Season 270 - Be-Cause

Well, I think it's time to bite the bullet and learn the picking for the intro to a song I've been meaning to try for a long long time. If I don't make it this week, it's because it was too hard to learn in a week. It's from a band that famously reformed to play at the Live 8 concert.

Well, I think it's time to bite the bullet and learn the picking for the intro to a song I've been meaning to try for a long long time. If I don't make it this week, it's because it was too hard to learn in a week. It's from a band that famously reformed to play at the Live 8 concert.

Hey, that riff's way easier than I thought. It's the second uke that would be really difficult, but I should be okay if I leave that bit out.

Interestingly, (or not), I never was a concert goer, but I do remember all the fuss of 'Live Aid', at the time. :)

(Will try & find something.)

Sound Relief was a multi-venue rock music concert held on 14 March 2009. The event was held simultaneously at the Melbourne Cricket Ground and the Sydney Cricket Ground. All the proceeds from the Melbourne Concert and half of the proceeds of the Sydney Concert went to the Red Cross Victorian Bushfire Appeal to aid victims of the Black Saturday bushfires. The other half of the Sydney proceeds went to the Queensland Premier's Disaster Relief Appeal to help flood victims

The Black Saturday bushfires were a series of bushfires that ignited or were burning across the Australian state of Victoria on and around Saturday, 7 February 2009 and were Australia's all-time worst bushfire disasters. The fires occurred during extreme bushfire-weather conditions and resulted in Australia's highest ever loss of life from a bushfire; 173 people died and 414 were injured as a result of the fires.

Paul Kelly performed this song as his last of a set at the MCG. In fornt of about 80 000 people.

Hope to redo another Kelly song and maybe bring a Midnight Oil song. They also performed at Sound Relief.

The slave trader attempts to convince his listeners to climb aboard his ship and "sail away"
with him to America (specifically Charleston), which he portrays as a land of happiness and plenty.
Performed by Randy Newman at Farmaid, at a time when farmers were having their farms
and land repossessed... slaves to the banking corporations.

There has always been a gulf between the promise and the reality and no more so today.

Last edited:
An interesting theme. I looked at the Wikipedia link last night and am mulling over some ideas for when I get home.

Mates of State, a husband and wife duo on keyboards and drums, is a band we really love. They've done lots of benefit concerts over the years, but most recently in New Haven, CT, on March 5, they did a show benefiting the ACLU.

It seems we can't make a video these days without getting interrupted by a kid or two. 😫

270-1

Shelter from the Storm: A Concert for the Gulf Coast was a one-hour, commercial-free benefit concert television special that aired simulcast worldwide on September 9, 2005 at 8 p.m. ET/CT live (with a 30-second tape delay) from New York City and Los Angeles and tape delayed in the Mountain Time Zone and Pacific Time Zones. The special raised money for the relief efforts from the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. It was broadcast in over 100 different countries. All proceeds went to the American Red Cross or The Salvation Army.

Dr John performed so I picked on of his classics.

And a U2 song I have not attempted before because it is hard to play. Although I'm not a 100% happy I guess this will have to do for today. Here is my take on BAD. This song got a lengthy version at Live Aid, because Bono went into the crowd and had a hard time getting back to the stage (there is more to the story I guess, check out this link: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...-live-aid-that-made-the-bands-career-20140710 if you want to know more).

Good morning, everyone! And to those celebrating Easter and Passover, I wish you joy.

Phenomenal music has been brought so far and I've truly enjoyed reading about the benefits. What a great start!

Thanks so very much! Linda :)

For Season of the Ukulele 270, we're playing songs by artists who have appeared at Benefit Concerts. The Concert for Bangladesh is the granddaddy of all benefit concerts. Though the band as a unit did not play, Badfinger members Pete Ham, Tom Evans, and Joey Molland all played at the event, with Pete famously playing "Here Comes The Sun" with George H for the first ever live performance of the song. Here's "Take It All", played on tenor ukulele with singing. I overdubbed a Ubass and harmony vocal line.

Back in the days when I was an avid golfer, my regular playing partner would characterize many of my golf shots as: “Ill conceived… AND poorly executed.” This simple Noodle of Carole King’s, Up On The Roof fits right in with that “golfing” spirit.

The song was performed by James Taylor at the Concert of New York City on October 20, 2001 at Madison Square Garden in NYC, NY - USA. Aside from performing for charity, the concert was purposed to honor the first responders from New York City’s Fire and Police Departments, their families… and those who lost their lives in the Islamic-terrorist attacks that brought down the landmark Twin Towers on September 11, 2001.

Happy Easter everyone. We are away for the week, which means one uke and just a phone for technology. Here's one from the man behind Live Aid and Live 8, Bob Geldof, and his Boomtown Rats

"Come Together: A Night for John Lennon's Words and Music" Originally planned to celebrate Lennon's accomplishments, the concert took place on October 2, 2001, at Radio City Music Hall in New York City, shortly after 9/11 and exactly one week before the 61st anniversary of Lennon's birth. It was dedicated to "New York City and its people" and presented as a fundraiser for the Robin Hood Foundation. "Imagine" was sung by Yolanda Adams and Billy Preston.

Top Bottom