View Poll Results: Headstock Preference?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Single sided

4 4.49%
  • Traditional

73 82.02%
  • Both

12 13.48%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Headstock preference - Single Sided, or . . .

Quote Originally Posted by slackkey007 View Post
    Sorry to hijack your Thread, Aaron.

Just curious ... are you opposed to building slotted headstocks on your ukes? I haven't seen any of your ukes with a slotted headstock whatsoever. I also know that you're a bass player, which is why you make the single sided headstocks. IMHO, slotted headstocks give a uke an understated look of elegance and a look of a "High End" instrument, especially when prices are over $1000 and up. My preference is definitely a uke with a slotted headstock.

I would have pulled the trigger on one of your ukes over the years ... if it only had a slotted headstock.
    Not a hijack at all, and I figured there would be a sidebar on slotted. I've done slotted headstock, actually have one on my bench right now. It's not something I do often, as it raises the cost of the instrument by about $300 (tuning machines are a big part of that). I agree with the look of slotted, but no real space to inlay, although one that I did has an inlay, as will the one I have now. I left out slotted intentionally, because I know if a client wants one, I don't have to ask them.

Oddly, the reason I started doing single sided is not because I'm a bass player - if you ever see my bass, it is my asymmetrical "traditional" that I do on ukulele. I started doing single sided years ago, specifically because it wasn't something you could find "off the rack", at the time. Statistically, my client ratio that orders single sided is WAY different than this poll would suggest.

Point for the traditionalists - I've seen comments about "traditional" and "symmetrical". If you closely at the "traditional" headstock, it's not symmetrical, on purpose.

At this point in the game, it's 20:1. Note: I put images specifically because those are the two headstocks I do now, and want to get a feel for preference for those headstocks. I realize in the big scope of things, everything below the nut is what really matters to players, but that doesn't mean the overall "look" doesnt' come into play. Plus there are advantages of the single sided, not mentioned here (but mentioned in the lounge), which is why I posted here, and not there (thanks Mivo!). I don't want to functionally swing the vote, although I may have just now.

Solid traditional head stock with Gotoh UTP tuners everyday. I don't like the single sided as it reminds me too much of an electric guitar. I love back facing UPT tuners. The head stock design and contour can take center stage better if "Mikey Mouse ears" aren't sticking out the sides. Although that is my second choice with the right tuners
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kekani View Post
    Plus there are advantages of the single sided, not mentioned here (but mentioned in the lounge), which is why I posted here, and not there (thanks Mivo!). I don't want to functionally swing the vote, although I may have just now.
    Too late! What are the functional advantages of the one-sided headstock?

The only time I've seen a single sided headstock it was a Fender. I always associate that design with that brand.
    Personally I prefer the look of slotted headstock but that's not an option here
    But of the two options I would pick traditional.
    You don't stop playing when you get old. You get old when you stop playing

Tanglewood TU13M concert called Kalea
    My facebook- http://www.facebook.com/lozzie.green

Traditional looks more balanced to me.
    - Laura

Sopranino - Vintage 1930's Camp Uke (Birch)
    Soprano - Koaloha Opio (Sapele), Martin OXK (HPL), Brueko No. 2 (Maple), Kala ASOV -S (Spruce/Ovangkol), Vintage 40's Silvertone (Mahogany), Vintage 50's Harmony (Birch), Zither Heaven (1 Black Walnut & 1 Cherry), First Act Discovery (Plastic)
    Concert - Luna (Spruce top)
    Tenor - Outdoor Ukulele (Composite Polycarbonate), Mainland (Mahogany)

Traditional. More than being just a sucker for symmetry, I'll say that I'm actually bothered by asymmetry. It's why I personally hate cutaways, f-style mandolins, and pickguards on instruments, as well.

bratsche
    A bunch of stringed instruments tuned in fifths. And a bunch of cats!

"There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!

Traditional, because it's...traditional. I think the symmetrical look of a two-sided headstock balances better with the symmetry of the body. The one-sided headstock looks like it's trying too hard to be something it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by Kekani View Post
    .... Statistically, my client ratio that orders single sided is WAY different than this poll would suggest.
    ....At this point in the game, it's 20:1.
    I'm guessing I'm that '1' .......... I did say I like 'different'.......
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.
    Formerly known as uke1950.

I like the traditional style with tuners sticking out the back.
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBD
    Kala tenor eight string - gG cC EE AA
    Gold Tone tenor banjolele - Hi-D GBD

Luna "Peace" concert - Lo-G CEA
    Flea "Red" concert - Hi-G CEA

Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B
    Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano (Dad's Day gift) - C
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift - C

Thank the Lord for the memories about the good old days.

God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

I liked one sided on my starts. For ukulele I like traditional w 2 per side. Can't wait to get ukulele with UPTs so sided.

Thread Information