UH-OH! Amp not working

bunnyf

Reaction score
Well, I lent out my amp (Roland street cube). Just tried plugging in today, and all I get is a loud buzz. I'm not very tech saavy, so I'm asking you all who might know, is this something fixable or am I wasting my time and money taking it somewhere to have it looked at?

Sounds like you suspect that the person who borrowed it, blew it?
Make sure that you have your cable plugged in firmly (all the way) on both ends.
Try a different cable.
Does it work with headphones?
I assume you've tried changing the position of the various dials and switches.

If it's okay on batteries (not plugged into the wall) all you need is a new wall wart.

Thanx for input guys. Knew I could count on you for help. I didn't know what a blown speaker sounds like, but that was my first thought. I did all suggested and have it pinned down to a poor connection with the inst input port. I used my good Monster cable, but who knows. I fiddled with that connection (making sure it was firmly in) and it came on. I'll try another cable if it goes back off. Thanks all.

A long time ago I had an amp that I thought was toast. It turned out that one one the phono jack wires had a tenuous connection causing it to cut out and/or distort. 15 minutes and a soldering iron was all it took to fix it. So it might not be the cable. It could be the jack.

Good luck---

A long time ago I had an amp that I thought was toast. It turned out that one one the phono jack wires had a tenuous connection causing it to cut out and/or distort. 15 minutes and a soldering iron was all it took to fix it. So it might not be the cable. It could be the jack.

Good luck---

Rick, I think you are probably right. My Monster cable is pretty new. I think that some kinda on again, off again connection, possibly at the jack is the culprit. It's been working, so for now I'm ok. I'm thinking about not disconnecting the cable at the amp each time and just leaving it plugged in at that end so as to not screw with the Jack as much. If the problem comes back, I'll have it looked at. Thanks for the input.

Blown fuse?

Apparently, blown internal fuses are quite common in Roland Cubes, might be with a look too :)

I don't think it's the speaker or the fuse, if you fiddle with the cable and it works.
Does the plug feel loose in the jack?

I don't think it's the speaker or the fuse, if you fiddle with the cable and it works.
Does the plug feel loose in the jack?

Stan , it does feel loose. I hadn't plugged in for a while but if my memory serves me correctly, it used to be a much tighter connection when I pushed the cable into the amp. It's working now, but I wonder how reliable it'll be.

Top Bottom