Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do Tax refunds fuel UAS

Sorry but financially, I don't subscribe to the idea of "extra money." Money's money. People who feel obligated to spend it are often the same people who don't have enough money when an emergency occurs and must sell something they'd rather not. Just my personal philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by jimavery View Post
    Yes, if I recall it was a tax rebate that helped me buy my last uke (the thin-bodied arched-back maple Brüko). I think there's only one ukulele I'd be after now (if I was lucky enough to get another injection of spare cash), and that's a half-decent sopranino. Actually come to think of it, I'll be seeing my local luthier again soon, so I might just get him to file smooth the frets on my Caramel sopranino instead.
    You have a local luthier, Jim! Who is that?
    Walnut Flea Soprano, Eleuke Peanut, Rob Collins Soprano, Motu, Ukubidon, Gretsch Camp Ukulele, Tenor "Style Manouche", Hora mahogany Baritone, Roger Terry baritone, Sylvain Enjoubaut concert, Outdoor Ukulele (tenor), Ohana Vita, Ohana KA-6 (6-string tenor), DoudsandJo electro-acoustic tenor.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilUSAFRet View Post
    Sorry but financially, I don't subscribe to the idea of "extra money." Money's money. People who feel obligated to spend it are often the same people who don't have enough money when an emergency occurs and must sell something they'd rather not. Just my personal philosophy.
    To me, extra money is money that is in addition to safety-net/emergency money (I call it a buffer), not every cent beyond the bare minimum needed to pay the essential bills. In general, though, I value time, and quality of time, more than money. Money is just a means to improve life quality, but in itself (the passive having of it) doesn't do much to make life more fun.
    Current main players: Moon Bird concert and Barron River tenor. My other ukes are listed on my profile page.

What's a tax refund?
    Originally posted by ukemunga:
    "Best is a very personal thing. Gotta play it to love it. And you'll always think there's one better. And there is."

Yes, it did this year. I had purchased a nice vintage camp uke earlier in the year with money earned from teaching an extra class. I figured that would nicely round out my stable and did not foresee any more acquisitions. When the thread opened here on the forums about an Overstock.com item that was about half off, I jumped on it only because I knew of my refund.
    - Laura

Soprano - Koaloha Opio (Sapele), Martin OXK (HPL), Brueko No. 2 (Maple), Kala ASOV -S (Spruce/Ovangkol), Vintage 40's Silvertone (Mahogany), Vintage 50's Harmony (Birch), Vintage Camp Uke (Birch) Zither Heaven (1 Black Walnut & 1 Cherry), First Act Discovery (Plastic)
    Concert - Luna (Spruce top)
    Tenor - Outdoor Ukulele (Composite Polycarbonate), Mainland (Mahogany)

There is always one party pooper..........just joking Phil. Extra money is exactly what it sounds like. All the bills are paid, everything is taken care of, there is plenty of money in the bank and this money would just go into the savings account and sit there. I've never felt "obligated" to spend anything.

Sorry but this was suppose be a fun, tongue in cheek thread.
    Last edited by DownUpDave; 04-13-2017 at 04:05 AM.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

This one is making me laugh. I don't need a tax refund to justify spending money, I do that pretty well all year long. Anyway, it isn't UAS, but it is ukulele related. I went in to see my tax preparer yesterday, and decided that today I am going to go look for a new tablet to put all my music on. I don't know if that is because I see that I'm getting a nice little refund for the first time in a decade, but if that is what it takes to make me feel good about it, then what the heck. It is as good of an excuse as any.
    Last edited by Rllink; 04-13-2017 at 07:54 AM.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.
    There's more than one road into Richmond. Lil' Rev
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LEY9E_W5sw

Quote Originally Posted by bearbike137 View Post
    What's a tax refund?
    Heeheee! I was just waiting for someone to be the first to ask that!

In all seriousness, we always endeavor to the best of our ability to manage things so that the minimum possible amount is either to be owed or refunded each year. We don't always succeed as well as we want, but somehow it feels better to have to pay a couple hundred in taxes than to get a thousand back, while knowing the goobermint has had an interest-free loan of our money for the past year. Just my personal philosophy!

(And tax refunds have nothing to do with purchases of anything, in my mind.)

bratsche
    A bunch of stringed instruments tuned in fifths. And a bunch of cats!

"There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
    To me, extra money is money that is in addition to safety-net/emergency money (I call it a buffer), not every cent beyond the bare minimum needed to pay the essential bills. In general, though, I value time, and quality of time, more than money. Money is just a means to improve life quality, but in itself (the passive having of it) doesn't do much to make life more fun.
    Nearly everything is a "balancing act" based on personal values and beliefs. I can still remember the old "if it feels good do it" philosophy from the 70's, LOL

Nearly everything is a "balancing act" based on personal values and beliefs. I can still remember the old "if it feels good do it" philosophy from the 70's, LOL
    I'm trying to get back to that.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.
    There's more than one road into Richmond. Lil' Rev
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LEY9E_W5sw

Thread Information