Season 270 - Be-Cause

Greetings,

This choice was inspired from the Hurricane Sandy benefit concerts, where Billy Joel was among the performers. Some thought of Sandy as a "rich people's storm" but that was not the case. The loss of life and homes were significant. In any case, this is NOT a political statement but a video of the storm. I know folks whose homes literally floated away into the ocean down in Southern NJ. Weird.

Here is the vid - Ciao

Delighted to be able to be back with you this week! This song was sung by UB40, (who hail from my home town) - at the concert held in Hyde Park, London 2 July 2005 "Live 8".... to raise awareness of the G8 Summit, "taking action against world poverty".

Live Aid was, of course, not simply, about raising money for Ethiopia. For the artists and groups participating it represented a glorious showcasing opportunity.

As it turned out, however, despite the global exposure granted via LiveAid, it did very little to change the trajectory of participants' careers. Those artists who were on the way up, U2, say, or Dire Straits, continued on the way up. Those who were on the way down, The Boomtown Rats, Adam Ant, The Cars, The Hooters (who? precisely), continued on their way down.

I loved the Hooters! Their lead singer also played the melodica.

Well, that brings today to a close for me. So many memories were returned to me as I listened to some of these songs. And how inviting some of these new songs were as well.

Thank you so very much. I look forward to tomorrow and everything you bring. Thank you. Linda :)

David Bowie played "Heroes" at Live Aid, with Thomas Dolby on keyboards. I just got today an effects box that makes sounds like a Mellotron keyboard, so I'm trying it out here. You can hear that the box picks up the noise from strumming the strings, and does weird bass things with it.

Last edited:
You must write a song or jingle for the upcoming election!!! We will sing it at all our meetups until the election for our new 6th district Congressman. It will become a meme, and you will be the hero who helped elect the best candidate!

Midnight Oil reformed to perform this at Sound Relief in 2009. Atb the time Peter Garrett was a minister in the federal government.

The original is just so much better than this feeble cover and really a must listen HERE.

This is Feelin Good originally written by Anthony Newly performed by many artists. This song was sung at a "Hugs for Charley" Benefit.
Charley is a 6 year old suffering from Leukemia. We do a Jazz Dance each year in our community to benefit community members suffering from cancer.
This is our Ukulele Group called "Forte' & the Pianissimos"

Last edited:

I can't believe Prince died a year ago. While he's known as an eccentric genius, he also raised money for Gallaudet University (a school that teaches blind and deaf students) and recorded a single in memory of Freddie Gray. I listed this as Cyndi Lauper because I know Prince's estate can be weird about covers of his songs, but Cyndi has also played at benefits for LGBTQIA causes.

The River

Famously (or infamously!) he turned down Live Aid, but given the number of causes Bruce Springsteen has played benefits in support, I'm surprised he hasn't featured more this Season. Notable of course are the Vietnam Veterans Association conc -erts (1981), the Amnesty International Tour in suport of the UNDHR (1988), the WTC benefit (2001), Sandy Relief (2012), the list goes on.

But maybe, in terms of their careers, the most significant benefit he and the E Street Band ever played, were the two in support of MUSE (Musicians For Safe Energy) held at Madison Square Garden in September 1979 – the concert that really catapulted them back (following the legal battles between star and manager that dragged on for three years following the release of 'Born To Run' 1975 and that threatened to stall their careers almost before they'd began) into the top ranks of rock stardom.

The standout number of the two shows was a new number, not yet released (that would be take another year) – The River.

He did it in Em. I'm attempting it in Dm.

Sorry the sound's so crackly; it's fine on the original, but the original had its sound stripped out by YT during processing :(

Last edited:
I loved the Hooters! Their lead singer also played the melodica.

Hahaha! Busted! Well - if you like bands that feature the melodica - look no further than the pUKEs! :-D

That's Lindsay on melodica, btw.

Last edited:
I am enjoying the music everyone is posting. This song - "Rhymes and Reasons" - was done by John Denver at the 1979 Gift of Song benefit for UNICEF.

Last edited:
This is Feelin Good originally written by Anthony Newly performed by many artists. This song was sung at a "Hugs for Charley" Benefit.
Charley is a 6 year old suffering from Leukemia. We do a Jazz Dance each year in our community to benefit community members suffering from cancer.
This is our Ukulele Group called "Forte' & the Pianissimos"

If you listen to nothing else listen to this one. It is inspiring and optimizes the season!

John Hiatt - Since 1996, the Concert for Cumberland Heights raises money for the John Hiatt Adolescent and Young Adult Treatment Fund at Cumberland Heights.

Because of outstanding volunteer involvement the evening has developed into a special annual event on the Nashville social calendar raising almost $2.5 million for adolescent and young adult patient care.

“Terms Of My Surrender” is the title track from Hiatt’s 22nd album released in 2014 and a fan favorite.

Great to see Surly-Mac doing his stuff in the seasons. He explains why John Hiatt is an artist who can be shared this week.

This is Face of God from the album "Terms of My Surrender" - Scott does a great job on the title track - HERE.

Last edited:
Another one from the Live 8 concert in Hyde Park, 2005 - "awareness of the G8 summit, taking action against poverty" .... Ms Dynamite, a rapper, did Redemption Song. A favourite song of mine by Bob Marley and the Wailers...

Last edited:
I had thought that we could only play songs that were played at a benefit concert, but reading the themepost closer it says we can play any song ever done by an artist who performed at a benefit concert. And since this song was perfect for using my new Mellotron simulator box, I'm doing it. This is "Afterglow" by Genesis, sung and drummed by Phil Collins, who played in both the London and Philly shows of Live Aid.

Top Bottom