Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 270 - Be-Cause

I can't believe Prince died a year ago. While he's known as an eccentric genius, he also raised money for Gallaudet University (a school that teaches blind and deaf students) and recorded a single in memory of Freddie Gray. I listed this as Cyndi Lauper because I know Prince's estate can be weird about covers of his songs, but Cyndi has also played at benefits for LGBTQIA causes.

Default The River

Famously (or infamously!) he turned down Live Aid, but given the number of causes Bruce Springsteen has played benefits in support, I'm surprised he hasn't featured more this Season. Notable of course are the Vietnam Veterans Association conc -erts (1981), the Amnesty International Tour in suport of the UNDHR (1988), the WTC benefit (2001), Sandy Relief (2012), the list goes on.

But maybe, in terms of their careers, the most significant benefit he and the E Street Band ever played, were the two in support of MUSE (Musicians For Safe Energy) held at Madison Square Garden in September 1979 – the concert that really catapulted them back (following the legal battles between star and manager that dragged on for three years following the release of 'Born To Run' 1975 and that threatened to stall their careers almost before they'd began) into the top ranks of rock stardom.

The standout number of the two shows was a new number, not yet released (that would be take another year) – The River.

He did it in Em. I'm attempting it in Dm.

Sorry the sound's so crackly; it's fine on the original, but the original had its sound stripped out by YT during processing
    Last edited by redpaul1; 04-21-2017 at 11:42 AM. Reason: OS Sierra is a dog.
    Argapa custom piccolo | Argapa custom resonator soprano | Rob Collins custom soprano | Kavanagh custom concert | Ashton sop. | Clearwater SB electric concert | Kala PU-SSTU travel sopranissimo | Kala PU-SMH sopranissimo | Kala SSTU-BP soprano | Kala C/MU concert "The Mighty Uke"! | Kala SSTU-C concert | Kala SSTU-T tenor | Korala UKS-310 sop | Harley Benton BCJ100-FMH SB electric baritone | Lanikai S-B Baritone | Clearwater "long neck" baritone | Maholo sop. | Tiny Tangi

Too Drunk To Pluck

Quote Originally Posted by AlanDP View Post
    I loved the Hooters! Their lead singer also played the melodica.
    Hahaha! Busted! Well - if you like bands that feature the melodica - look no further than the pUKEs! :-D

That's Lindsay on melodica, btw.
    Last edited by redpaul1; 04-21-2017 at 11:45 AM.
    Argapa custom piccolo | Argapa custom resonator soprano | Rob Collins custom soprano | Kavanagh custom concert | Ashton sop. | Clearwater SB electric concert | Kala PU-SSTU travel sopranissimo | Kala PU-SMH sopranissimo | Kala SSTU-BP soprano | Kala C/MU concert "The Mighty Uke"! | Kala SSTU-C concert | Kala SSTU-T tenor | Korala UKS-310 sop | Harley Benton BCJ100-FMH SB electric baritone | Lanikai S-B Baritone | Clearwater "long neck" baritone | Maholo sop. | Tiny Tangi

Too Drunk To Pluck

I am enjoying the music everyone is posting. This song - "Rhymes and Reasons" - was done by John Denver at the 1979 Gift of Song benefit for UNICEF.

Last edited by cua94; 04-22-2017 at 03:22 AM.
    Liz

Ohana Tenor TK50 MG - solid cedar top
    Red Soprano Mahalo
    Green Kala KA-CEM Exotic Mahogany Concert (Low G)
    Purple Bugsgear Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by redpaul1 View Post
    Hahaha! Busted! Well - if you like bands that feature the melodica - look no further than the pUKEs! :-D

Yes, I just recently had a look at the pUKEs website to find out what you actually did ... exciting stuff!!!
    Walnut Flea Soprano, Eleuke Peanut, Rob Collins Soprano, Motu, Ukubidon, Gretsch Camp Ukulele, Tenor "Style Manouche", Hora mahogany Baritone, Roger Terry baritone, Sylvain Enjoubaut concert, Outdoor Ukulele (tenor), Ohana Vita, Ohana KA-6 (6-string tenor), DoudsandJo electro-acoustic tenor.

Quote Originally Posted by forte555 View Post
    This is Feelin Good originally written by Anthony Newly performed by many artists. This song was sung at a "Hugs for Charley" Benefit.
    Charley is a 6 year old suffering from Leukemia. We do a Jazz Dance each year in our community to benefit community members suffering from cancer.
    This is our Ukulele Group called "Forte' & the Pianissimos"

If you listen to nothing else listen to this one. It is inspiring and optimizes the season!
    Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Surly-Mac View Post
    John Hiatt - Since 1996, the Concert for Cumberland Heights raises money for the John Hiatt Adolescent and Young Adult Treatment Fund at Cumberland Heights.

Because of outstanding volunteer involvement the evening has developed into a special annual event on the Nashville social calendar raising almost $2.5 million for adolescent and young adult patient care.

“Terms Of My Surrender” is the title track from Hiatt’s 22nd album released in 2014 and a fan favorite.

Great to see Surly-Mac doing his stuff in the seasons. He explains why John Hiatt is an artist who can be shared this week.

This is Face of God from the album "Terms of My Surrender" - Scott does a great job on the title track - HERE.

Last edited by pabrizzer; 04-21-2017 at 11:59 AM.

Another one from the Live 8 concert in Hyde Park, 2005 - "awareness of the G8 summit, taking action against poverty" .... Ms Dynamite, a rapper, did Redemption Song. A favourite song of mine by Bob Marley and the Wailers...

Last edited by barefootgypsy; 04-21-2017 at 12:00 PM.
    Favourite uke - DJ Morgan long neck soprano
    Favourite banjo uke - vintage Gibson UB2

My blog lifesaukafrolic.blogspot.co.uk

Willie Nelson performed this at Farm Aid 2014.

Randy - Harry122
    "Whether or not you can ever become great at something, you can always become better at it." - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

I had thought that we could only play songs that were played at a benefit concert, but reading the themepost closer it says we can play any song ever done by an artist who performed at a benefit concert. And since this song was perfect for using my new Mellotron simulator box, I'm doing it. This is "Afterglow" by Genesis, sung and drummed by Phil Collins, who played in both the London and Philly shows of Live Aid.

Uke can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find uke get what you need!

YouTube: www.youtube.com/uke4ia

Thread Information