Season 269 - Cowboy Songs

Before somebody else does it, and does it better, here's one of Warren Zevon's songs about "misunderstood" celebs. Alan Thornton did a great version of this earlier in the Seasons, but here's my go at it.

Sonoras Death Row by wee_ginga_yin, Senior Member
Whisky, mezcal, women, card games, shooting, death row, hallucinations,
what more could you want?

Good job, good tune!
(Gotta love Sonora! :D)

Code:
[/I]

Last edited:
There's still a ways to go before we get to Kansas City, and I'm really enjoying these tunes. Wait! Anyone hear a coyote howl just now?

librainian • Blue Shadows On The Trail • This is one of my favorite songs ever. I love your treatment, it's something special. "'Night Ned."

mountain goat • Home On The Range • Gorgeous.

pabrizzer • Beans • This is a well-written song. It sounds as if it's been around forever, which is a mark of a great song, I like this a lot, well done!

wee_ginga_yin* • Sonoras Death Row • This one is new to me. It's a really good song, thanks for bringing it here!

stanat20 • The Dying Cowboy • This is a timeless, beautiful song, essential to the cowboy songbook. Well done, thanks for bringing it to the Season!

forte555 • Wild Montana Skies • Wow, this is quite a production! Love it. I'm always amazed by AJ's and your talent and enthusiasm.Thanks for coming around this Season!

redpaul1 • Git Along Little Dogies • A classic cowboy song, I like your take on this a lot, a little different from most versions, but it sounds very authentic. Whoopee ti-yi-yo!

pabrizzer • What's A Poor Cowboy To Do? • Nice. You can come play around my campfire anytime!

ukuloonie • Buckaroo Man • Wow, this is just excellent. Your voice and playing are perfect!

AlanDP • Railroad Corral • Oh, this is an oldie but a goodie! Great job on this, I'm happy you added this to the Season!

hendulele • Frank and Jesse • Yup, Alan did a fine job on this, and so did you! Good song, terrific addition to the Season! Thanks!

This song was written by E.P. Christy, Founder of The Christy Minstrels in 1853. 102 Years later it was a Hit for Mitch Miller and knocked "Rock Around the Clock off the chart"!

I Spent the Day in Gettysburg today. The Redbuds are in Bloom all over the Park. I inherited my wifes old Ipad and tried to record this song there. No Go! Well at least I serenaded the ghosts of J.B. Hood's Texans and Georgians fron the top of a boulder in Devil's Den. The Irish Brigade got "Gary Owen a little later in Plum Run, "The Valley of Death.

Last edited:
Here's an original you can sing to your grandkids. Please feel free to share with all the children you know. All kids from 80 days to 80 years will have fun trying to yodel.

Howdy y'all. I grew up in southern Idaho, and cowboys were the masculine ideal in my home town. I can appreciate a cowboy hero as much as anyone. (For a perfect example, read a couple chapters from any Louis L'Amour novel.) But in my hometown, most of the men who identified as cowboys were more like the bad guys from westerns. Ornery, violent, intolerant, and unkind. Scary, really.

So for this Seasaon, I looked around for a song that explores some of the issues of the cowboy ideal. I found this one, written by Ned Sublette back in 1981, and made famous by Willie Nelson 25 years later. The lines about small towns are the ones that hit home for me.

Oh, and sorry for mis-stating the Season number in my vid. Randy, you're one of the good cowboys, and the 269th Season is turning out to be a real hootenanny :)

Last edited:
a really great cowboy song from a wonderful texas singer songwriter...steven fromholtz,...i hope y'all can check him out..made my growing up days sensible...

cheers all!

I haven't got the faintest idea what I've just done, but, if anyone in the States is interested in watching, I think this should be the vid. that Youtube blocked. (If you never hear from me again, you'll know I am in jail!)

Lil - I'm both old AND slow but I'll be darned if I can get to this video!! No clickable link and I had no success trying https://vimeo.com/212789588[/video or https://vimeo.com/212789588 as an address....

EDIT - NOW IT WORKS!! Thanks

Outlaw Pete

You know how I was complaining earlier about how the original cowboy songs don't half go on? Well, they certainly seem to have given Bruce the bug. From 2009's Working on a Dream, a seven (7! & be grateful, the original weighed in at 8!!) minute saga, inspired by tales of Brave Cowboy Bill, of "of a man trying to outlive and outlast his sins" in the wild West..

Oh, yeah... any similarities to Kiss 'I was made for loving you', are purely coincidental :rolleyes:

Season 269 - Rocky Raccoon

Once again I said the wrong season, sorry about that.

here it is

(I am having a bad hair day.)

It's out penultimate day on the trail. We rode past Wichita this morning, and we'll be in the saloon by tomorrow night. Still lots of great songs to be heard, though! ("heard" / "herd" - see what I did there?)

IAmNoMan • The Yellow Rose of Texas • Yup, this song belongs here. Nice job. Like the banjolele, LOVE the t-shirt!

forte555 • I'm A Big Cowboy • Nice yodeling! But how can I use the potty when I'm out on the trail?

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters • Cowboys Are Frequently, Secretly Fond of Each Other • I am so happy that you did this one! I'm a huge Willie Nelson fan as you probably know, and this song is beautiful as well as courageous. Bravo!

thesillydave • The Man With The Big Hat Is Buying • This is a good song, new to me. Thanks for bringing it to the Season. I love hearing you here on the Seasons!

xommen • Big Iron • This is such an epic cowboy song. I love your take on this, it has a great feel to it.

xommen • Dead Or Alive • Really good take on this!

alanDP • I'd Like To Be In Texas • Now that's a cowboy song! Love it!

redpaul1 • Outlaw Pete • A fine western song. Sounds like you were channeling Dylan there, too!

Bruce Rutherford • Fort Worth • Really good song, I'm so happy to have it in this Season. This is a complete, well-written, beautiful song.

cua94 • Rocky Raccoon • One of my favorite Beatles songs! Well done!

Lil - I'm both old AND slow but I'll be darned if I can get to this video!! No clickable link and I had no success trying https://vimeo.com/212789588[/video or https://vimeo.com/212789588 as an address....

EDIT - NOW IT WORKS!! Thanks

If you were browsing from an iThing, embedded videos from Vimeo don't show up in Safari. Don't ask me why but I always have to go to my PC - Firefox in Linux - to find them. I don't know if the Same thing happens on aMac PC

Last edited:
Knocking On Heaven's Door

I had just one short number planned to round off this Season, but three times already this week I've been told my voice brings Bob Dylan to people's minds. Well, if that's not a hint to bring a Dylan number to the party, nothing is.

From the soundtrack to Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid (1973), I bring you this Dylan number, Knocking On Heaven's Door. Take a listen and decide for yourself :)

Oh and Happy Easter, everyone!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom