Season 269 - Cowboy Songs

I made comments about a raptor band on the yakking thread and it looks like their publishers are still at it. I don't get this over protective attitude. What harm does it do if others sing and record your songs? They still get royalties as YT simply puts ads in front of the video so; what's the problem? I don't get it, I would take it as a compliment. My own view is there a need for a "right to perform" in copyright legislation. Something similar exists in patent legislation to stop companies preventing people developing inventions that might compete with their existing products. You would still be liable for royalties but it would allow others to sing and play their songs and put their own stamp on them.

You could try Vimeo, Val. I they seem to have a somewhat more robust attitude to these guys and a clearer set of policies on copyright material.

Thanks, Geoff ... I had sort of thought about trying Vimeo; but haven't quite established yet what is involved and whether I would actually be any more successful.

I haven't got the faintest idea what I've just done, but, if anyone in the States is interested in watching, I think this should be the vid. that Youtube blocked. (If you never hear from me again, you'll know I am in jail!)

Well, I don't know. I know Supertramp 'cos Rex got a copyright strike for covering one of their numbers, and I know that Glenn Frey was particular avid in his pursuit of Eagles' covers on YT, but I don't know any others (someone may have said Prince, but I really don't know).

That's why I thought a sticky might be useful. It could be added to as and when people got busted for a copyright infringement.
Incidentally, I think that all those 'Fair Use' disclaimers you see in cover versions do about as much to stop you getting busted as a prayer to St Christopher before you set off on a car journey does to stop you from getting rear-ended (see what I did there?).

Don't stop him ... he's on a roll ...

greetings,
what, a cowgirl from New Jersey? Here goes The Rodeo Song from Garth Brooks. Lets just say that Cowboy Songs are a challenge for me. :)

And the great cowboy songs keep coming through the pass! I'm having a terrific day, I hope y'all are enjoying it too!

pabrizzer • F Troop • Holy cow, the instant I saw the title the entire song rushed into my head, lyrics and all! Captain Parmenter, Wrangler Jane, Corporal Roark. I think I watched too much TV when I was little!

pabrizzer • The Filly of My Dreams • Lovely song, and I'm always impressed by the quality of your playing. Although you've displayed all your cowboy shirts - all wonderful - I hope you continue to add to the richness of this Season!

wee_ginga_yin* • Cowboy Holiday • This is a wonderful alternative to the "Batman Smells" version. I like it a lot! Love the big ending!

YorkSteve • Don't Come The Cowboy With Me, Sonny Jim • Good song, new to me. Thanks for the introduction!

redpaul1 • Cowboy True • This really is a good song. Thanks for bringing it to the Cowboy Season!

LimosinLil • A Love That Will Never Grow Old • Good song.Great addition to this Season!

IAmNoMan • The Holdup • Really interesting song, I've never heard it before. Nice discovery - well done!

lelouden • Arizona Killer • Wow. This has it all. Interesting story, fantastic song, and an amazing performance! Your playing sounds very "Western-authentic!" You knocked this one out of the corral, my friend!

Ginas uke • The Rodeo Song • So good! One of my favorite Garth Brooks! I love your voice on this one! You're a real cowgirl!

TCK • When The Bloom Is On The Sage • Great song, and Annabelle is adorable!

Jazzbanjorex • Rocky Raccoon • This is a McCartney Masterpiece! Among my favorite Beatles songs. I love your take on this.

AlanDP • Chopo • Wow, this is one of my favorite cowboy songs! As you surely know, the original was one of Jack Thorp's "Songs of the Cowboys." After Don Williams recorded this, the Riders in the Sky adapted it for the Toy Story song, "Bullseye." Great job, I could listen to you sing cowboy songs all day!

I had hoped to contribute to this season, there are so many excellent songs but it's not to be. I'm off to visit my elder daughter in a couple of hours. I'm going by train and when I had packed everything, there was no room to put a uke in - not even my flea or soprano Risa (though that would have needed a mini amp as well) so no entry from me.

San Antonio Champagne

Class wars in Texas.

Code:
C                                 F        D7
She was queen of the social world in San Antone
G7                                C
I was a cowboy who called El Paso home
                             D7
We met and fell in love at a rodeo dance
G7                                          C
Right from the start our love didn’t have a chance

F         D7
Cause put a west Texas cowboy next to satin and lace
G7                                      C
Blue jeans and velvet are just so outta place
                            D7
But I still love her so and it’s a crying shame
But you can’t mix El Paso wine with San Antonia champagne

F            D7
She married a doctor from San Angelo 
G7                                     C
I see her now and then when I work the rodeo
                              D7
She’s still just as pretty as she was back then
  G7                                       C
I wish her the best even though she’s with him

F         D7
Cause put a west Texas cowboy next to satin and lace
G7                                      C
Blue jeans and velvet are just so outta place
                            D7
But I still love her so and it’s a crying shame
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=&quot]But you can’t mix El Paso wine with San Antonia champagne[/FONT][/COLOR]

Here is an original written especially for this week. It is inspired by my memories of reading a book, some 30+ years ago, entitled "The Real West" which busted all the myths about the Wild West that Hollywood, especially, had made us believe. It made a great impression on me at the time - but a lot of what it said is now common knowledge. It seems MGM's portrayal of the old west is probably as accurate as our contact with aliens will eventually resemble the encounters in Star Trek :p

My entry is one of the very few (2-3?) original Estonian songs which mention cowboys: "Kivilinna kurb kauboi" (Sad Suburban Cowboy), written in 1987 by Andres Loigom and Heldur Karmo. No horse, no prairie, just gray buildings and asphalt...

Here's the song Jon Bon Jovi wrote because he didn't want Dead or Alive being used in Young Guns

As soon as I saw the theme, I knew what song I had to do. This one's got some special resonance for Breaking Bad fans...

So my previous entry was featured in a late episode of Breaking Bad; I thought I'd better follow it up with one that was used on Better Call Saul (Junior Brown did it on the soundtrack). A cowboy (Western Swing, anyway) love song by Ernest Tubb.

Top Bottom