Do Tax refunds fuel UAS

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
As the title askes.............does getting a tax refund put you in the buying mood. Does having the extra money infect you with a little UAS. Do you actually plan to purchase ukuleles around refund time or does having the money give you the freedom to jump on a good deal if one presents itself.

I am happy with my current line up and I have actually been selling off ukuleles. Kinda downsizing and a little proud of it. But I did get a refund and a couple of used ukes that I have wanted to own became available and I had some extra money.

You can guess what happened...........downsizing shot to Hell :p :biglaugh:

What about you!!!!

Last edited:
I got a small windfall last year and immediately started shopping for a new uke :) When something like that happens I usually allocate a percentage to 'sensible spending' and a percentage to 'fun money'. So, some of it went on a new cooker and washing machine, and some of it went on a new Pono. Life's too short, as they say ;)

Extra money always fuels my UAS, doesn't matter where it comes from. :p

Though right now I'm not really lusting after something that I really want to try out or that I can afford. I'm curious about a resonator uke, but as I'm still in the process of experimenting with the concert size, it's not a good time to make a purchase. Plus, good resonators cost more than I'm ready or able to spend at present.

The other thing is a baritone. I do miss the one I sold. But I'm currently making good learning progress and already feel that I have a confusing number of choices (linear tenor in C, reentrant concert in C, reentrant soprano in D, and the guitar), and I haven't even really submerged myself into the banjo uke yet, either. In my ideal world I'd still only like to have three or fewer ukuleles. :) Overall I feel I'm in a good place with what I have, especially with how well the tenor and the concert complement each other.

So instead I bought some strings today (currently really loving the Aquila Reds) and the three books by Ukulelezazza (he had a few copies of volume one left). More sensible than another instrument, and cheaper.

Having spare money is still a fairly new concept to me, & it is always tempting to buy myself something new.

My UAS has gone away - but has been replaced, very slightly, by HAS. ;)

(HAS = Harmonica Aquisition Syndrome).

(HAS = Harmonica Aquisition Syndrome).

That is more affordable too, I imagine! I have been looking at a chromatic Hohner model for a longer while now, but I shy away from that rabbit hole.

I have completely resisted the harmonica, it has been a tough battle. I LOVE the sound and one of the regular jams I attend is lead by a very accomplished harp player. He does harmonic nights from time to time at the jam. It would be so easy to give in to the temptation......must...resist

I have completely resisted the harmonica, it has been a tough battle. I LOVE the sound and one of the regular jams I attend is lead by a very accomplished harp player. He does harmonic nights from time to time at the jam. It would be so easy to give in to the temptation......must...resist

As someone who has dabbled with blues harp I can tell you that someone learning to play the harmonica is not a nice sound. You (and your neighbours) will not LOVE the sound of you practicing - believe me ;)

Actually, the opposite occurred for me. Owed some taxes this year, and sold some ukes.

But, in the past refunds did enable me to get a nice uke or 2.

Yes, if I recall it was a tax rebate that helped me buy my last uke (the thin-bodied arched-back maple Brüko). I think there's only one ukulele I'd be after now (if I was lucky enough to get another injection of spare cash), and that's a half-decent sopranino. Actually come to think of it, I'll be seeing my local luthier again soon, so I might just get him to file smooth the frets on my Caramel sopranino instead.

Sorry but financially, I don't subscribe to the idea of "extra money." Money's money. People who feel obligated to spend it are often the same people who don't have enough money when an emergency occurs and must sell something they'd rather not. Just my personal philosophy.

Yes, if I recall it was a tax rebate that helped me buy my last uke (the thin-bodied arched-back maple Brüko). I think there's only one ukulele I'd be after now (if I was lucky enough to get another injection of spare cash), and that's a half-decent sopranino. Actually come to think of it, I'll be seeing my local luthier again soon, so I might just get him to file smooth the frets on my Caramel sopranino instead.

You have a local luthier, Jim! Who is that?

Sorry but financially, I don't subscribe to the idea of "extra money." Money's money. People who feel obligated to spend it are often the same people who don't have enough money when an emergency occurs and must sell something they'd rather not. Just my personal philosophy.

To me, extra money is money that is in addition to safety-net/emergency money (I call it a buffer), not every cent beyond the bare minimum needed to pay the essential bills. In general, though, I value time, and quality of time, more than money. Money is just a means to improve life quality, but in itself (the passive having of it) doesn't do much to make life more fun.

What's a tax refund? :)

Yes, it did this year. I had purchased a nice vintage camp uke earlier in the year with money earned from teaching an extra class. I figured that would nicely round out my stable and did not foresee any more acquisitions. When the thread opened here on the forums about an Overstock.com item that was about half off, I jumped on it only because I knew of my refund.

There is always one party pooper..........just joking Phil. Extra money is exactly what it sounds like. All the bills are paid, everything is taken care of, there is plenty of money in the bank and this money would just go into the savings account and sit there. I've never felt "obligated" to spend anything.

Sorry but this was suppose be a fun, tongue in cheek thread.

Last edited:
This one is making me laugh. I don't need a tax refund to justify spending money, I do that pretty well all year long. :) Anyway, it isn't UAS, but it is ukulele related. I went in to see my tax preparer yesterday, and decided that today I am going to go look for a new tablet to put all my music on. I don't know if that is because I see that I'm getting a nice little refund for the first time in a decade, but if that is what it takes to make me feel good about it, then what the heck. It is as good of an excuse as any.

Last edited:
What's a tax refund? :)

Heeheee! I was just waiting for someone to be the first to ask that!

In all seriousness, we always endeavor to the best of our ability to manage things so that the minimum possible amount is either to be owed or refunded each year. We don't always succeed as well as we want, but somehow it feels better to have to pay a couple hundred in taxes than to get a thousand back, while knowing the goobermint has had an interest-free loan of our money for the past year. Just my personal philosophy!

(And tax refunds have nothing to do with purchases of anything, in my mind.)

bratsche

To me, extra money is money that is in addition to safety-net/emergency money (I call it a buffer), not every cent beyond the bare minimum needed to pay the essential bills. In general, though, I value time, and quality of time, more than money. Money is just a means to improve life quality, but in itself (the passive having of it) doesn't do much to make life more fun.

Nearly everything is a "balancing act" based on personal values and beliefs. I can still remember the old "if it feels good do it" philosophy from the 70's, LOL

Top Bottom