Finish on Chinese ukes

PhilUSAFRet

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I just received a uke from China with a very high gloss finish. It was damaged in shipping due to a flimsy shipping carton and little padding. The finish is damaged/fractured in an oval area of about 1/2" x 3/4" above and below the binding. Anyone know the most likely finish used? If I end up keeping the uke, I am thinking of using an appropriate solvent to "melt" the fracture so it will nearly disappear. Anyone?

You might try contacting the manufacturer to see what you can find out what the actual finish is. It has been my experience that most ukes coming out of China have a polyurethane or polyester type of finish. This is a very hard plastic and once it has cured, can not be repaired in the melding process as you describe. I know of no finish that will stick to it once it has cured. Sometimes the cracks are filled with thin super glues and allowed to harden on and under the cracks and then sanded and buffed out. I find this type of repair unsightly and would not do it for that reason alone. Sorry about the damage, good luck.

I just received a uke from China with a very high gloss finish. It was damaged in shipping due to a flimsy shipping carton and little padding. The finish is damaged/fractured in an oval area of about 1/2" x 3/4" above and below the binding. Anyone know the most likely finish used? If I end up keeping the uke, I am thinking of using an appropriate solvent to "melt" the fracture so it will nearly disappear. Anyone?

Thank you very much. I was afraid that may be the case. I'll just return it unless the seller offers me a good enough incentive to keep it.

Top Bottom