Blackbird Farrallon Tenor-anyone own one out there?

Here are a few pictures. For the sound sample, you better listen to Corey :)
View attachment 99406View attachment 99407View attachment 99408

Well it's certainly hard to tell from the photos, but I'm surprised at how large the sound port looks. I was expecting more like what I have on the side of my cheap Riptide ukulele (see below).

attachment.php

H82885000000000-00-500x500.jpg

Well it's certainly hard to tell from the photos, but I'm surprised at how large the sound port looks. I was expecting more like what I have on the side of my cheap Riptide ukulele (see below).

attachment.php

H82885000000000-00-500x500.jpg

Well that sound port is my fault......if you don't like. I will take credit for it if you do, lol. Back in January I approached Joe from Blackbird about doing a sound port. They had one in the new Savoy guitar but it was small, round and had a grommet in it, not appealing. So I sent Joe some pics and dimensions of ukes I had with sound ports. He discussed it with his engineering department and said they would do it for me as a one off custom.

I guess they liked the results of testing so much they are now offering it as an option, which that photo shows, I am still waiting for mine. Below is a picture of the sound port on my LfdM they decided to use. Joe knows Luis and respects his expertise.

14931247223141232995491.jpg

Haha I don't want to share or even steal your credit but Joe asked me a picture with an example of sound port as well some time ago. I used my Moore Bettah as example. I think I have the first Farallon he actually made with a sound port, and he started to offer the option immediately after he shipped my uke, saying he was very happy with the result.

Of course I'm just bragging for the sake of it, don't take it seriously ;-)
I actually think that after Blackbird received a few requests for a side sound port they decided to offer the option.

Anyone has experience with a Farallon in high G. There is a sample by on HMS but I keep hear darker voice . I wonder how the high G is and how much a difference strings make. I'm looking at radius and side sound port.

I have a Clara and I suspect that the Farallon is similar enough to risk answering:

- The Clara is quite responsive to string changes. There is a large difference in sound between various strings. I suspect that this is due to the overall responsiveness of the Blackbird design and construction methods. I currently have a set of Aquila Red high G strings on my Clara, which is a huge difference from the Oasis Warm low G set I had on it prior. The Oasis gave a huge, warm sound, while the Aquila Reds are lighter and sweeter (A reasonable amount of this is due to high vs. low G). I don't get such a large change by making a similar switch on my Flea.

thinking hard about purchase of one. I did a search here but came up empty-I probably didn't word it right.

Anyone with a lot of hands on, would love to hear your thoughts.

I owned a Clara, really liked that, I'm more used to tenor size and I think I would like one with radius.

thank you
d

To answer the OP's question:
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...ught-a-Blackbird-Farallon-Ukulele-quot-Thread

And:
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?120234-NUD-Blackbird-Farallon

Love mine! Cheers, UU.

I have a Farallon with the radius fretboard and I love it- also have a Clara with the radius fretboard. Farallon high g and Clara low g. Played the Farallon with the new sound port at the recent RenoFest and Joe and I discussed whether or not I should send mine back to update with sound port. Decided against- Joe told me he thought that the soundport mostly benefited the Farallon if strung low g but I string mine high g. Of course, Joe may have said that to save me some money since I've already spent so much already with 2 Blackbirds. You may want to ask Joe this question in particular for more info.

Hi Emma,

I'm glad you mentioned that- it hadn't occurred to me I would have the option to have the sound port added! Hmmm.. SPAS (sound port acquistion syndrome..)

I have a Farallon with the radius fretboard and I love it- also have a Clara with the radius fretboard. Farallon high g and Clara low g. Played the Farallon with the new sound port at the recent RenoFest and Joe and I discussed whether or not I should send mine back to update with sound port. Decided against- Joe told me he thought that the soundport mostly benefited the Farallon if strung low g but I string mine high g. Of course, Joe may have said that to save me some money since I've already spent so much already with 2 Blackbirds. You may want to ask Joe this question in particular for more info.

Back to etudes- Haha, It hadn't occurred to me either about adding the soundhole but Joe himself brought it up as I admired the one at the Reno UkeFest. It IS beautiful looking. Anyway, talk to Joe- I like him a lot and feel he's a very trustworthy guy. Good luck and I'd love to hear back what you decide.

Back to etudes- Haha, It hadn't occurred to me either about adding the soundhole but Joe himself brought it up as I admired the one at the Reno UkeFest. It IS beautiful looking. Anyway, talk to Joe- I like him a lot and feel he's a very trustworthy guy. Good luck and I'd love to hear back what you decide.

I emailed Joe and was pleased to get a response back today. His comment echoed what you mentioned that "it only really makes sense for a Farallon with low G tuning". I plan to keep it in low G. (The Pono cedar/rosewood tenor sounds so great with high G so I've got that base covered). So my inclination is to go for it. Would be interested in any other thoughts on sound ports. What would be the downside?

I emailed Joe and was pleased to get a response back today. His comment echoed what you mentioned that "it only really makes sense for a Farallon with low G tuning". I plan to keep it in low G. (The Pono cedar/rosewood tenor sounds so great with high G so I've got that base covered). So my inclination is to go for it. Would be interested in any other thoughts on sound ports. What would be the downside?

I have tenors with and without soundports. If I am ordering a custom and a sound port is available I will always get one. I cannot think of any disadvantages in my experience with both types.

I have tenors with and without soundports. If I am ordering a custom and a sound port is available I will always get one. I cannot think of any disadvantages in my experience with both types.

I'll push the trust button and go for it! Thanks.

Top Bottom