a lot - well done!

greenie44 • North Dakota • Wow, this is so good! Your voices sound great together, and the use sounds amazing! I like Lyle Lovett a lot, and this is a good song!

turtledrum • Talkin' Cowboy • Oh boy. Linda, this is something special. Kind of the "theme song" for this week!

thesillydave • (i got spurs that) jingle jangle jingle • Oh yeah! This was a lot of fun! "That's what the kids call it." You're hilarious!

pabrizzer • I wear the worst steer I've ever met on my head • So funny! This is a great Paoriginal!

mythinformed • El Paso • Really well done, and a fine song to end this Season, Thanks for doing this!

Yep..... a Good Hombre fer shur, just like Sheriff d-comp said! :)

You, dear Randy, are a buckeroo's buckeroo. A champ from the bottom of your Fryes to the top of your Stetson.

Thank you!!!!! :)

Okay, thanks to a gloomy, windy, chilly day, I finished the Wrap-Up! Thanks so much to everyone who participated. I had a blast! There are three prize winners, please PM your address to my if you're one of the lucky compadres.

Top Bottom