Martin S1 Soprano - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
It was kind of pre-empting the vintage Martin officionados who tend to sneer at these...

After a hiatus from the ukulele realm, and UU, this seems like a nice thread to jump back in with...

Overall I think you produced a fair and objective review. My current "modern Mexican Martin" is the C1K model which I purchased after my former S1 model. The S1 was a flawless player for me and the only reason I sold it along with many other Ukes I had owned was that I needed to fund another venture and the fact that my collection grew faster than I could play and enjoy them all. As noted above, my C1K has fought hard to keep the Concert-size top spot for me among some very tough competition from Ohana and Mainland Ukes that I also own and enjoy immensely.

The S1 was single-handedly responsible for me pursuing and eventually finding an exquisite '60s Martin Soprano that has only further solidified my interest and appreciation in Martin instruments. For a production line made instrument, I think the S1 as a solid-mahogany body instrument with a proven build quality from Martin's highly experienced production methods provides a lot of value that any buyer and player would be hard pressed to go wrong with. Arguably the field is very crowded in this price point, but that's what makes it interesting and fun.

Thank you Barry for another great review. I really love my S1, CK1 and the Style 1 Centennial uke. There are no flaws nor imperfections and have a great sound.

More temptation for me to buy the S1. I'm not sure I needed any more temptation. I am becoming increasingly unhappy with the mellow sound of my Flea and may sell it off to get a Martin soprano.

Thanks all. You know me by now (I think). I tell it like it is, and tend to mention even the smallest gripes. Still actually think this is a great ukulele though. Still despise that logo sticker - but what can you do. Martin have been doing it for years, and show no signs of stopping!

A local second-hand music store is selling a S1 for $250. I need to avoid that store until it is gone (I saw it listed on Craigslist, a popular online classified ad service). At that price, something has to be wrong with it...and I wonder if their on staff "luthier" fixed something on a broken/damaged S1 and is now selling it as "used?"

Really really not a bad instrument, but some issues (minor ones I guess)

Why do you include such subjective complaints, based on personal taste?

"Bag is an unnecessary addition
Horrid headstock logo
Rosette looks a bit cheap too"

Horrid headstock logo

A review ought to be subjective. I would venture to say that most folks who read reviews want to hear an honest and knowledgeable critique of that which is being reviewed. No review is more worthless than one which just regurgitates statistics provided by a manufacturer or seller. Barry has a lot of experience playing and reviewing a wide range of instruments. His experience will shape the review. How could he not express his opinions?

I went out and bought that S1.

In regards to the previous post, Barry includes his impressions. Some are personal preferences, others are based on observations that impact playing (see the Caramel review thread, for example, where my overall conclusion differs from Barry although I can't and won't argue with any of his observations).

As for these things: I liked the sticker until I realized that vintage Martins are engraved, and the sound hole seems to be a sticker, too. And the bag is actually pretty nice, but at risk of putting words in Barry's mouth, a hard case is a better thing to include for a solid wood instrument. So all three of these personal taste criticisms make sense to me!

Last edited:

Horrid headstock logo

Because it's a personal review...

Any review for products, instruments, food, music, movies are going to reflect the personal opinion of the reviewer. As a reader we make a decision whether those things matter to us or not. Sometimes there may be reviewers whose opinions we don't connect with, but nonetheless it gives some perspective.

I have seen reviews in some publications or websites that seem to be just a product promo. I find those worthless.

If anything - that's why I write my reviews the way I do and the overwhelming comments are that people like the personal style - that's what they were always intended to be. I can't bear 'reviews' that are nothing but shop promotions myself.

But as I've found before and massively so in the last week - some people still don't get that they are just personal opinions - despite them being written this way for nearly 9 years..

Because it's a personal review...

"bag is an unnecessary addition"
"horrid headstock logo"

These are not just personal gripes, they are needlessly negative and inconsistent with other reviews you've done.

I guess if you have an extra gig bag or case, another bag may be unnecessary.

In any case, Thanks for your review.

Of course they are personal gripes! They are my personal thoughts.

I don't review for a magazine or a store. I review for me - my thoughts. And these are things that bothered me. I also don't review expecting everyone to agree with me, and that's just fine because they are just MY thoughts.

I do think the bag is unnecessary as the vast majority of buyers will get a hard case (as this is not a cheap ukulele and also thin solid wood), so drop the bag and fix the horrid logo with the saved budget. I mean, the logo IS horrid - it looks like a cheap greeting card. If people disagree with those views, they are totally free to ignore them and actually make their own minds up though.

As for it beeing 'needlessly negative' - this review has a very high score and a recommendation. Hardly negative!

Not sure how it can be inconsistent either - I've never seen a ukulele with a logo like that at this price - but I often critisise ukuleles for badly applied logos and praise them if they are done well. I wouldn't critisise a $50 ukulele for including a free bag, but then this isn't a $50 ukulele

Last edited:
I went out and bought that S1.

Congrats, you got a great price. I love mine.

As for these things: I liked the sticker until I realized that vintage Martins are engraved, and the sound hole seems to be a sticker, too. And the bag is actually pretty nice, but at risk of putting words in Barry's mouth, a hard case is a better thing to include for a solid wood instrument. So all three of these personal taste criticisms make sense to me!

Those things are readily apparent by the good hd pictures available on dozens of websites including martinguitar.com. I want to know how it sounds, plays, intonation, sustain, build quality, defects, etc..

@bazmaz BTW, since I'm on a roll, add a few new licks :)

Top Bottom