Season 269 - Cowboy Songs

An "old cowboy" checks in...

Old Cowboy Blues for SOTU #269

Spring break came very late this year, so you will have to forgive me if I am a little punchy while picking songs to play for ya . This is about an outlaw gang and a horse named Paul Revere

Der wilde, wilde Westen: A well-know western song in 1980 from Truck Stop, the famous german country band. Close translation (see also below the vid) 3 hints:
waterkant=water rim/edge (slang for living at haven or sea),
panic=mentioning the so-called rock "Panik Orchester" from the 70s,
Maschen=quarter of Hamburg, south of haven/Elbe river.

Played on Lulu sopranino and supported by out of sync bass and kind of harmonies/percussion. Really have to work on my synchronization skills (musically, not technically).

PHP:
[C] The little country band, so well-known in this land, hasn-t it 
[G] easy for so long, they [G7] already played in Hamburg, when 
[F] panic still wasn-t [C] on. A jazzer 
said at times: much too banal rhymes  and you-ll 
[G] find no cowboys here, we [G7] dont have wild, wild West! But for 
[F] every else [G] it-s [C] clear: [F] [C]

_CHORUS
_[C] The wild wild West just starts in Hamburg, south
_[G] the river, out downtown, in a [G7] studio in Maschen, close 
_[F] to the Autobahn-s [C] ground. Enjoying fiddle, banjo, steel guitar, the best
_[G] spirit you-ve found, with the [G7] cowboys from the Waterkant 
_[F] and their Nash-[G]-ville [C] sound.
[G] [G7] [F] [G] [C]

[C] Wether in Hamburg grown or in Bavaria born, that really 
[G] matters not at all, as long as you-re in a [G7] honky-tonk, and the 
[F] beer will never [C] pall. With some
cowboy boots and a wanderlust blues and a
[G] small crack in your hearts, your [G7] circuit pressures up, when the
[F] cowboy-s mu-[G]-sic [C] starts. [F] [C]

_CHORUS

Last edited:
Look Ma, no green screens! I'm in the desert for work and took some time out this afternoon when it was less breezy. Filmed in the late afternoon, and there is no sage brush in the Mojave (too hot and dry, we get mesquite shrubs instead). Hopefully acceptable all the same. Words by K. K. Pettey, attempt at music by me

Historic notes (bc they are cool and people seem to be into them):

From http://www.cowboypoetry.com/katherinefallpettey.htm#Morning

"In 1910, Katherine Fall Pettey (1874-1951) published Songs from the Sage Brush. That book includes a poem, "Morning on the Desert," which has long been printed and recited—as "Mornin' on the Desert"—with no credit to an author, sometimes said to be "found written on the door of an old cabin in the desert." It was the subject of popular postcards in the 1930s and 1940s (see some examples below).

We researched numerous sources looking for more information about her, and did not turn up a bit of biographical information for years. Her table of contents in Songs from the Sage Brush indicates that some poems are included "courtesy of" a few periodicals: Sunset, Out Door Life, and West Coast, and others (see some of these poems below). We've located one of those poems and others in other magazines, but none were accompanied by biographical information.

But, genealogical research has turned up some information about Katherine Fall Pettey. She was born in Tennessee in 1874 and died in California in 1951. Her father, William R. Fall, was a schoolteacher. He was the son of English minister Phillip Slater Fall. Her mother, Edmonia (Taylor) was a music teacher. The family lived in Kentucky.

Her brother, Albert Bacon Fall (1861-1944) was a U.S. Senator in New Mexico and served as Secretary of the Interior under President Warren Harding. According to a Wikipedia article here, he also "....defended the accused killer of former Sheriff Pat Garrett. Garrett, who had killed outlaw Billy the Kid in 1881...." Albert B. Fall was indicted in theTeapot Dome scandal, becoming the country's first serving Presidential cabinet member to be imprisoned.

Katherine Fall Pettey was committed to a mental hospital in the early 1920s. She died there in 1951. We've found newspaper articles that mention her briefly (since her brother was much in the news in the 1920s). Mark L. Gardner, author of the recent To Hell on a Fast Horse: Billy the Kid, Pat Garrett, and the Epic Chase to Justice in the Old West, also located some articles."

Of course, in addition to loving the poem, the connection to a former Interior Secretary of ill repute makes this one that much closer to home (I work for the US Geological Survey, in case you hadn't already figured it out from my frequently worn hoody).

Well, I think the Goodnight-Loving Trail is a fine place to bed down for the night. So many fine songs today, and the dogies are resting peacefully. Get some rest, you deserve it. See y'all in the morning.

IAmNoMan • Someday Soon • Yup, this is for sure a classic. Thanks for the wonderful song, well done!

xommen • Devils and Dust • Good song, I like your strident stroke on this. New to me, I am woefully lacking in The Boss' work.

LucilleJustRocks • Jesse James • Well done! This is very much an American classic, and has become an anthem of sorts for us anti-establishment types!

Surly-Mac • Old Cowboy Blues • Wow, terrific arrangment! Everything sounds terrific! Excellent!

redpaul1 • Cocaine Cowboy • So good! I was in the car this morning listening to the radio, and this story came on. I thought that maybe a song could be crafted for this Season. And here it is!

TCK • Paul Revere • Are you kidding me? Beastie Boys? So good! Color me impressed!

elmann • The Wild Wild West • Love the bass line, love the sound you got out of that sopranino! Well done!

Desert Pavement • Morning on the Desert • This is so cool. I just finished my second listen, probably a couple more to come, I loved the historical context - very interesting. The poem is terrific, and your tune is awesome!

AlanDP • Whatever Happened To Randolph Scott? • Excellent. In the late 70s there was a late-night TV commercial promoting the Statler Brothers' album and it played this song throughout. I remember being thoroughly sick of this song after a few months. Gotta say, I love it now! Good whistling, terrific performance overall! And, you could've used this song last Season as well!

IAmNoMan • Goodnight-Loving Trail • I never met Utah Phillips, though I wish I had. Amazing guy. This is a really good song, I'm so happy you brought it to this Season!

Rex already did a swimming cover of this classic from the Three Amigos. "Blue Shadows" was written by Randy Newman I believe. I can't wait to break this out when we go horse camping this summer! Thanks for showing me the light Rex!

Crap, looks like my credits didn't scroll. Whoops

Last edited:
Well I have no more bib shirts.
The blurb that came with this shirt said it is the same pattern as one worn by Tom Selleck in one of the Quiggly movies....

paoriginal for season 269.
Inspired by a scene from Blazing Saddles.

Last edited:
Whisky, mezcal, women, card games, shooting, death row, hallucinations,
what more could you want?

Code:
[COLOR=#000000][FONT='inherit']Well the (D)Mezcal is free in (Bm)Amanda's saloon 
[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT='inherit']For the (G)boys from the old Broken (D)O
[/FONT][/COLOR]Saturday nights in the (Bm)town of Sonora 
Are the (G)best in all Mexi(D)co
They've got (G)guitars and trumpets and (D/F#)sweet senoritas 
Who (Em)won't want to let you (A)go
You'd (D)never believe such a (Bm)gay happy town 
Had a (G)street named Sonora's Death (D)Row (G) 

Well (D)inside Amanda's (Bm)we were all dancin' 
With (G)all of Amanda's (D)gals
I won some silver at (Bm)seven card stud 
So (G)I was outdoin' my (D)pals
But the (G)whiskey and mezcal and (D/F#)peso cigars 
(Em)Drove me outside for some (A)air
Where (D)somebody whispered "Your (Bm)life or your money" 
I (G)reached but my gun wasn't (D)there (G) 

I (D)woke up face down in A(Bm)manda's back alley
[COLOR=#007FBF]A[/COLOR]([COLOR=#007FBF]G[/COLOR])ware of the fool I had ([COLOR=#007FBF]D[/COLOR])been
I rushed to my pony, I (Bm)grabbed my Winchester 
And I ([COLOR=#007FBF]G[/COLOR])entered Amanda's [COLOR=#007FBF]A[/COLOR]([COLOR=#007FBF]D[/COLOR])gain
Where (G)I saw my partners (D/F#)twirlin' my pistols 
And ([COLOR=#007FBF]Em[/COLOR])throwin' my money [COLOR=#007FBF]A[/COLOR]([COLOR=#007FBF]A[/COLOR])round
(D)Blinded by rage, (Bm)I pulled the trigger 
And (G)one of them fell to the (D)ground (G) 

Well A(D)manda's grew silent like (Bm)night in the desert
My (G)friends stared in pure dis(D)belief
Amanda was kneeling be(Bm)side the dead cowboy 
([COLOR=#007FBF]G[/COLOR])Plainly expressing her ([COLOR=#007FBF]D[/COLOR])grief
And as (G)I bowed my head, a (D/F#)tremble shot through me
My (Em)six-gun was there at my (A)side
I (D)felt in my pockets and (Bm)there was my money
I (G)fell to my knees and I (D)cried (G) 

For a (D)nightmare of mezcal was (Bm)all that it was 
(G)No one had robbed me at (D)all
I wish I was dreamin' the (Bm)sound of the gallows 
They're (G)testin' just outside the (D)walls
And the (G)mezcal's still free in A(D/F#)manda's saloon 
For the (Em)boys from the old Broken (A)O
And (D)I'd give a ransom to (Bm)drink there today 
And be (G)free of Sonora's Death (D)Row (G)
Yeah I'd give a ransom to (Bm)drink there today  
[COLOR=#000000][FONT='inherit']And be (G)free of Sonora's Death (D)Row (G)
[/FONT][/COLOR]

Last edited:
Thanks for hosting Randy. Every season is like a new learning adventure into great music! Keep up the great work.

Last edited:
This has been a wonderful season. I'm especially delighted because it's not a genre I have played much in the past. Thank to sharing your talents.
Always a pleasure learning something new each season.
"proud to be a seasonista"

This has been a wonderful season. I'm especially delighted because it's not a genre I have played much in the past. Thank to sharing your talents.
Always a pleasure learning something new each season.
"proud to be a seasonista"

It ain't over yet!! :-D

Whoopee ti-yi-yo! Git along little dogies (aka The Night Herding Song)

This is Roy Rogers (born Leonard Slye, Cincinnati 1911) speaking here, but it could just as easily be Steinbeck or Springsteen...

(LA Times - Roy Rogers obituary: After he [Leonard aka RR] had spent a year in the shoe factory, the Slyes, like so many families in the early Depression year of 1930, headed west. The family packed their belongings into a 1923 sedan and aimed it toward California.

Along the way, something important happened
...)​
Roy Rogers said:
"It was one night when we were--as usual--camping beside the road. No money for hotels or anything like that. Just for something to do, my dad and my cousin Stanley, who was with us, brought out their mandolins and started playing. I strummed along on a guitar.

"Well, by the time we were done with the first song, we had a crowd!

"They were people like us, camping out and mostly pretty hungry. You could tell most of them hadn't smiled in a long, long time. But now they smiled, listening to the music. It made them happy; kept the dark away for a little bit. That's what I learned that night: I learned what music is for."

The original of this tune, performed by Roy Rogers in the 1940 Republic musical "West Of The Badlands" is, apparently, "The Old Man Rocking The Cradle", of Irish origin. If so, it could account for the song's 6/8 time signature.

This song is specifically mentioned by John Lomax in his introduction to his 1911 collection of "Cowboy Songs and Other Frontier Ballads", as being one of two that that been given him by a black saloonkeeper who had been a trailhand earlier in life. The other was "Home On The Range."

In common with most of the songs in that collection, they don't half go on. Sensibly, Roy kept it to just 3 verses and choruses. Where he led, I've followed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom