Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do Tax refunds fuel UAS

Default Do Tax refunds fuel UAS

As the title askes.............does getting a tax refund put you in the buying mood. Does having the extra money infect you with a little UAS. Do you actually plan to purchase ukuleles around refund time or does having the money give you the freedom to jump on a good deal if one presents itself.

I am happy with my current line up and I have actually been selling off ukuleles. Kinda downsizing and a little proud of it. But I did get a refund and a couple of used ukes that I have wanted to own became available and I had some extra money.

You can guess what happened...........downsizing shot to Hell

What about you!!!!
    Last edited by DownUpDave; 04-13-2017 at 12:18 AM.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

I got a small windfall last year and immediately started shopping for a new uke When something like that happens I usually allocate a percentage to 'sensible spending' and a percentage to 'fun money'. So, some of it went on a new cooker and washing machine, and some of it went on a new Pono. Life's too short, as they say

Extra money always fuels my UAS, doesn't matter where it comes from.

Though right now I'm not really lusting after something that I really want to try out or that I can afford. I'm curious about a resonator uke, but as I'm still in the process of experimenting with the concert size, it's not a good time to make a purchase. Plus, good resonators cost more than I'm ready or able to spend at present.

The other thing is a baritone. I do miss the one I sold. But I'm currently making good learning progress and already feel that I have a confusing number of choices (linear tenor in C, reentrant concert in C, reentrant soprano in D, and the guitar), and I haven't even really submerged myself into the banjo uke yet, either. In my ideal world I'd still only like to have three or fewer ukuleles. Overall I feel I'm in a good place with what I have, especially with how well the tenor and the concert complement each other.

So instead I bought some strings today (currently really loving the Aquila Reds) and the three books by Ukulelezazza (he had a few copies of volume one left). More sensible than another instrument, and cheaper.

Having spare money is still a fairly new concept to me, & it is always tempting to buy myself something new.

My UAS has gone away - but has been replaced, very slightly, by HAS.

(HAS = Harmonica Aquisition Syndrome).
    Long Neck = Kala KA-SLNG - Ohana SK30M - Ohana SK30L - Ohana CK35L
    Electric = Mahalo 'Surfboard' concert - RISA Solid/Stick concert - RISA Uke Ellie tenor - RISA Solid/Stick tenor
    Concert = Baton Rouge Hotrod - Baton Rouge Sun thinline cutaway - Kala KA-CEME - Kala KA-ASAC
    Tenor = Kala KA-T (fitted with classical guitar strings DGBE)
    Baritone = Lani solid Spruce top - Kala solid Cedar top

Quote Originally Posted by uke1950 View Post
    (HAS = Harmonica Aquisition Syndrome).
    That is more affordable too, I imagine! I have been looking at a chromatic Hohner model for a longer while now, but I shy away from that rabbit hole.

Not necessarily cheaper - but there are fewer models available.......
    Long Neck = Kala KA-SLNG - Ohana SK30M - Ohana SK30L - Ohana CK35L
    Electric = Mahalo 'Surfboard' concert - RISA Solid/Stick concert - RISA Uke Ellie tenor - RISA Solid/Stick tenor
    Concert = Baton Rouge Hotrod - Baton Rouge Sun thinline cutaway - Kala KA-CEME - Kala KA-ASAC
    Tenor = Kala KA-T (fitted with classical guitar strings DGBE)
    Baritone = Lani solid Spruce top - Kala solid Cedar top

I have completely resisted the harmonica, it has been a tough battle. I LOVE the sound and one of the regular jams I attend is lead by a very accomplished harp player. He does harmonic nights from time to time at the jam. It would be so easy to give in to the temptation......must...resist
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    I have completely resisted the harmonica, it has been a tough battle. I LOVE the sound and one of the regular jams I attend is lead by a very accomplished harp player. He does harmonic nights from time to time at the jam. It would be so easy to give in to the temptation......must...resist
    As someone who has dabbled with blues harp I can tell you that someone learning to play the harmonica is not a nice sound. You (and your neighbours) will not LOVE the sound of you practicing - believe me

Actually, the opposite occurred for me. Owed some taxes this year, and sold some ukes.

But, in the past refunds did enable me to get a nice uke or 2.
    -Hodge
    Humble strummer of fine ukes.

Yes, if I recall it was a tax rebate that helped me buy my last uke (the thin-bodied arched-back maple Brüko). I think there's only one ukulele I'd be after now (if I was lucky enough to get another injection of spare cash), and that's a half-decent sopranino. Actually come to think of it, I'll be seeing my local luthier again soon, so I might just get him to file smooth the frets on my Caramel sopranino instead.

Thread Information