Season 269 - Cowboy Songs

Thank you for an awesome week, Randy. I'm so honored by the shout out; thank you muchly. Congratulations to all! :)

This was a great week of music (all that I Had time for) and it sure brought in some really fabulous originals too. Thanks Randy for taking the time this week to bring a winner.

Congratulations to the winners and the special mentions!

Fab job one and all! So many good songs I can't wait to pack in my poke and take camping this summer. Special shout out to Limousine Lil for doing a song I suggested by Emmylou Harris called "The Ballad of Sally Rose." I don't think it made it into the official season but it's worth a listen.

This song has some special significance for me because it reminds me of my Aunt Hope who has native american heritage like my dad. She was bounced through a series of foster homes when she was young. Fed up, she took off on her horse and started riding across the country. I guess she was running away looking for something brighter over that horizon. She didn't make it as far as Sally Rose, but this song always reminds me of her.

Hope was a character and didn't take no guff from no one no how. Later on in her 50s she was headed across country again, this time in a pickup instead of a horse. She started trading barbs over the CB radio with a trucker who was headed the same direction. Well they started flirting as the miles passes and well, one thing led to another. Wouldn't you know it, she ended up following that big rig all the way from the east coast right here to Portland, OR and married that truck driver!

Another thanks to Tommy for introducing me to a terrific poem / song in the country cowboy tradition "Tying Knots in the Devil's Tail" I can't wait to memorize this one for the campfire too.

Last edited:
Greetings Randy,

Thanks so much for an awesome week. I heard so many cool cowboy tunes!! Congrats to our awesome winners and honorable mentions.

Ciao
Gina

Now THAT'S a fine story, right there young fellah!

Fab job one and all! So many good songs I can't wait to pack in my poke and take camping this summer. Special shout out to Limousine Lil for doing a song I suggested by Emmylou Harris called "The Ballad of Sally Rose." I don't think it made it into the official season but it's worth a listen.

This song has some special significance for me because it reminds me of my Aunt Hope who has native american heritage like my dad. She was bounced through a series of foster homes when she was young. Fed up, she took off on her horse and started riding across the country. I guess she was running away looking for something brighter over that horizon. She didn't make it as far as Sally Rose, but this song always reminds me of her.

Hope was a character and didn't take no guff from no one no how. Later on in her 50s she was headed across country again, this time in a pickup instead of a horse. She started trading barbs over the CB radio with a trucker who was headed the same direction. Well they started flirting as the miles passes and well, one thing led to another. Wouldn't you know it, she ended up following that big rig all the way from the east coast right here to Portland, OR and married that truck driver!

Another thanks to Tommy for introducing me to a terrific poem / song in the country cowboy tradition "Tying Knots in the Devil's Tail" I can't wait to memorize this one for the campfire too.

Bunches of fun here, Randy.
Thanks for the terrific job of hosting.
I dig and honor your enthusiasm and hard work.

While on the subject. Thanks to everyone who takes time to host.
I know it's not easy to do well and all of you folks are doing a great job.

It's been a while since I've had much time to post much less to host.

Also, if anyone else is on the way to GNUF I'd love to shake your hand and maybe strum a few tunes. Lesley is making a trip there the Thursday before the festival and I'm so happy to be able to meet her and Wee Tigers and Red Paul, too.

Hugs all around!

Alan Lomax Song Map

]Bunches of fun here, Randy.
Thanks for the terrific job of hosting.
I dig and honor your enthusiasm and hard work.

While on the subject. Thanks to everyone who takes time to host.
I know it's not easy to do well and all of you folks are doing a great job. [/QUOTE]

:agree:

decaturcomp;1960364It's been a while since I've had much time to post much less to host. Also said:
Looking forward to seeing you at GNUF, Al.

What I really came here to say though was this. I relied quite a lot this week on John Lomax collection of Cowboy Songs and Frontier Ballads. I found this this just now. Gold: New, Interactive Web Site Puts Online Thousands of International Folk Songs Recorded by Folklorist Alan Lomax

Global-Jukebox-3.png

What a fun week! Thanks so much for the honor Randy. I sure am blown over to be selected. I'll PM you and see you out on the trail.

Top Bottom