Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 270 - Be-Cause

John Denver was involved in a number of causes during his life. He performed at "A Gift of Song" for UNICEF in 1979 (Where he sang Rhyme and Reason), at the first Farm Aid concert in 1985 and also in the Soviet Union at a concert for the victims of the Chernobyl disaster in 1987. I've chosen Back Home Again for personal reasons. First it's one of my favourite John Denver songs and also I've been away for a week visiting my daughter and though it was lovely to see her and her family, it's also great to be "Back Home Again"
    Geoff Walker

I have several ukuleles in various sizes and am not planning on getting any more...

at least, not yet.

I also play some blowy things and a squeezy thing

Internet:
    You Tube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TootlinGeoff
    Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/tootlingeoff

In 1986 there was a concert called Self Aid. It was a benefit for the
    unemployed in Ireland and the Pogues performed this song
    I have already covered this song but at a much faster tempo, but I
    decided to dip in in treacle for 270

HyperBob says: Scottish steel and Irish fire, that's the weapon I desire
    My Youtube Ukulele channel
    My Youtube Gardening channel

Default Radio Ga Ga - Queen, Live Aid 1985

Live Aid was, of course, not simply, about raising money for Ethiopia. For the artists and groups participating it represented a glorious showcasing opportunity.

As it turned out, however, despite the global exposure granted via LiveAid, it did very little to change the trajectory of participants' careers. Those artists who were on the way up, U2, say, or Dire Straits, continued on the way up. Those who were on the way down, The Boomtown Rats, Adam Ant, The Cars, The Hooters (who? precisely), continued on their way down.

Queen were the only band for whom Live Aid was a turning point in their careers. Of course they'd scored massive hits world-wide in the 70s, but then they'd produced a career-killing (in the US, at least) video to accompany their single "I want to break free." released in April 1984

Queen had intended it to be an affectionate tribute to their favourite soap stars. In the UK soap operas tend 1) to be gritty, blue-collar epics, 2) to be broadcast in early-evening prime-time 3) to feature indomitable women who each time they get knocked down by everything life (more precisely the feckless men in their lives) throws at them, get back up, dust themselves down and do whatever it takes to keep the family (da fahmly(!)) together. So they had the idea of staging the video in a domestic scene with them dressed up like female characters from 'Coronation Street' the longest-running and most famous of all British soaps.
    This attempt at humour went right over the heads of the US networks and down like a lead balloon Stateside. MTV banned the video and despite the single reaching #3 in the UK charts and (at least top 5 in all other European charts), it got no higher than #45 in the US. Brian May later commented "After 'I want to break free', we never had another hit in the US."

When Queen got the call to participate in Live Aid, lead singer Freddie Mercury immediately realised the significance of the opportunity presented them, and drilled the band mercilessly to prepare them for the challenge – in huge contrast to the ramshackle performances put in by many participants, notably Duran Duran and Led Zeppelin. Although relatively low down the bill, their 25 minute slot in which they played "Bohemian Rhapsody","Radio Ga Ga","Hammer to Fall", "Crazy Little Thing Called Love","We Will Rock You","We Are the Champions" nonetheless stole the show, and was later named "the world's greatest rock gig" in an industry poll.

The highlight of the highlight was of course Radio Ga Ga. Freddie sings it in F. I'm a 5th lower, in B♭ ☺

They tore down the old Wembley Stadium in 2002. Construction of the new stadium dragged on and on, caused by changes in the brief, and disputes with subcontractors. Finally, the main contractors brought in my brother, David, and within 6 months, put him in charge of the whole project. Within 12 months of him taking over, he was able to hand over the new stadium to its owners, the Football Association.
    #proudbrother

When David & I were little boys, our dentist was one Mr Bulsara, Freddie's uncle.
    Argapa custom piccolo | Argapa custom resonator soprano | Rob Collins custom soprano | Kavanagh custom concert | Ashton sop. | Clearwater SB electric concert | Kala PU-SSTU travel sopranissimo | Kala PU-SMH sopranissimo | Kala SSTU-BP soprano | Kala C/MU concert "The Mighty Uke"! | Kala SSTU-C concert | Kala SSTU-T tenor | Korala UKS-310 sop | Harley Benton BCJ100-FMH SB electric baritone | Lanikai S-B Baritone | Clearwater "long neck" baritone | Maholo sop. | Tiny Tangi

Too Drunk To Pluck

The first Folk Concert I ever attended was in 1970 at The Main Point. Theperformer was Michael Cooney. This concert instilled in me a passion for Folk Music that endures til this day. That night I resolved to take up the Banjo some day. The highest complement that can be paid to a Folkie is: "Knows more songs than Cooney"! In 1976 Godfrey Daniels one of the Nation's premier Folk Music venues opened for business. Six years later their landlord decided to sell the building. In order to support Godfreys several of the managers of Folk Clubs in Eastern PA put on benefit concerts to save Godfreys. At the Bothy Club I organized a concert featuring Mike Miller and Michael Cooney. In total the effort garnered over $10,000; enough for Dave Frye to make a down payment on the property. Forty-five years later Godfrey Daniels is still one of the country's premier clubs. Michael Cooney sang this song that night.

"Inspire me muse to sing of the wanderer, who sailed the wine dark sea and toppled the towers of Ilium"
    "Make a Joyous Noise"
    "Let there be song to fill the air"

Uncle Tommy's Holiday Camp

Another George Harrison composition.His best in my opinion.Reference to the benefit concert for Bangledesh refugees

Another Paul Kelly song. One of my favourites from early in his career .....

Phish, Farm Aid, 1998. I had a lot of fun doing all the vocal parts at the end of this one.

Last edited by AlanDP; 04-20-2017 at 12:19 PM.
    YouTube UkeintheHeartofTexas
    Axes:
    Sopranos - Kala Makala, Kala Ukadelic Texas Flag, Bruko Hilo (vintage 1960s!)
    Concert - Epiphone Les Paul
    Tenors - Kala KA-TE, Kala KA-TEME,
    Banjo Uke: Duke (tenor scale)
    Not a ukulele: Seagull Merlin (stick dulcimer)
    Keys:
    Hohner Instructor 32 melodica
    Ukulele Country: My blog about the ukulele and other musical things.

In August 1921, Franklin D. Rooseveltfell ill and was diagnosed with polio. The infectious disease left him with permanent paralysis from the waist down. In 1938 as President F.D.R. started the National Foundation for Infantile Paralysis, to combat polio. The name "March of Dimes" was coined by Eddie Cantor. After use of the polio vaccine became widespread, the foundation expanded its focus to the prevention ofbirth defects and infant mortality, and later also prevention of premature births. I contracted Polio sometime in 1954. It has effected me all my life. I have been a poster Child for both the March of Dimes and the American Red Cross. I have been an advocate of helping folks with disabilities all my Life. The Kingston Trio in its many formulations has done many benefit concerts since the late 1950s but none dearer to my heart than their support for the March of Dimesin 1959.

"Inspire me muse to sing of the wanderer, who sailed the wine dark sea and toppled the towers of Ilium"
    "Make a Joyous Noise"
    "Let there be song to fill the air"

Uncle Tommy's Holiday Camp

Here's that second video I promised, Linda!

Ben Gibbard of Death Cab for Cutie and The Postal Service recently (on March 5) performed a solo act in a benefit concert for Standing Rock. The proceeds went to the Water Protector Legal Collective.

We are performing "Nothing Better" by The Postal Service. We hope you enjoy it!

"Ah, Music. A Magic beyond all we do here!" - Albus Dumbledore.

thank you for this week Linda.
    following Brian's lead.
    more Paul Kelly.
    Sound Relief 2009.

Thread Information