Uke Strap Install for National Resonator?

rhiggie

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hi all, I recently upgraded to a National NRP resonator concert uke that I plan to play sometimes in an all uke band I'm in. Resonators aren't known for their feather weight and add to that the fact that they are slippery and you end up with something hard to hang onto, standup, and play. I've looked all over the net for how to attach a strap button to the bottom of the body and can't find anything, not even a photo of one installed. Is there a problem drilling into the body? Will a sheet metal screw work? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Rick

Maybe check with National and see what they recommend. This is their contact link: http://www.nationalguitars.com/cont...ive instrument, and I'd want to get it right.

I have a vintage National Duolian and that sucker weights 8-9 pounds, but I sure wouldn't drill it. I think it would affect resale too. However they have a button where the tail piece connects at the base.

Because you have a new one without the tail piece, there's no pre-drilled hole and no button at the base. I am wondering if you could take a strap with a thinner end and just put a double set of holes in it that the bolts at the top (bass) side of your hand rest could go through.

Basically take the hand rest off, put two holes in the end of the strap for the mounting bolts to go through and sandwich between the hand rest and body. An issue I see could be that the bolts wouldn't be long enough to compensate for that width, so it needs to be strong but thin. I would imagine that National can send you longer screws if they think that is an option, of tell you the size. They look like small Allen head machine bolts. You want to be precise and careful so the bolt holes don't get stripped.

The other issue is the strap might get in your way. You could test positions out with a long shoelace or two tied together to find balance points. It could also go on the underside of the rest, but that tends to make the instrument want to roll. Then you might as well use the strap that connects at the sound hole. If you tuck the bottom end of the uke under your arm, you could try a Uke Leash. Another option is the Hug Strap, that goes all the way around the middle between the two bouts. Both should come up on Google, I can't do all the work for you, LOL. :cool:

I just sold a concert reso to another UU member who tried a Mobius Strap on it to avoid drilling. He's extremely happy with the way it works.
http://mobiusstrap.com/

Wasn't there a similar thread to this the other week?
Anyway, what I do avoids all drilling.
Tie a shoelace in a loop around the bridge cover plate. (The little bit that goes over the biscuit.) Then use a 'G' string and use the hook to connect to the shoelace. Adjust to fit.
This system is used by all the best people, me, Del Rey. :)
h

Del, your idea is interesting, but I'm not sure I'm clear about hooking a G string to the shoelace, can you post a photo?

I'd be sure Iknew what I was doing, but I'm pretty sure the value of your uke will not depreciate with a properly installed strap pin. There is no way I can play anything except simple first position strumming without a strap and all of my ukes, including reso, have a strap button.

I liked Del's idea with a minor modification. Since my Reso had a strap button on the neck heal, I tied the lace through the top of the bridge cover, and then to the other end of the strap. Uke stays pretty centered and I believe the bridge cover can handle the little weight since it's pulling straight up. Jim, you say you have a strap button on your reso. Is it wood body or metal? If metal did you drill it? And if that answer is yes then finally, did you use a sheet metal screw or open up the front and put a bolt and nut on the button?

Del, your idea is interesting, but I'm not sure I'm clear about hooking a G string to the shoelace, can you post a photo?

Kohanmike, not sure if that's a tongue in cheek reply, however, the 'G' string I am referring to is the neck strap that hooks into the sound hole, instead of putting it in the soundhole, put the loop of shoelace into it the hook at the end of it.

You wouldn't want to see a photo of me in my G string!

h

ps I'm h not Del , she is the one who I first saw using the shoelace system.

Top Bottom