Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 270 - Be-Cause

Default Radio Ga Ga (reprise)

The last time I tried to take on Radio Ga Ga, back in 2013, I was battling a chest infection (as then, as now ☹), so I made this video instead and posted it to the Island (tina's Season 86 included a challenge to take on a Queen song). Freddie lived just a couple of blocks from me, and it's a trip from my front door to his...

Quote Originally Posted by redpaul1 View Post
    I wanted to do something for austin1's Season 86, but time & germs were against me. So I did this instead. Hope you'll indulge my self-indulgence:
    Incidentally, looking again yesterday at that sheet music you see me holding in the video, I noticed for the first time that pretty much the whole song is in Mixolydian mode (the melody goes from so to so rather than do to do – Ionian mode). The only time it switches to Ionian mode is for the last two lines of the chorus (Radio, what's new / Someone still loves you).
    Code:
    Radio Ga Ga (transposed into C – or to be strictly accurate: into G Mixolydian, 
    with occasional modulations into C Ionian!!) 
    (Queen)

C Dm7 F Dm7 F C x2 

Dm/C  C 
    Rad-i-o

C 
    I'd sit alone, and watch your light
       Dm7 
    My only friend, through teenage nights
        F 
    And everything, I had to know
      Dm7            F    C 
    I heard it on my radi-o.

C 
    You gave them all, those old time stars
            Dm7 
    Through wars of worlds, invaded by Mars
        F 
    You made 'em laugh, you made 'em cry
        Dm7               F        C 
    You made us feel like we could fly
    Dm/C  C 
    Rad-i-o.

C 
    So don't become, some background noise
      Cm6/Eb 
    A backdrop for, the girls and boys
        F 
    Who just don't know, or just don't care
        D7/F# 
    And just complain, when you're not there
        Csus4 C              Csus4 C 
    You had   your time, you had   the power
           G7sus4                   G7 
    You've yet to have, your finest hour
    F     C  Dm/C  C 
    Rad-i-o  Rad-i-o

C/Bb            F     C 
    All we hear is, radio ga ga,
    F     C        F     C 
    Radio goo goo, radio ga ga
    Csus4           F     C 
    All we hear is, radio ga ga
    F     C 
    Radio blah blah
    Bb          |F    G |
    Radio what's new  
    Am     Gsus4 G   Gsus2 G     C 
    Radio, some- one still loves you

C 
    We watch the shows, we watch the stars
       Dm7 
    On videos, for hours and hours
       F 
    We hardly need, to use our ears
        Dm7           F           C 
    How music changes through the years

C 
    Let's hope you never, leave old friend
         Cm6/Eb 
    Like all good things, on you we depend
       F 
    So stick around, cause we might miss you
        D7/F# 
    When we grow tired, of all this visual
    F     C  Dm    C 
    Rad-i-o  Rad-i-o

N.C.
    C/Bb           F     C 
    All we hear is radio ga ga
    F     C 
    Radio blah blah
    Bb          |F    G | 
    Radio what's new? 
    Am   G   Gsus2 G     C 
    Some-one still loves you

C Dm7   F Dm7 F C 
    C Cm6/D F D7 

F     C 
    Rad-i-o 

Bb           F    G 
    Radio what's new? 
    Am     Gsus4 G   Gsus2 G     C 
    Radio, some- one still loves you
    Last edited by redpaul1; 04-20-2017 at 04:43 AM.
    Argapa custom piccolo | Argapa custom resonator soprano | Rob Collins custom soprano | Kavanagh custom concert | Ashton sop. | Clearwater SB electric concert | Kala PU-SSTU travel sopranissimo | Kala PU-SMH sopranissimo | Kala SSTU-BP soprano | Kala C/MU concert "The Mighty Uke"! | Kala SSTU-C concert | Kala SSTU-T tenor | Korala UKS-310 sop | Harley Benton BCJ100-FMH SB electric baritone | Lanikai S-B Baritone | Clearwater "long neck" baritone | Maholo sop. | Tiny Tangi

Too Drunk To Pluck

In 2004 Green Day were at the peak of their powers and U2 were making a big comeback. American Idiot and How to Dismantle An Atomic Bomb had a huge impact on me as a teenager and went on to shape my music tastes in a big way in the years to come. They also helped me look at the world in a different light.

Fast forward a couple years later and both bands come together to play ahead of the first NFL game at the Louisiana Superdome since Hurricane Katrina. In that set, they mashed up the folk song 'House of the Rising Sun' and The Skids' 'The Saints Are Coming'. The gig and match itself was obviously a huge relief for the people of New Orleans after 12 months of hell and they later released the song as a single which raised a lot of money for the relief effort. 14 year-old me had his mind blown. So I absolutely had to cover it for this week.

Last edited by RAB11; 04-20-2017 at 04:39 AM.
    "Even on a cloudy day, I'll keep my eyes fixed on the sun"

Good morning and welcome to Day 5 of Season 270! It's an unseasonably cool and rainy morning here on Long Island, but my soul has been warmed listening to those songs that were contributed since I last posted here. Terrific performances, one and all.

We've 58 vids on the Playlist and what fine listening it is. Thank you all for your contributions.

I hope that in our remaining 3 days we'll continue to celebrate the fine contributions musicians have made to various causes round the world. Linda

Default Baby Baby - The Vibrators

Another tune covered by the pUKEs - and the final track on our album "Too Drunk To Pluck" - the Vibrators' "Baby, Baby."

A staple of our set, we've performed it on a number of occasions with the Vibrators' very own Knox Carnochan (he wrote it ☺), in support of his charity Rock & Roll Rescue, which raises funds from the sale of rock memorabilia for homeless charities in London and abroad. In this clip from December 2015, we're at London's famous Dublin Castle with Knox guesting on vocals (our sound was a bit much for the camera mic, I'm afraid).

Last September, we performed it at a fundraiser we hosted in support of the Princess Alice Hospice, who looked after Lindsay pUKE in the last months of her life - you can just see Lindsay in the video with Knox (in the clip linked above) in the flat cap far stage right.

The pUKEs play it in C. The Vibrators did it in B. I'm doing it in A.

Last edited by redpaul1; 04-20-2017 at 04:48 AM.
    Argapa custom piccolo | Argapa custom resonator soprano | Rob Collins custom soprano | Kavanagh custom concert | Ashton sop. | Clearwater SB electric concert | Kala PU-SSTU travel sopranissimo | Kala PU-SMH sopranissimo | Kala SSTU-BP soprano | Kala C/MU concert "The Mighty Uke"! | Kala SSTU-C concert | Kala SSTU-T tenor | Korala UKS-310 sop | Harley Benton BCJ100-FMH SB electric baritone | Lanikai S-B Baritone | Clearwater "long neck" baritone | Maholo sop. | Tiny Tangi

Too Drunk To Pluck

We interrupt this holiday to bring you another song. Different room, different shirt.
    The Clash took this old Sonny Curtis song into the charts in 1979. They played any number of benefit gigs, most famously a huge Rock Against Racism rally at Victoria Park in 1978.
    Soprano - KoAloha KSM-00, Maccaferri Islander
    Concert - Barron River Mahogany, Barron River Cypress, MyaMoe Koa, Johnny Marvin "Tenor"
    Sopranino - Rob Collins Cigar Box
    ...all with Worth strings
    ...and a few chords

Season 270. Submission 3. "Tennessee Waltz" (Words and music by Redd Stewart and Pee Wee King, 1948)

Well, a big part of me can't believe I'm going to try to sing this iconic song. So many phenomenal performers have covered this one. Here's a few Wikipedia facts that may be of interest:

The song became a multimillion seller via a 1950 recording – as "The Tennessee Waltz" – by Patti Page. As of 1974, it was the biggest selling song ever in Japan.

"The Tennessee Waltz" entered the Pop Music chart of Billboard dated November 10, 1950 for a 30-week chart run and peaked at number one on the December 30, 1950 chart; the track would remain at number one for a total of nine weeks.

In 1964 "Tennessee Waltz" was recorded in a rock and roll ballad style by Alma Cogan; this version was #1 in Sweden for five weeks and also reached #14 in Denmark while a German language rendering (with lyrics by Theo Hansen) reached #10 in Germany. Cogan's version served as template for the arrangement of the 1974 Danish-language rendering "Den Gamle Tennessee Waltz" by Birthe Kjær which spent 17 weeks in the Top Ten of the Danish hit parade with a two-week tenure at #1 also spending an additional eight weeks at #2. The arrangement of Cogan's version was also borrowed for remakes of "Tennessee Waltz" by Swedish singers Kikki Danielsson (Wizex (on the 1978 album Miss Decibel)[13]) and Lotta Engberg (on the 2000 album Vilken härlig dag)[14] and – with the German lyrics – by Heidi Brühl, Gitte, Renate Kern and Ireen Sheer.

Norah Jones performed "Tennessee Waltz" as an encore during a live show at the House of Blues in New Orleans on August 24, 2002. It is featured as extra material on the following DVD-release of the show.

Leonard Cohen released a live version of "Tennessee Waltz" recorded in 1985– one of the few covers he's ever cut – on his 2004 album Dear Heather; this version featured an additional verse written by Cohen himself.

And I bring it today because Kelly Clarkson has recorded this song. Here's info about a benefit she ran in 2014 (and repeated in 2016) in Nashville:

Clarkson’s first Miracle on Broadway concert took place in Music City in 2014; that year, the event raised $400,000 for the Fruition Fund, established by Clarkson through the Community Foundation of Middle Tennessee, which then distributed funds to the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Monroe Harding Children’s Home, the Second Harvest Food Bank and Thistle Farms. In 2016, proceeds from the Miracle on Broadway will benefit Abe’s Garden, the Nashville Public Library Fund, the Second Harvest Food Bank of Middle Tennessee and the W.O. Smith Nashville Community Music School — all charities selected by Clarkson.

The Wizard of Oz, (1939) by MGM was not a commercial success, in spite of its six Academy Award nominations and its revolutionary use of Technicolor!

"I'm melting! Melting! Oh, what a world!".

The 1956 broadcast television reintroduced the film to the wider public and eventually made the presentation an annual tradition, making it one of the best known films in movie history.

"Ignore the man behind the curtain!"

The Wizard of Oz in Concert: Dreams Come True was a 1995, benefit concert at Lincoln Center to benefit the Children's Defense Fund. The concert featured guest performers including Jackson Browne as the Scarecrow, Roger Daltrey as the Tin Man, Natalie Cole as Glinda, Joel Grey as the Wizard, Jewel as Dorothy, Nathan Lane as the Cowardly Lion, Debra Winger as the Wicked Witch, and Lucie Arnaz as Aunt Em. The Boys Choir of Harlem appeared as the Munchkins, and Ry Cooder and David Sanborn performed as musicians.
    "Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!"
    These songlets were originally performed by: , Ray Bolger, Judy Garland, Jack Haley/Buddy Ebsen and Bert Lahr.

"Lions and Tigers and Bears! Oh my!"

"Inspire me muse to sing of the wanderer, who sailed the wine dark sea and toppled the towers of Ilium"
    "Make a Joyous Noise"
    "Let there be song to fill the air"

Uncle Tommy's Holiday Camp

Have to admit I worked backwards with this one, Linda. I wanted to do the song, so I looked back to find a benefit concert connection. As it turned out, I found more connections than I expected with Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds' version. Although Australian, Nick Cave lives in Brighton on the South Coast of England, which is very close to where we lived in the UK. Whilst he has performed in many benefits, the ones that stood out for me were those he has taken part in for the David Lynch Foundation. The aim of the Foundation is to ensure that any child in America who wants to learn and practise the Transcendental Meditation programme can do so. I learnt how to practise TM quite a while ago (at a TM centre in Brighton!) and although I don't do it very frequently, I can see how it would prove very beneficial to any children wishing to learn. So, herewith .... "Something's Gotten Hold of My Heart"; and I apologise again for still having a cold!
    Walnut Flea Soprano, Eleuke Peanut, Rob Collins Soprano, Motu, Ukubidon, Gretsch Camp Ukulele, Tenor "Style Manouche", Hora mahogany Baritone, Roger Terry baritone, Sylvain Enjoubaut concert, Outdoor Ukulele (tenor), Ohana Vita, Ohana KA-6 (6-string tenor), DoudsandJo electro-acoustic tenor.

Thread Information