Ukulele books: Digital or paper?

When buying ukulele books, do you prefer e-books or paper books?

• I prefer digital e-books, if available.

Votes: 13 19.4%
  • I only buy e-books.

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • I prefer traditonal paper books, if available.

Votes: 19 28.4%
  • I only buy paper books.

Votes: 13 19.4%
  • I have no preference or it depends on the content/price/etc.

Votes: 17 25.4%
  • I don't buy ukulele books at all.

Votes: 4 6.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I would love to end on a humorous note...but the topic is too serious at this point, so I will move on and keep quiet on this matter.

A little levity might help lighten the mood (NSFW)...

Last edited:
I learn a song I like and play it from memory. No stand, batteries, books, readers,etc. Takes longer to learn a song that way. While learning the song, paper, phone, tablet work for me, no preference. Most of the time the lyrics are the most difficult to memorize as most have familiar repeating chord patterns. But it's great to be able to peak at lyrics on the phone when out and about and practicing a new song.

When I walk I'll practice reciting the lyrics of a new song.

One thing I like about paper books is the tactile aspect. Each book is unique, feels differently, has it's own touch (and smells differently). A device physically always feels the same, regardless of the book read. I recall seeing a study that indicated that for this reason it's also easier (for children) to learn from physical books and retain the material better. There is more "information" for the brain than the content. I think this may be true for me, but it's difficult to say with certainty as I tend to get physical books only (if there is a choice) if I'm really into the subject matter, so I am also more likely to engage more deeply with it.

Another pro for physical books (and to a slightly lesser degree: e-ink readers) is the "isolated island" factor. When I read on a tablet or phone, I am far more likely to multitask. I'll check the forum, Wikipedia, mail, work stuff, etc. if at the press of a button I can switch to a browser or (worse) messaging program. It's different if I have to put aside a book and pick up the tablet or walk to the computer. As a result, I'm more concentrated and focused when reading paper books. This may be related to better retention of the content, too.

Another pro for physical books (and to a slightly lesser degree: e-ink readers) is the "isolated island" factor. When I read on a tablet or phone, I am far more likely to multitask.

Very good point. Since my tablet does not have a cellular data connection, it becomes an island when I turn off wi-fi. That's usually enough to keep me focused on one activity. Of course, it helps that nothing on my tablet is as much fun as playing ukulele!

Paper or electronic, the important thing is for people to figure out what works for them. Both media require effort to keep things organized (how many tab sheets did I lose before I got them 3-hole punched and into a binder?) Both require care and feeding (gotta charge the tablet / gotta file the books back on the shelf). Both demand some thought about maintenance (where do you store books / where do you back up files?) Neither is guaranteed to still be here 10 years from now.

Ultimately, I think the medium does not matter. It's changing our habits... that's the rub.

I'll read whatever format is available, having two book readers and my tablet. But I've never paid for an e-book, mostly because the e-books I read are out of print vintage horror and Sci if which you can get for free

I assume that everyone who uses tablets for music has a dedicated app to display them?

My PDF viewers and browsers don't stop the tablet from turning the screen off after a while, but while I am still playing.
Do some apps scroll automatically, so you won't have to turn pages?

My PDF viewers and browsers don't stop the tablet from turning the screen off after a while, but while I am still playing. Do some apps scroll automatically, so you won't have to turn pages?

A good tool for turning pages are Bluetooth foot pedals.

I assume that everyone who uses tablets for music has a dedicated app to display them?

My PDF viewers and browsers don't stop the tablet from turning the screen off after a while, but while I am still playing.
Do some apps scroll automatically, so you won't have to turn pages?

If you have an iPad, forScore has a setting to stop the screen from automatically timing out. You can also go to Settings, Display and Brightness, and set the device to "Never"'for Auto-Lock.

Top Bottom