Season 270 - Be-Cause

"Mona Lisas And Mad Hatters" (1972) by Elton John and Bernie Taupin. Elton John, who often participates in benefit concerts, performed this song at The Concert for New York City, October 20, 2001.

Now performed by a mad hat wearer. :)

Another Randy Newman one from the Shelter From the Storm concert. I have never been to Louisiana and luckily never been a really bad flood. But I love this song. I find the lyrics so poignant, especially "Some people got lost in the flood. Some people got away alright." Just two lines but sums up how cruel and arbitrary these natural disasters can be. Was lucky enough to see Randy Newman a few years back here in the UK. The great man played for two hours, just him and his piano. Brilliant from start to finish.

throughout his life Frank Sinatra raised more than i Billion dollars for charity but to quote just one-Benefit for Refugees of the Hungarian revolt at the shrine auditorium in Los Angelis Nov 30th 1956.Sinatra recorded this song a few times once with the Count Basie Band

Safety Pin Stuck In My Heart

We started covering this Patrick Fitzgerald number last year as it was a particular favourite of Lindsay pUKE, who we lost to stomach cancer about this time last year. The most recent benefit gig* we performed it was 2 January this year in aid of Ukulele Kids Club UK: Giving ukuleles to hospitalised children in the United Kingdom.

*Totting up, I'm really surprised by the number of benefit gigs we've played. I reckon by the end of the week, I'll have the complete pUKEs back catalogue covered one way or another - though with about 3 of them, you probably won't be able to hear anything for bleeps - deffo #NSFW!!

Last edited:
Greetings,

A little Counting Crows from Net Aid. It could have been better ,the vocals aren't on the chord changes so it DROVE ME NUTS! And no one can croon like Adam from the Crows.

:)

I adore Crowded House. Neil Finn is such a talented songwriter. They played two benefits in Australia, Liverpool Earth and Sound Relief. I only wish I had his falsetto.

Anyway, this is a song I've been meaning to learn for a while. Takes on a completely different meaning in today's climate and apart from the obvious line in the chorus, the second verse has always struck a chord with me:

"And the paper today
Tells of war and of waste
But you turn right over to the TV page"

This song was sung by the Anonymous Tone Deaf Mountain Strangers (me and Mr Helliwell) at my local inn as a part of a Music Night Charity Event to help finance the heating system in the local Village Hall.....

John Hiatt - Since 1996, the Concert for Cumberland Heights raises money for the John Hiatt Adolescent and Young Adult Treatment Fund at Cumberland Heights.

Because of outstanding volunteer involvement the evening has developed into a special annual event on the Nashville social calendar raising almost $2.5 million for adolescent and young adult patient care.

“Terms Of My Surrender” is the title track from Hiatt’s 22nd album released in 2014 and a fan favorite.

Well, I've heard some more incredible performances in Day 2 of our Season. Thanks to all for taking the time to talk about the benefits in the posts. It really is heartwarming to see the way music rises to the occasion when needed throughout the world, both on the biggest of stages and the smallest. All for a worthy Cause!

And I have to say, I've heard so many songs already this week that someday I'd like to learn. For me, this has been a great experience.

Thank you so so much! Off to bed now for me! Linda :)

Close Up The Honky-Tonks - Red Hot & Country

The Red Simpson classic recorded by many, many artists, including Radney[sic!] Foster, who recorded this for Red Hot's country compilation, Red, Hot & Country, the 4th in the series. Red Hot also staged a performance of the album at Nashville's famous Ryman Auditorium, Sun 5 Mar 1995.

Kind of appropriate too that this entry shows I strum both ways ;-o

This one has been Recorded by many musicians but I have chosen Paul McCartney, (2006). The Benefit I have chosen as representative of the many Sir Paul has Done is Music for Montserrat (1997). The cocert was hels at the Royal Albert Hall, to raise money to benefit Hurricane-ravaged Montserrat, a Caribbean island where George Martin operates a recording studio.

Season 270. Submission 2. "If You Could Read My Mind (Written and recorded by Gordon Lightfoot, 1970)

Gordon Lightfoot performed in over 40 benefit concerts between 1970 and 2012. Here I'd like to mention concerts he gave in 2009 and 2012 to benefit the Soldier's Memorial Hospital Foundation in Orillia, Ontario, Canada.

This original song for kids supports the cause of World Peace, or more accurately the Anti-war movement. It has the secondary cause of Girl Power.

All Things Must Pass is a triple album by English musician George Harrison. Recorded and released in 1970, the album was Harrison's first solo work since the break-up of the Beatles.

George Harrison, benefit for the starving children of Bangladesh.

The All Things Must Pass album inspired the "If Not For You" cancer benefit concert. The concert benefited local cancer patients with financial hardships. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sHc6sH3h6I It became a tribute to George Harrison tribute concert https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DHXGN_OoM4

* This cover was inspired and borrowed from the pabrizzer version of the song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsFcR1316O8&index=21

PS, Linda, today is another day of birthdays. I have two granddaughters that share todays special day. This will be it for the week for me. Im hoping to get some time before the week is out to have a good listen to this week.

Last edited:
No Room for You - Demob

Enough of that left-handed malarky. Here's another staple in the pUKEs setlist, Demob's No Room For You part of our set at an anti-racist benefit in support of Green & Black Cross we did at T-Chances in Tottenham 2 Nov 2013

It's really weird doing these tunes 'solo'. Here's us performing this tune at London's famous 100 Club https://youtu.be/eQ7cKQjCtLo?t=2m20s

Last edited:
... Music for Montserrat (1997). The concert was held at the Royal Albert Hall, to raise money to benefit Hurricane-ravaged Montserrat, a Caribbean island where George Martin operates* a recording studio.

*Operated. 1) Air Studios Monserrat never reopened after the hurricane (Hurricane Hugo, 1989). 2) Sir George died in March last year.

Another fine listening day for me! I've heard everything through redpaul's "No Room For You." Great to read about the benefits and to find an original song submission to the Season.

I need to call it night, so I can be ready to teach early tomorrow. And so, Day 3 comes to close.

Thank you so much for all the playing, singing and listening this week! Linda :)

This was performed by Donovan at "The Secret Policeman's Other Ball" in 1981 for Amnesty International.

Eric Clapton, Concert For Bangladesh 1971 again, sorry, I'm so predictable.

Top Bottom