Headstock preference - Single Sided, or . . .

Headstock Preference?

• Total voters

Kekani

Reaction score
image.jpg
image.jpg
This is not a poll just for discussion, although discussion is certainly welcome. I'd appreciate your input to grab stats on current preferences for headstock design. I, along with some other builders, do different headstocks, and I don't think it's common to do so, outside of doing slotted.

Given two instruments built exactly the same, which headstock would you pick for yourself, or for someone else? Or would you get both? Naturally, these are not instruments readily available, if that makes a difference.

Attached are the headstocks for this poll, although the builds actually differ slightly - Koa Back & Sides, Spruce top, Koa bindings/rosette/end graft etc are all the same; fretboard and bridge are different.

Thank you in advance for participating. And please add comments on why, if you feel the need, even if it's as simple as "my preference" or "I don't like the look of. . ." Yes, not rocket science, but hopefully this focus group in the underground (you) can help me measure where the current temperature is for this topic.

Edit: shucks, I meant to post this in Uke Talk. Anyone know how to move a thread?

Last edited:
I find the one-sided headstock intriguing as it's different, so it's an attention-getter, but I would still go for the traditional headstock if I bought the ukulele. I prefer the look, aesthetically. The single-sided one looks like an e-guitar's headstock.

(I'll flag the post for you so that a moderator sees and moves the thread.)

Last edited:
I choose the double sided. I simply prefer the look.

Nelson

Traditional. I'm a sucker for symmetry. I also like "banjo style" with the knobs at the back of the headstock as opposed to sticking out on the sides. May not be as "easy" to tune, but I spend more time playing than tuning.... unlike my banjo.

I strongly favor the traditional headstock. Part of the issue is countering the impression of some that the ukulele is a child's version of a guitar. For whatever reason the single sided implies, to me, "I'd rather be playing a Stratocaster if I only could."

More simply: It's just plain wrong! (But I'm nonetheless glad there are variations in styles and design out there.)

Im a sucker for the classical look.

Sorry to hijack your Thread, Aaron.

Just curious ... are you opposed to building slotted headstocks on your ukes? I haven't seen any of your ukes with a slotted headstock whatsoever. I also know that you're a bass player, which is why you make the single sided headstocks. IMHO, slotted headstocks give a uke an understated look of elegance and a look of a "High End" instrument, especially when prices are over $1000 and up. My preference is definitely a uke with a slotted headstock.

I would have pulled the trigger on one of your ukes over the years ... if it only had a slotted headstock.

Last edited:
I like the more traditional look. The headstock with the tuners on one side makes the ukulele look like a mini Fender guitar, and I don't like my ukuleles to look any more like a mini guitar than they already do.

As a left-handed player I'm rarely keen on anything about the design of a ukulele that detracts from its symmetry; although I appreciate that if it's a custom build then it could be made one way around or t'other (so long as an expensive jig isn't required for the construction).

Sorry to hijack your Thread, Aaron.

Just curious ... are you opposed to building slotted headstocks on your ukes? I haven't seen any of your ukes with a slotted headstock whatsoever. I also know that you're a bass player, which is why you make the single sided headstocks. IMHO, slotted headstocks give a uke an understated look of elegance and a look of a "High End" instrument, especially when prices are over $1000 and up. My preference is definitely a uke with a slotted headstock.

I would have pulled the trigger on one of your ukes over the years ... if it only had a slotted headstock.

Not a hijack at all, and I figured there would be a sidebar on slotted. I've done slotted headstock, actually have one on my bench right now. It's not something I do often, as it raises the cost of the instrument by about $300 (tuning machines are a big part of that). I agree with the look of slotted, but no real space to inlay, although one that I did has an inlay, as will the one I have now. I left out slotted intentionally, because I know if a client wants one, I don't have to ask them.

Oddly, the reason I started doing single sided is not because I'm a bass player - if you ever see my bass, it is my asymmetrical "traditional" that I do on ukulele. I started doing single sided years ago, specifically because it wasn't something you could find "off the rack", at the time. Statistically, my client ratio that orders single sided is WAY different than this poll would suggest.

Point for the traditionalists - I've seen comments about "traditional" and "symmetrical". If you closely at the "traditional" headstock, it's not symmetrical, on purpose.

At this point in the game, it's 20:1. Note: I put images specifically because those are the two headstocks I do now, and want to get a feel for preference for those headstocks. I realize in the big scope of things, everything below the nut is what really matters to players, but that doesn't mean the overall "look" doesnt' come into play. Plus there are advantages of the single sided, not mentioned here (but mentioned in the lounge), which is why I posted here, and not there (thanks Mivo!). I don't want to functionally swing the vote, although I may have just now. :cool:

Solid traditional head stock with Gotoh UTP tuners everyday. I don't like the single sided as it reminds me too much of an electric guitar. I love back facing UPT tuners. The head stock design and contour can take center stage better if "Mikey Mouse ears" aren't sticking out the sides. Although that is my second choice with the right tuners

Plus there are advantages of the single sided, not mentioned here (but mentioned in the lounge), which is why I posted here, and not there (thanks Mivo!). I don't want to functionally swing the vote, although I may have just now. :cool:

Too late! ;) What are the functional advantages of the one-sided headstock?

The only time I've seen a single sided headstock it was a Fender. I always associate that design with that brand.
Personally I prefer the look of slotted headstock but that's not an option here
But of the two options I would pick traditional.

Traditional looks more balanced to me.

Traditional. More than being just a sucker for symmetry, I'll say that I'm actually bothered by asymmetry. It's why I personally hate cutaways, f-style mandolins, and pickguards on instruments, as well.

bratsche

Traditional, because it's...traditional. I think the symmetrical look of a two-sided headstock balances better with the symmetry of the body. The one-sided headstock looks like it's trying too hard to be something it's not.

I liked one sided on my starts. For ukulele I like traditional w 2 per side. Can't wait to get ukulele with UPTs so sided.

Top Bottom