Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sticky fingers

Default Sticky fingers

I play a Soprano and I'm moderately experienced, but one problem that I suffer is that I sound strings when I release a chord. It's like my fingers are sticky or something (even though they're completely dry). So on a quiet piece I end up with an unwanted 'pull-off' chord as I lift my fingers.

Somebody told me that players of Spanish guitar rub their finger pads on their forehead to pick up some of the natural oils on the skin to avoid this. Not sure whether that's true or not.

I had this happen when I started playing, but as my finger tips toughened a little, it mostly went away. I may also have pressed too hard. It could also depend on the strings you are using. Have you experimented with different materials?
    Current main players: Moon Bird concert and Barron River tenor. My other ukes are listed on my profile page.

Maybe I'm pressing two hard and perhaps the strings are embedding into my pads a bit too deeply. My pads are already quite hard but they do have a groove in them.

I'm using Aquila strings, which I like because they have a nice full sound. Is there a different flavour I could try?

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I'm using Aquila strings, which I like because they have a nice full sound. Is there a different flavour I could try?
    I find Martin fluorocarbons to be the most "slippery" strings I've tried. I'd rank Aquilas on the slightly sticky side, but not as much as Oasis, if that helps. Funny how different string textures and different skin textures can or can't play well together

I used to suffer this too, but as my tips hardened it became less often, & has almost completely disappeared now that I use flourocarbon strings.
    Keith M --> likes a long neck - & baritone.

Looking on Amazon, is this what you would recommend?
    GHS 20
    or
    GHS H20
    and are they are the right ones for standard GCEA tuning?
    Last edited by Grey; 04-15-2017 at 09:37 AM.

I recently changed my strings from the Aquila to the Martin fluorocarbon ones, and it definitely reduces the noises when releasing the strings. Also, because the fluorocarbon ones are much thinner than Aquila, even the barre chords are easier now!!!

Martin 600
    Beginner - Makala Dolphin, Kala KA-SLNG

Aquila make different strings. The Red Series is thinner than some fluorocarbon brands (the Martins have an E string that is too thick for me, which is why I haven't used them in a while.)
    Current main players: Moon Bird concert and Barron River tenor. My other ukes are listed on my profile page.

Are you washing your hands after you eat, before you play?
    I would suggest loosening your strings and wiping them down with a moist clean rag.
    Then I'd dress the fretboard with some good product like LoPrinzi fretboard butter.
    If that fails to help, you might have to do a string change....
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

My hands are always clean when I play (I'm kind of fussy about that and I have to wait a while for my pads to dry out). It could certainly be that over time the strings are accumulating a layer of deposits from my fingers or even from the air (like pollen or something). But I'm right handed so if I'm making notes my right hand might be picking up dirt, but it's the left hand holding the fretboard/uke. I'll certainly try cleaning the strings and the fretboard before I consider swopping out the strings.

Thread Information