Sticky fingers

I'm currently using aNueNue Black Water and Clear Water strings. They have a bit lower tension (but they are not floppy) and I find them really very easy and comfortable to play. They are new and not widely available yet, though. They have different gauges than other fluorocarbon sets, so for people who haven't yet found strings they swear by, or who'd like thinner or differently balanced strings, they may be worth a look.

So... I have started lifting my fingers slower and that seems to help. I also noticed how gracefully many players move around the fretboard and how little they raise them from the fretboard. When I'm trying to keep time, I'm in a big hurry to lift my fingers, move and plant them elsewhere, so it's almost like three movements rather than one fluid movement. Seems like an obvious solution but just playing at a slower tempo, get everything sounding sweet, then maybe picking up the pace as and when I can cleanly move around the fretboard (with all fingers moving in unison and in one movement).

I think technique will ultimately be your solution. Once you develop a smoother transition between chords I think it may help. I just tried to get a pull off between chords and found that if I aggressively lift my fingers I can get a pull-off, but when I normally play I don't hear any. Maybe a lighter touch and less lifting might help.

I do realize that some fast flamenco style playing would take a technique far beyond my ability, but for most chord/fingerstyle you will be able to get there.

John

Just rub a little talc powder on your fingers and make sure you wipe it off, that works for me in hot sticky weather.

I thought about this thread this morning. My seven month old grand daughter sits on my lap and helps me play the ukulele. She grabs the strings, licks the ukulele, and she slobbers all over the fretboard. My whole ukulele is a sticky mess.

I thought about this thread this morning. My seven month old grand daughter sits on my lap and helps me play the ukulele. She grabs the strings, licks the ukulele, and she slobbers all over the fretboard. My whole ukulele is a sticky mess.

Kids, can't help but lov'em. Sounds like you need to de-string it and clean it all up, the strings too. In a store near where I live they sell really cheap Ukes (a low end brand), maybe you should use one of those when she's around and keep your best Uke hidden away (and high up!).

Top Bottom