How waterproof are the fluke/flea ukuleles?

superp84

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I just did a bunch of searches on these forums about waterproof ukes and some folks recommend the fluke/flea in addition to the fully plastic ukes like outdoor, bugs gear, makala waterman etc.

I LOVE the sound/look of the flukes and can afford one right now, but didn't realize they were waterproof? I thought they had laminate/wood pieces not just all plastic. Couldn't find anything on their website around that, any one has any intel? And I mean waterproof as in "playing in the rain, bringing on a canoe trip" waterproof.. :)

They are definitely not water proof. They have a wood soundboard and neck. Your best bet would be an Outdoor Ukulele or a Waterman.

They are definitely not water proof. They have a wood soundboard and neck. Your best bet would be an Outdoor Ukulele or a Waterman.

I agree with all of the above X10. The plastic back and plastic fret board are the only things waterproof. Wood sound board and neck not so much.

go Outdoor Ukulele if you want to play in the rain. The newest tenor versions are pretty good

go Outdoor Ukulele if you want to play in the rain. The newest tenor versions are pretty good

+1 on this recommendation for Outdoor Ukulele for absolutely worry-free waterproof ukulele (well, the tuners ARE metal, so be careful there!) I had the tenor and recently bought the latest version of the soprano. I also own a lovely little Flea but wouldn't take it with me in the rain (at least not intentionally).

I definitely would not want to get a Flea wet...

I'll put in another vote for Outdoor Ukulele if you're wanting something to get wet.

I would not want to see if my Flea can float, nor would I want to use it as a canoe paddle.

IMHO, that's what a Makala Waterman is good for. :)

I had hoped most players would have enough sense to come in out of the rain! ;)

That was my thought too, the exception being performing a Gene Kelly style cover of "Singing in the Rain"... :D In that case, the alternative suggestions to the flea would be fine.

That was my thought too, the exception being performing a Gene Kelly style cover of "Singing in the Rain"... :D In that case, the alternative suggestions to the flea would be fine.

If that is the case, they probably need a drain plug installed!

My experience with the Kala Waterman was pretty bad (very poor intonation), so I'd look at the Outdoor ukuleles if I shopped for another plastic uke. Sadly, they're not easy to get in Europe.

Top Bottom