Season 270 - Be-Cause

Season 270 of the Ukulele - Songs by artists who have done benefit concerts. Jimmy Buffett has done a few of them - the most recent I'm aware of was in 2013 Kokua For The Phillipines where it was a benefit for victims of Typhoon Haiyan.

The song begins with lyrics in Tahitian:

Ia ora te natura
E mea arofa teie ao nei

Translated into English as:

"Nature lives (life to nature)
Have pity for the Earth (Love the Earth)"

One of my favorite songs of his.

Just did a quick redo of another Paul Kelly song.
I've done both of these Paul Kelly songs before and I don't think there is any improvement really just wanted to share them this season.
I know our host recently did a beaut version of this one...

Thanks so much for that nod and posting the link, Pa. You led me to that song with your first performance and sold me again on your stunning performance posted here for this Season. This song belongs to you.

Two for the price of one here. Performed by Ringo Starr at the Concert For George, and co-written by George, of Concert for Bangladesh fame. Another one from the holiday cottage studio...

Last great American whale

Lou Reed sings of a mythical animal. He performed this song at Farm
Aid in 1990
. I can only imagine that the farmers would have been totally confused. I know I am.

Greetings

Awesome theme. Net Aid from Giants Stadium in 1999 had great performers. I will check out a few as I was there. :) and have one of my favs in mind. ��

Neil Young, Farm Aid, several times. Need to work on this one more. It's too fun to ignore.

Played on my new, el cheapo Makala concert w/pickup so I can amp this boy for jams!

Greetings

Awesome theme. Net Aid from Giants Stadium in 1999 had great performers. I will check out a few as I was there. :) and have one of my favs in mind. ��

Thanks, Gina, and can't wait to see what you bring! No one else has chosen from Net Aid yet. :)

Rick played some Neil Young due to the Farm Aid concerts.
Neil ain't afraid to take a side ...

Although the notion that the First Nations people were given anything but a hard time is a bit of a stretch....oh but plenty has and is still being taken.

Be-Cause You're Young

The pUKEs have performed at many a benefit concert, usually in aid of some obscure charity or other. I'd have no problem with bringing the songs. I'd just have to try and remember what cause we were supporting that week!! :)

Paul, what's a Google for ......other than pUKEs recall assistance? ;) Can't wait to hear what you bring!

Well, in the end, I went back through my collection of setlists :)

And what better title with which to join this Season's party than Be-Cause You're Young?

Last edited:
Well, what a terrific start for Season 270. Lots of benefits and performers represented, with Farm Aid getting the most air time so far.

Our Playlist should contain everything posted thus far. Please do check along the way to ensure I get every vid on it.

Thank you so very much for a fine day of fine music. Off to bed for me now. Linda :)

Last edited:
Ronnie James Dio, Hear 'n Aid, 1985. Because I've just been waiting for a season in which I could cover Charley Pride and Ronnie James Dio in the same day.

This is from one of my favorite metal albums, and this song is one of my top favorite songs. I wish I could do it justice.

P.S. Don't worry, I won't have time to crank out 4 songs a day for the rest of the week. I had a lot of free time today, so I took advantage of it.

Last edited:
270-2

Shelter from the Storm: A Concert for the Gulf Coast was a one-hour, commercial-free benefit concert television special that aired simulcast worldwide on September 9, 2005 at 8 p.m. ET/CT live (with a 30-second tape delay) from New York City and Los Angeles and tape delayed in the Mountain Time Zone and Pacific Time Zones. The special raised money for the relief efforts from the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. It was broadcast in over 100 different countries. All proceeds went to the American Red Cross or The Salvation Army.

Status Quo kicked off Live Aid with this one. Richard Skinner did the introduction.

Hi Linda ... and Happy Easter! Sort of stuck in last week with this one as I haven't quite been able to get out of "Emmylou Harris" mode. Actually, Andrew M. "Libranian" suggested I should do this one; or, at least, I THINK he did! It does tie in with this week's theme of benefit concerts, though, as E.H. has been involved in many of these, perhaps the most recent being the "Lampadusa: Concerts for Refugees", which toured in selected US cities last October. My apologies for the "country" accent, channelled via Southern England, and for the fact that I am rapidly losing my voice (haven't quite decided whether I have a cold or hay fever.)

Don't Fence Me In - Red Hot & Blue

I'm still on a Western kick too. DFMI is often credited simply to Cole Porter, but in fact Porter (for once) worked up a set of lyrics supplied to him in 1934 by film producer Lou Brock, who wanted them for a soundtrack to a movie he was producing: 'Adios, Argentina.' Brock in his turn had obtained the lyrics from one Rob Fletcher, a Montana poet and (MT) Department of Highways engineer.
In the end, the movie was shelved, and the song did not re-surface until 1944's 'Hollywood Canteen', where it was performed by Roy Rogers and the Sons of the Pioneers (Bing Crosby also recorded a version, with the Andrews Sisters, that same year).
Although the published music gave sole credit to Porter, (Fletcher had signed away the rights to his lyrics in 1934 for $250, and Porter had in any case developed them considerably, as well as providing the two added verses), Porter did later sign over to Fletcher a portion of the song's royalties in recognition of his contribution (read more about the story here).

Performed by David Byrne for the album Red, Hot And Blue, the first release by the Red Hot Organisation, a charitable foundation dedicated to fighting AIDS through pop culture. The album was released in 1990 and both ABC-TV (US) and C4 (UK) ran TV specials featuring the album to raise money for the foundation's work on World AIDS Day 1900.

If I'd had a proper mixing deck I'd have taken the sound on the uke down a bit, but I spent a long time researching the chords to this one. If the pUKEs ever heard me playing anything as jazzy as this, I'd be thrown out on my ear!

Code:
Don't Fence Me In
(Cole Porter/Rob Fletcher (1934/1944))

F6   Bb  F6     Bb             F     C 
Wild cat Kelly, lookin' mighty pale, was
F                         Gm7   C7 
Standin' by the sheriff's side__  and
F6   Bb   F6      F7 
When that sheriff said "I'm 
Bb      Fdim   F    C7 
Sending you to jail 
F    Dm7 Bb         C7