Which soprano? Kiwaya KS-5 or Martin S1?

EmmaQ

Reaction score
Please, I need help deciding on a soprano. I'm considering both the Kiwaya KS-5 and the Martin S1. 2 totally different instruments, I know. I chose the Kiwaya because it's a laminate but a high quality one and I'm thinking it could be nice to take on hikes, etc. Then again, the Martin may possibly have better and more complex tone so maybe I should choose it instead. Argh... I'm a intermediate skilled player- actually already own 3 other very nice ukes- a concert, a tenor, and a baritone. I welcome all opinions and suggestions. Thanks!

Get both. :)

I've owned a Kiwaya KS-1, which I would imagine sounds similar to the KS-5 considering the laminate, as well as a Martin S1. Both make a quality product. Everything else is going to come down to personal preference. I don't think you can go wrong with either purchased from a place that inspects and sets up the instruments before selling them. My preference between the two would be the Martin. As best I recall, the sound was more interesting to me and I also liked the feel better. I've also owned a LoPrinzi Model A solid mahogany soprano that could be had in the same price range that was my favorite, by far, of any of those. They're a lot harder to find though.
You could always get an Outdoor Ukulele for $95 for hiking.

Last year I bought and returned the Kiwaya KS-5. It was actually a very nice instrument but I think I wasn't quite ready for a soprano at that time. I was flustered by the soprano scale and the friction tuners were frustrating. If I had had my current mindset I likely would have kept the Kiwaya. (I now play the soprano comfortably and am getting along OK with the friction tuners on my Flea, though they are still frustrating.) The Kiwaya had a wonderful woody sound and great intonation. I did not care for the glossy, thick finish or the color of the wood however.

Today, I hanker for the S1 Centennial. I like the Martin sound and the excellent playability of the neck as I have experienced on my Mexican-made C1K. I like the matte finish and the classic look of the Martin. So my choice would be the S1.

I actually think the FS-5 may have the more complex tone, but I'm comparing my FS-5 in person to the S-1 in recordings. The FS-5 is vey full sounding, very loud, and very tone-stable all over the fretboard. It sounds bigger than it is, and nothing about the sound says "laminate". The S1 has the Martin sound, which is a bit more boxy, judging by recordings, so it really comes down to your sound preferences. For the FS-5 I can attest excellent playability with low action and great inntonation (it has a compensated saddle also). If you prefer geared tuners, there is a FS-5G model (maybe only with the Famous logo, but it's the same thing).

Isn't the S1 mahogany? That's going to make a big difference. In Kiwaya-land all laminates do not sound the same. Koa sounds like Koa. Mahogany sounds like mahogany. That said, I think they're both nice instruments.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Haha, I want both of them. I think for now I'm going to choose the Kiwaya but keep my eye out for a good Martin deal when I have more funds. Thanks!!

Top Bottom