Season 269 - Cowboy Songs

Just caught up with this theme. Been out at a session this afternoon.

Reckon I will be OK, after all I only play cowboy chords anyway. Boom! Boom! :rulez:

I'll have to get an entry in early as I'm off to my daughter in London on Wednesday and not back till next Tuesday.

Last edited:

We had lots of tumbleweeds in Wyoming. On got stuck on the nose of my 78 Camero and I drove with it for a long time. I was just hoping it didn't start Packman-ing my car.

Can't vouch for it's bona fides but I read somewhere that the derby was the most popular hat worn in the wild west.

Cowboys in America wore derbies as well as other hats, but most often they wore the stetson "Boss Of The Plains," which by the end of the 19th century morphed into many variations of what we now think of as the "cowboy hat."

Re: Ghost Riders In The Sky

"Simply the best cowboy song ever!" - IamNoMan

:agree:
desert scene.jpg

Last edited:
I am one happy cowpoke! These songs and performances are amazing!

IAmNoMan • Ghost Riders In The Sky • Yup, a classic for sure. And the namesake of my favorite cowboy band!

xommen • This Cowboy Song • This is a really good Sting song. Sting has written a few cowboy songs, and I like them all!

frisbee fred • O Bury Me Not • Oh boy, this is something special! Terrific composition, the addition of the poem is simply inspired!

UkuleleLibrarian • Cowboy • Great song, lots of energy. Love your backup vocalists!

Jazzbanjorex • Dead Or Alive • So weird! I had a feeling that you'd do this! Maybe I'm a psychic! Or at least a sidekick! Anyway, magnificent job, and stay safe at the OK Corral!

LucilleJustRocks • Billy The Kid • Really good song, I'm glad it made it to the Seasons! Well done!

Jazzbanjorex • Blue Shadows On The Trail • Hooray! I LOVE this song! The Three Amigos is among my favorite movies, and you know I'm a big Randy Newman fan! Real good take on this. Still loving the cigar box!

AlanDP • Sam Bass • Oh yes. Terrific song choice, and your take is soulful and sweet. Thanks for this, I appreciate the research and the story, too!

pabrizzer • Old Battleaxe I Love You So • I like this one a lot! It's authentic and heartfelt. This should be a cowboy standard!

Jazzbanjorex • Tumbling Tumbleweeds • Another classic! This is such a beautiful cowboy song and I love your take!

pabrizzer • The Coyote's Song • You're on fire! This is another song that fits seamlessly into the Great Cowboy Songbook! I hope you have more shirts!

Cowboys in America wore derbies as well as other hats, but most often they wore the stetson "Boss Of The Plains," which by the end of the 19th century morphed into many variations of what we now think of as the "cowboy hat."

I think this is where i read it ....

It is not clear when the cowboy hat began to be named as such. Westerners originally had no standard headwear. People moving West wore many styles of hat, including top hats, derbies, remains of Civil War headgear, sailor hats and everything else.[7][8] Contrary to popular belief, it was the bowler and not the cowboy hat that was the most popular in the American West, prompting Lucius Beebe to call it "the hat that won the West".[9] The working cowboy wore wide-brimmed, high-crowned hats that were most likely adopted from the Mexican Vaqueros before the invention of the modern design.[10] However, original cowboy hats originated in Northern Mexico and the Stetson hats came later. Credit for the American cowboy hat as it is known today is generally given to John Batterson Stetson.[11]

it's only wiki though ....

...People moving West wore many styles of hat, including top hats, derbies, remains of Civil War headgear, sailor hats and everything else...

Sailor hats, huh? I'm just not seeing it!

roy-sailor.jpg

Last edited:
I think this is where i read it ....

It is not clear when the cowboy hat began to be named as such. Westerners originally had no standard headwear. People moving West wore many styles of hat, including top hats, derbies, remains of Civil War headgear, sailor hats and everything else.[7][8] Contrary to popular belief, it was the bowler and not the cowboy hat that was the most popular in the American West, prompting Lucius Beebe to call it "the hat that won the West".[9] The working cowboy wore wide-brimmed, high-crowned hats that were most likely adopted from the Mexican Vaqueros before the invention of the modern design.[10] However, original cowboy hats originated in Northern Mexico and the Stetson hats came later. Credit for the American cowboy hat as it is known today is generally given to John Batterson Stetson.[11]

it's only wiki though ....

Pretty sure that's correct. If you look at very many old photos from the late 1800s, you will see mostly the kind of hats described above. The "cowboy hat" just didn't exist back then.

Pretty sure that's correct. If you look at very many old photos from the late 1800s, you will see mostly the kind of hats described above. The "cowboy hat" just didn't exist back then.

Yeah, I think Pa's pretty much right, too. I like to think of the "Cowboy Era" as something like 1865-1910, when the John B. Stetsons emerged, but the truth is, American cowboys go much farther back than that. There are many misconceptions about cowboys, many due to Hollywood. For instance, most people do not realize that a huge percentage of cowboys were African-American. Early movies did not reflect that.

Here is a link to pictures of the hats worn by the first cowboys, Hawaiians! https://www.pinterest.com/konalance/paniolo-the-true-first-cowboys-of-america/

In 1832, Kamehameha III sent one of his high chiefs to California to hire cowboys who could round up wild cattle and teach Hawaiians cattle and horse handling skills. Three Mexican-Spanish vaquero (cowboys) named Kossuth, Louzeida and Ramon began working on Hawai`i island, first breaking in horses to turn them into working animals, then rounding up and handling hordes of cattle.

Hawaii's cowboys became known as paniola, a corruption of español, the language the vaquero spoke. The term still refers to cowboys working in the Islands and to the culture their lifestyle spawned.

Hawaiians proved themselves avid students, quickly picking up horsemanship, roping and other skills. Hawaiians became paniolo before the territories of the American West had cowboy or ranch traditions. Cowboys in the Pacific Northwest got their start in 1846; in California and Texas it was 1848. Because Hawaiians began their work with cattle and horses earlier, their paniolo traditions were strongly shaped by the Mexican vaquero heritage that stemmed originally from Spain.

Ned was badly wounded in legs and groin despite his armour after the shootout with police at Glenrowan.
They tended to his wounds and he recovered before being hung.
There was apparently a joke at the time -
Why is Ned Kelly like bacon?
He was cured before being hung.

Last edited:
Top Bottom