Headstock preference - Single Sided, or . . .

Headstock Preference?

• Total voters
Though I voted for "traditional," I have to say, I do appreciate unique uke designs. However, it'd have to be more than just an unconventional headstock but a uke that otherwise looks normal. It'd have to have some other distinguishing feature, then I'd think "That's the guy who makes original-looking ukes" as opposed to "that's the guy who makes ukes with the Fender headstock."

For those that study process management, how's this for an out of control point:

In conversation today, I was told that THE icing on the cake for one of my instruments was the headstock design. Maybe I'm exaggerating what I heard, but its a data point nonetheless.

I guess to be realistic, I'd have to weight the responses because in the end (or right now anyway), 2x2 seems the way to go by far.

Does this affect what design I should lean toward? Honestly, I'm not sure. Most of my clients aren't here. Of course, that's an assumption. . .

For those that study process management, how's this for an out of control point:

In conversation today, I was told that THE icing on the cake for one of my instruments was the headstock design. Maybe I'm exaggerating what I heard, but its a data point nonetheless.

I guess to be realistic, I'd have to weight the responses because in the end (or right now anyway), 2x2 seems the way to go by far.

Does this affect what design I should lean toward? Honestly, I'm not sure. Most of my clients aren't here. Of course, that's an assumption. . .

well... I'm not sure it's wrong.

Like.. if you're doing that cresting wave inlay, then the fender head lends itself to it.

But on a more traditional uke, with traditional appointments, I think the 2x2 fits better aesthetically

The same as many posters, I prefer the traditional design both because of symmetry and that it looks more like (I imagine) an ukulele should look. I do like that Fender ukes have their own unique look because, hey, you're buying a Fender, but that's just about it.

Because most of the respondents here have likely never used a single sided headstock, & maybe don't understand how much easier it is to use to tune up with one, & the fact that it keeps the strings in line at the headstock, that is why they have voted traditional. ;)

I prefer the traditional slotted headstock, but eventually I would love to have a single sided headstock uke.

Here's my take on the all-in-a-line headstock with a few curves thrown in. Thanks for the reminder Aaron, I need to do more of these. As an inlay artist the shape offers possibilities that a traditional shaped headstock doesn't. And as a builder......well, you just get bored some times doing the same old thing.
(This uke was built for Ledward Kaapana. He didn't care for the Pegheds and I later switched the tuners out for Gotoh UPTs.)

Attachments

• DSC_0017 copy.jpg
    DSC_0017 copy.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC_0014 copy.jpg
    DSC_0014 copy.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 29
I picked both, only because I like the way a trad headstock looks a little better. I don't own a side mount one, but it's nice because it'd be easier to tune. It might take a longer case???
Although, I don't like geared tuners. Don't like the way they stick out. No one needs to see them. I like my tuners in the back.

I prefer the traditional headstock with friction pegs for aesthetic reasons. The "ears" of the tuner pegs sticking out from the headstock spoil the balance of the headstock and look out of place, especially on the smaller sizes but it's true that gear tuners are easier to tune up, though friction pegs are easier when changing strings :). I don't have a problem with friction pegs though the planetary geared tuners do make it easier, combining the advantages of a better balanced look with finer control.

I've two ukes now with slotted headstocks and I like those as they combine the best of both worlds with the fine control of geared tuners and a better balanced look to the headstock.

It's highly unlikely I'll ever be in a position to buy any of those elaborately decorated ukes shown in this thread or if I am, I'll be at an age that I won't want to be waiting for it to be made as I would risk not being around when it's ready!

I don't like the single-sided one at all

Traditional lover here! :)

Here's my take on the all-in-a-line headstock with a few curves thrown in. Thanks for the reminder Aaron, I need to do more of these. As an inlay artist the shape offers possibilities that a traditional shaped headstock doesn't. And as a builder......well, you just get bored some times doing the same old thing.
(This uke was built for Ledward Kaapana. He didn't care for the Pegheds and I later switched the tuners out for Gotoh UPTs.)
Chuck, if you look at the poll, traditional outweighs single by far. Admittedly, there are some single sided ones I don't care for - yours is not one of them. I also like Derek's and Bob's. What's up with you Big Island guys?

As you stated though, sometimes (most times) I prefer doing single sides, and I've done more as of late. Everyone makes a traditional, and I think most of us started before Fender came out with their ukulele line. In retrospect, I should've posted exactly which traditional and single-sided headstocks I'm referring to, rather than just "generic", mostly because my "traditional" is actually assymetrical by design, and I came up with that as an offshoot of my single, whereas I think most come up with their single as an offshoot of their traditional.

Last edited:
sorry Aaron I voted for both sides...I thought you meant back strap of not....lol
did not read the thread before I voted...but I do like both headstocks equally even though all my ukes have either the traditional headstock and tuners or Gotoh UPTs

Last edited:
Top Bottom